Crate training ideas

I'm really happy to have found this forum! Many of the tips in here has helped Taz finally settle in in his kennel.

that's really great! Remember to always keep the door open when Taz is not locked up. Soon you'll notice him going in there voluntarily to take naps during the day. Soon Taz will LOVE his special place.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey so basically my husky was never crated trained by the breeder. I personally led him in the crate with treats. and when he went in the first night he whined for hours. after 2 hours i covered his crate with a sheet. and he settled down and went to bed. it took a week for him to relax and go to bed. I kept up with the treats in the crate and he goes for them. and reassure him its okay. and when he went in i would give him a treat again. after a week he is quite and relaxed, but still not walking right into crate without hesitant but goes to bed when in it.

it takes patience. but Elvis has been doing great.

Hey so basically my husky was never crated trained by the breeder. I personally led him in the crate with treats. and when he went in the first night he whined for hours. after 2 hours i covered his crate with a sheet. and he settled down and went to bed. it took a week for him to relax and go to bed. I kept up with the treats in the crate and he goes for them. and reassure him its okay. and when he went in i would give him a treat again. after a week he is quite and relaxed, but still not walking right into crate without hesitant but goes to bed when in it.

it takes patience. but Elvis has been doing great.

Welcome to the forum! Keep up the good work. You're making excellent progress as you've noticed. The crating situation at your house is not done improving.

Gretzky was good in his crate, but we had him from 6 weeks old, so he never really knew any different. We played music all might for with (the radio - we didn't actually sit up and play piano - he, he). We also put in old t-shirts we had worn so it had our scent on. We leave the door open now when we're out, but he tends to gravitate back there in the day time anyway.

that's really great! Remember to always keep the door open when Taz is not locked up. Soon you'll notice him going in there voluntarily to take naps during the day. Soon Taz will LOVE his special place.

We took your advice and we've been leaving his crate door open unless we know that we will be gone for a few hours. And he now voluntarily goes in there any time of the day! Thank you! =D

• 2 weeks later...

Generally I think if you can just tough out a few days (or weeks) of a screaming Husky that's all it takes. People get scared and upset to hear their dog cry and carry on like that... But this breed is so vocal and so dramatic I don't know how people can expect anything else?! Eventually they WILL stop. They WILL. You just have to be more stubborn.

With puppies i'd take them out a few times a night. If they woke me up in the middle of the night screaming and carrying on i'd take them out to pee and make no fuss about it. If within 5 minutes there's no action going on they went back in the crate. Usually there would be a screaming fit but within 5-10 minutes they'll usually hush and go back to sleep. Leaving their toys in the crate during the day (and always tossing them back in after they've been played with is a good way to get your dog accustomed to walking into the crate. Randomly dropping treats in the crate, feeding in the crate, giving super great toys/treats in the crate... are all good ways to build up a positive experience with the crate.

If you've got an older dog who's not used to the crate the positive association is a very important step as they're not used to such a thing. Consistently working with the dog and the crate and showing them that this isn't a bad or scary place will pay off in the end. But again, they WILL scream. They WILL howl. They WILL cry. It's not because they're being tortured... it's because they're Huskies and they want it their way. Once they figure it's not getting them anywhere they WILL stop! You just have to stick it out.

