UKC or AKC>>> Which Siberian Husky?

Pack Leader:The point for falsely registering a dog is so that the breeder can "claim" it's AKC registered and charge more for the dog. Have you ever notice the price difference between a "AKC rigisterd" and one that is not.

Over here in the UK there is not always a great price difference between KC registered and non-KC registered dogs. Some of the worst puppy farmers charge some of the highest prices for the poor quality dogs they produce.

I agree there is a justification for the AKC and i will retracted my "joke" statement, however because DNA technologies has come so far are you suggesting that AKC is more accurate and/or Important than a proper DNA test?

Well from my point of view as the owner of 13 Siberians, KC registration and the KC pedigrees give me much more useful information than any DNA test could. My knowledge of the breed tells me that there is no doubt whatever that all my dogs are purebred sibes, and my knowledge and trust of the breeders from whom my bloodlines come assures me that the information in the KC records is accurate and honest.

Pack Leader: As little as 5/6 years ago cars "were" the best we had by a long long way but now in 2009/2010 we have care that are even better than they were. Meaning i will continue to look and relay on technologies/methods to better improve the system and most of all assurance of a purebred whenever it is available. It is better to travel with a spare tire even if the spare is never used than traveling without a spare.

Until there is a full database of the DNA profiles of all Siberian Huskies, then DNA testing, no matter how sophisticated will always be an incomplete science. Even if we started such a database today, the KC registries would still be a more useful source of information for the sibe owner than DNA testing for the forseeable future. Eventually, when/if a comprehensive DNA database does exist, it will actually be useful as an adjunct to KC registration, not a replacement.

Mick

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I am curious about this too...seeing as My parents huskies were abit taller than the ones I see here (hawaii) and their fur looked like pic 1 from the first post. I was a little surprised when one day at the dog park all the huskies seemed quite small compared to what im used to.

Could someone tell me stuff about NKC and UKC?? There was a lady with an ad yesterday saying she had an NKC registered husky, and i know plenty on AKC but not the other two.

As far as I can see, the NKC (National Kennel Club) is like the UKC - a commercial organisation set up to provide dodgy registrations to people who for whatever reason, could not or did not want to get their dogs AKC registered.

As far as your dogs are concerned, the best and most useful comparison is not with other peoples' dogs, but with the breed standard. Check out the breed standard here and see how your dogs compare:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/index.cfm

and

http://www.kossok.com/kossok/Introduction.html

Mick

Ok thanks, I was wondering because when I was a kid and hellped to raise our husky pups I had never once heard of NKC, and now its seems to be quite prevelent. Here in Hawaii, I dont often see many AKC registered dogs (there are some im sure) but I always see NKC, and especially NKC from autralia. I was especially curious after a woman posted to craigslist yesterday and was attacked by others, and yet i know for a fact that there are at least 3 huge pet stores here that sell off pups with NKC registration, and of course none who sell with AKC papers.

Im not against any puppy for any reason as its never the puppy's fault that a puppy farm produced them and they are sitting in a petstore or are being hoarded by BYBers...but this is getting a bit rediculous. It seems that these other registries are going to up the anti and make AKC pups more expensive...as well as more valuable...especially if AKC is the only registry that keeps the breeds to a standard...although there are BYBers who are breeding carelessly so that soon even AKC pups will have very few pups registered that meet the standard.

I posted one time on craigslist about puppy health and the real need (especially in Hawaii were animal illnesses are rampant) for a pup to have shots and that I feel that a truly valuable pup means that you get AKC papers so that you are more likely to have information on the dogs in its line (for health reasons, hip displaysia, heart problems, etc) and I was immediately deleted and told I was a jerk because "im just a snob toward mixed breed dogs." I really thing that if you're going to pay $600 to 3,000.00 for a pup you should be able to find out where the pup came from and if there were ever genetic or other illnesses in the lines that you may have to worry about later.

I was a bit beside myself with the giggles because little do these folks know...Ive got a mixed breed dog, and I love him to death but I do wish I could know more about his ancestry.

Until there is a full database of the DNA profiles of all Siberian Huskies, then DNA testing, no matter how sophisticated will always be an incomplete science. Even if we started such a database today, the KC registries would still be a more useful source of information for the sibe owner than DNA testing for the forseeable future. Eventually, when/if a comprehensive DNA database does exist, it will actually be useful as an adjunct to KC registration, not a replacement.