this sounds like fantastic advise and will start this tomorrow

I recently bought my 7 month old husky, he weighs about 69 pounds and is very docile young pup. I have two questions,the first has to do with the actual thread.. does it have to be a crate? I have been on vacation for the last couple of weeks so he has never had to be alone, I take him with me in the car wherever i go unless I am picking up groceries...even so the longest he has been left alone has been around a half hour with no real issue. I am going back to work next week and although he won't be alone for more than a few hours (shift work and I work 5 min from home) I don't want him to sleep in a crate with only enough space to turn around, I do however have an empty back room which is as large as a small childs bedroom and the only thing in it other than concrete floors is the water heater. If I put his bed and food water toys etc in that room when I go to work will that work just as well as a crate? Im going to try it out starting with 20 min than working my way up to an hour or so, Im just not sure if this has been tried and is a horrible idea. He doesn't have any accidents and he is pretty vocal when he wants to go outside to do his business so there are no issues there. I dunno just spitballing, the other quick unrelated question is the nipping not biting but when we are horsing around he likes to "miss" the rope and nip at my hand, I think I may have read somewhere that you are supposed to let out a high pitched yelp as would another dog if play was to rough. It just seems counterintuitive to the whole Alpha male mentality, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I recently bought my 7 month old husky, he weighs about 69 pounds and is very docile young pup. I have two questions,the first has to do with the actual thread.. does it have to be a crate? I have been on vacation for the last couple of weeks so he has never had to be alone, I take him with me in the car wherever i go unless I am picking up groceries...even so the longest he has been left alone has been around a half hour with no real issue. I am going back to work next week and although he won't be alone for more than a few hours (shift work and I work 5 min from home) I don't want him to sleep in a crate with only enough space to turn around, I do however have an empty back room which is as large as a small childs bedroom and the only thing in it other than concrete floors is the water heater. If I put his bed and food water toys etc in that room when I go to work will that work just as well as a crate? Im going to try it out starting with 20 min than working my way up to an hour or so, Im just not sure if this has been tried and is a horrible idea. He doesn't have any accidents and he is pretty vocal when he wants to go outside to do his business so there are no issues there. I dunno just spitballing, the other quick unrelated question is the nipping not biting but when we are horsing around he likes to "miss" the rope and nip at my hand, I think I may have read somewhere that you are supposed to let out a high pitched yelp as would another dog if play was to rough. It just seems counterintuitive to the whole Alpha male mentality, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Okay. First:welcome: to the forum!!!!!! Question 2 really should be posted as it's own thread rather than it hiding in a crate training thread. On the other hand, a great deal has already been talked about with regards to puppy nipping. You could try searching "play biting" or "puppy biting" Here's one thread I discovered. http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/husky-puppy-biting-help.26714/

As for question 1. I don't really see any problem with the keeping him in the room as long as YOU or the puppy seem okay with it. However, I'd add that dogs don't actually need or desire a great big area to sleep in but rather seek out the security of a smaller place. I think if you bought a size appropriate crate and you spent the time to train him, you'd find that he'd end up loving this place. My dogs go there all by themselves periodically during the day to sleep. BUT, as long as your are okay with him being in the back room, and the puppy is behaving back there, I see no real problem with it. By the way, how heavy is the puppy now? Without looking at him and figuring he's probably under 65 pounds (probably 50-55 is my guess) if you were thinking of getting a crate, I'd recommend a standard 42 inch long crate for him.

EDIT: Okay, duh, I just noticed you said he was 69 pounds. Wow, big boy! I'd still say the 42" long crate or perhaps the 48" long, BUT NO BIGGER! LOL The reason I shouted that is I have a feeling you'd be compelled to put him in a gigantic crate LOL. Good Luck!

Now post some pictures of your puppy!!! We'd love to see him! Don't post them in this thread. Create a new one! Everyone would love to see him!

• 2 weeks later...

Crate training was easy with the huskies! ..

Put them in, every 10-15mins toilet time! .. they where clever and in the end would let me know when they needed to go (as puppies).

Once they got older then could hold longer and wait.

Never used any tricks.. if they cried they cried and I used the 'controlled crying' method! .. No point giving in to them crying.. they'll go to sleep eventually.

Crate training was easy with the huskies! ..

Put them in, every 10-15mins toilet time! .. they where clever and in the end would let me know when they needed to go (as puppies).

Once they got older then could hold longer and wait.

Never used any tricks.. if they cried they cried and I used the 'controlled crying' method! .. No point giving in to them crying.. they'll go to sleep eventually.

That is sometimes true. My latest rescue is a nearly 3 year old male who'd been an outdoor dog his whole life up to that point. He lived in a fully fenced half acre and had never been near a crate. We thought, "this is going to be a problem". Had him fully crate trained in a week! However, my other husky rescue, a completely different story. 4 months! Ouch! He loves his crate now.

this is all good advice! im going to start crate training Kato asap!!

i had a question to the crate size - i read in the earlier posts that a crate fit to the dogs size would be best, but should i get a big crate in anticipation of him growing, or a crate that will fit him as a pup now?

Well, it has been 1.5months since we started crate training. Mika (my female) has been so-so on it, she has to be VERY worn out in order to go right in and not make a noise and Kato (my male) is perfect at it and only whines when he has to potty. Neither of them really lay in their crate during the day, however, I did see Kato laying in his this morning chewing on a toy. Mika still whines for 15-20mins after she gets put in her crate. They are fed in their crate, and I try to put them in their at least a few times a week when we just leave for an hour or 2 and Mika barks and whines and scratches the door of the crate for at least 20ish minutes. I used kongs the other night and Kato was fine, but started puking about 30 mins after he was done with the Kong, (they just had a very small amount of peanut butter in them) and Mika finished hers and started clawing and barking at her door again. Any ideas on how to make her shut up? We have stayed consistent with it, she's not scared of her crate because she goes right in there when it is time for food, and will go in it to get a toy out of it, it just seems like she is being VERY stubborn and doesn't want to be locked up. She is very headstrong where Kato isn't at all. She is high strung and Kato isn't could this be the reason?

• 2 weeks later...

First introduction to the crate, I buried treats and such in her dog blankets. I didn't shut her in the crate until she was going in without the treats. Started off in very small increments of time. I didn't let her out when she started whining (initially). Instead, I made a "shaker can" - an old soda pop can with a bunch of pennies thrown in, tape over the hole - and shook it pointedly a few times. The noise is not pleasant, but as soon as she stopped I'd throw a treat in (but no verbal recognition at all). We'd do this three times of her whining, shaker can, treat, and then I'd let her out - done for the day. We gradually work our way up 15min to 2 hours (15 min increments, more or less every day or two) until we bumped it up to 30min. I paid someone to sit her so she wasn't alone her first month. (this was also because she was abused in her first home)

Also, my crate was in my bedroom (as I was still in college at the time & had roommates). She did sleep in the crate at night but I made sure that she could see me and gave her a treat or two when I first locked her in there. ...Got up every few hours (3hrs, then 4hrs, then 5hrs) to take her out for a piddle.

I discovered that Sitka does not like anything in the bottom of her crate - she prefers the plastic. From what I've seen though, she is an exception but it might be something to consider.

Final note: The first few months I was crate training Sitka, I ran her until she was completely exhausted just before putting her in the crate. Gradually, this has come to adapt to my work schedule more than hers. (Well there is give & take on both our sides)

She is still crate trained now, but I have honestly been able to phase out the crate and she prefers to sleep under my bed and stand at the window and stare at the rabbits while I am gone. I am very lucky though. (I am also knocking on wood right now)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the crate training. I never intended on crate training Sophie, because I've never had an issue leaving my dogs home alone in the past. They would just sleep on the couch and wait for me, but they weren't Huskies.. I bought Sophie a crate when I saw they were on sale, it was more of a toy box than anything else and I hadn't even taken it out of the box and set it up.. Until she hit 6 months and turned into a terrifying monster. She chewed everything and anything when I was gone, her house training went right out the window, she chewed holes in the door, ripped up the carpet, tore down the curtains, shredded sheets, it was a complete mad house and I could not take it. I broke down and decided that crate training was the best idea for her safety and the safety of my house. I was expecting it to be a struggle and I was dreading the training, I can't stand hearing her cry.. The first night I set it up, she went in... and REFUSED to come out! She would lock her legs and push against the side of the wall so I couldn't pull her out! If she was sleeping in there, she would growl like crazy at me if I tried to move her. The only time she would come out is if I opened the front door and called for her.. I don't know why she took to it so well, but I am so lucky. She doesn't hang out in there as much anymore, but she has no problem going in when we are ready to leave.