Mick

Pack Leader:Didnt say DNA should be the only way but that the AKC should have this as an requirement. FYI such a data base does exist and it traces back to the origins of breeds. Also it will clearly and unmistakably show that a puppy parents are A and B in addition to the AKC pedigree.

Consider this, i am thinking of registering Lana with the AKC for people that are solely dependent on AKC. I do see it's importances as well as its flaw.

Ok since this is already a running thread I would like to pose an honest question. As I said before I am not a snob and a good dog is a good dog to me...

I have noticed in the last 5 years that there are more and more people selling dogs that are registered (and also unaltered/not spayed or neutered) and that are 4 years old and up. To me this represents that the person selling knows that the dog is in fact old enough that it shouldnt be bred anymore (my parent would not breed a bitch who was past 4 years of age as this was deemed a seroious health risk) and as far as I know most dogs dont "show" in the ring beyond 3 to 4 years of age, so my question is this...

If you saw an ad where a person was selling a 5 year old female husky with AKC papers, who is unaltered, and the person wanted $800 for the dog...would you pay this price for the dog?

I confess that I may likely consider paying the price as the dog is registered (and if I could see she was in good health) I would probably do it or try to talk the price down and take her to spare her from merciless BYBers...and besides im sure she would be beautiful and older and calm...which would be a plus. But to be honest, I would not want to pay $800 for a dog at this age, would you?

I actually prefer the second pic, as that's kind of how Haley is built - more stocky, but not as "fluffy"

It's kind of funny, I was going to ask about the different looking sibes tonight. We took Haley to the dog park today and she met another husky, second one she's met there now. The first one was more fluffy and smaller than her, the one today looked like the third husky in the set of pics but with longer fur.

A lot of people see Haley and ask if she's a husky, if she's purebred, and why she doesn't have the "husky look" (I'm assuming why doesn't she look like the husky in the third pic). She's stocky, thicker boned, and to me is built like a tank. Her fur is soft and thick, her tail is thick but not overly furry (Jay called her "q-tip tail" when we first got her, since her tail looked like the end f a q-tip). She weighed 54 pounds (24.5 kilograms) at her last vet visit.

Can anyone tell us anything about her? I doubt she's registered, she was adopted from a shelter and didn't have any papers. So we have no clue about her history, other than that someone used her as a breeder (byb most likely unregistered). She had one litter that we know of (Kahtadin's litter) but may have had more. She's estimated at a year and 7 months. She's spayed now, so no chance of breeding her, but any info would be nice, whether she's "perfect" or not.

These are some pics, her coloration from what we've seen online is Isabella white

Her front

DSCF2666.jpg

Her side (trying to get a clearer pic)

[DSCF2840.jpg

Her back side

DSCF2890.jpg

Her face (and Kahtadin's)

DSCF2886.jpg

Her tail - she doesn't always "curl" it, more straight or like this. Although she will curl it in play.

DSCF2834.jpg

I can try to get pics at the dog park next time as well, you can really see the difference between her build and other dogs (especially if another husky is there)

I'm not trying to be cliche in anyway, but to me, the dog as my Avatar from Eight Below is the perfect example of a husky. The ears aren't to wide or to long, stocky enough to do it's job but not overweight. Nose doesnt form a rectangle, feet/legs are straight, runs smoothly, tail doesnt favor one side or the other and doesnt stay curled.

To me, the 3rd pic posted on the 1st page is the least of what I consider a Husky Standard. I understand you should be able to feel it's ribs, but i shouldnt be able to see them or it's hip bones. Plus it's back is odd looking. The 1st pic is more ideal other than it's feet cowhocked and the 2nd seems a tad overwieght.

Pack Leader: i would like to share due to the information given i stand corrected. AKC is not a joke and i have registered Lana with the AKC. I still believe that AKC should use the technology out there to further improve the system.

I think you are right Lana - same with the KC here in the UK. I would like to see them refuse registration to any litter whose parents have not been health tested, and for all registered dogs to be identified by both microchips and DNA profile. That way the system would be tightened up to prevent abuse and registration would really mean something.

I think you are right Lana - same with the KC here in the UK. I would like to see them refuse registration to any litter whose parents have not been health tested, and for all registered dogs to be identified by both microchips and DNA profile. That way the system would be tightened up to prevent abuse and registration would really mean something.

Pack Leader: I am glad to read that we finally agreed on something. I believe that is what i was attempting to say the entire time , however poor choice of words. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...