All the advice above is good. I guess the thing above all else is persistance. No going down to the crate at night feeling sorry because they are making noise etc ... The sooner you get out of that the sooner they will get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read through this whole thread and find all this information very comforting that i will be able to successfully crate train my future puppy.

My puppy was born friday and i will be picking her up Thanksgiving weekend!

I was wondering if, for crate training, the crate always has to be in the same place? i am planning on putting my puppy by my bed (in the crate) at night and moving the crate downstairs during the day. do you think this will still serve as a "familiar" place?

Thanks everyone

I have read through this whole thread and find all this information very comforting that i will be able to successfully crate train my future puppy.

My puppy was born friday and i will be picking her up Thanksgiving weekend!

I was wondering if, for crate training, the crate always has to be in the same place? i am planning on putting my puppy by my bed (in the crate) at night and moving the crate downstairs during the day. do you think this will still serve as a "familiar" place?

Thanks everyone

Congrats on your new puppy! I've never tried this though I can't see why it wouldn't work. Give it a shot and report back.

this is all good advice! im going to start crate training Kato asap!!

i had a question to the crate size - i read in the earlier posts that a crate fit to the dogs size would be best, but should i get a big crate in anticipation of him growing, or a crate that will fit him as a pup now?

I made the mistake of getting one to fit Nico as a pup. I say "mistake" because he grew so fast it was as if I woke up 1 morning and it was too small for him lol. I then sourced an XXL crate off ebay at a very fair price and now he has loads of room and I think always will. Looking back I wish I had just bought the one, as the 1st one is in the attic gathering dust. Oh well, maybe if I can convince the other half to let me have another dog it might come in use:whistling:

I really need advice on this. I am thinking of getting a crate for my husky but i am a bit worried about doing it because it will be for a few hours a day but i feel i have no other choice as he has recently started destroying my carpet and there is no stopping him. Most days when i come it everything will be fine but other days it is trashed. I really need a solution, is crating him a good idea to train him.

I am new to the breed as this is my first one, i got him at 10 months old and he is now 1 and still destroying things. I have tried lots of different methods but none of it has worked this seems to be my only hope.

Your help would be much appreciated.

I really need advice on this. I am thinking of getting a crate for my husky but i am a bit worried about doing it because it will be for a few hours a day but i feel i have no other choice as he has recently started destroying my carpet and there is no stopping him. Most days when i come it everything will be fine but other days it is trashed. I really need a solution, is crating him a good idea to train him.

I am new to the breed as this is my first one, i got him at 10 months old and he is now 1 and still destroying things. I have tried lots of different methods but none of it has worked this seems to be my only hope.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Yes. Crate training is a very good idea...unless you fancy watching your home be systematically "husky-fied"!

We got Luna at about ten months & started training after the first few weeks because she has SA & we were worried she'd hurt herself if left to her own devices.

Best way to start is to serve all meals & high value treats in the crate, so it becomes associated with positive things. Also, always make sure there's a water source in the crate and if your crating for 3 minutes or 3 hours always leave them with something to do, ie. A Kong.

Good luck xxx

We just got Neptune yesterday and slept through out the night without a problem in the crate. We did use a old pillow and a blanket of ours. I think that helped out A LOT!! I do also notice, with my previous pups, when you put a blanket over the crate and put a fan point away from the crate, it helps a little bit. But I have to agree that crate training takes time and patience.

Hiya!

We have a nine week old pup who we bought less than a week ago and so far we have not had a night where he has succesfully slept in his crate!

We live in an Apartment block and so we really can't leave him crying all night :(. We are just wondering if anyone has had experince with Crating in an Apartment??

What is happening atm is when he is tired enough he will sleep in there for a few hours and then wakes up and cries. He then will come into our bedroom and sleep soundly under our bed.We crate him when we are not there, however find that when we crate him when we are there and trying to sleep he seems to be crying more...

We have a Kong, rope, squeaky chicken, some old clothing and all things he finds fun in there yet, he STILL cries!!

When he is fed in there he often soils his bed too!

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

ps. I have not had experience with Crating dogs...