xback harnesses

how do the dogs NOT get out of them? (like if they dont have a belly strap) obv im borrowing a scooter soon and also borrowing an xback n ganglines but how can i make sure if blaze spots somthing and i stop he isnt gonna just get out of the harness n bugger off?

i mean like obviously theres a reason they dont escape otherwise something else would be made for them to pull in - but how!?

Yeah like Nay said they fit over the head and around both front legs and they should be quite a snug fit too, then the rest of the harness goes right down the back... I think they MIGHT be able to get out if they really tried but most when they realise they are free to pull you would just launch you over to the thing they want rather than get out of the harness first! Thats what you really have to work on.. the "on by" command to get them past the thing they want to see!! :eek: Otherwise its ditch head first time!! LMAO! Oh yeah did I say :pictures:

yes they can get out, but only if they decide to spin around and pull backwards. I've been running for coming up on 2 years and have never had an escape. Just keep the lines tight and the dog focused on going forward

I've never had a problem with Kira trying to escape out of his x-back. He even knows how to get out of it because I've taught him to back out of it when we get home, makes taking it off sooooo much easier. He lights right up when I drag it out, there's no way he would ever want the thing off, if he had things his way, ha. I just bought a xplora pawtrek scooter, waiting for it to come in the mail, excited!!

Like someone else mentioned, they are suppose to be snug around the head so it would take a lot of struggling for them to be able to back out. Nothing that you wouldn't be able to stop before they were able to fight their way out of.

• 2 weeks later...

most dogs dont even try, they want to go forward. we had one who used to try and back out when she was a pup as we werent setting off quick enough for her liking. so we got a H back with a belly strap, after 2 failed attempts to back out... she never did it again and wen tback to a X back. a neck line looped through the collar of the harness and her own collar should mean if she does back out... she wont get free and away from you.

good luck and remember you need a permit to train on a scooter as well as any other type of rig/sled/quad . ask your local forestry commision for how you go about getting one and the local training areas. i think wyre forest in the worcestershire area has permits available. many country parks and bridle ways are usuitable and would require 3rd party insurence and land owners permissions to run on. local councils always say NO as a matter of course. foresty commision areas often have local mushers training on designated areas and can help with advice and getting you started. do not run on paths or roads! running without a permit can cause the loss of other peoples permits and training areas as well as the loss of races established in that area. do not bandit run.

hi

usually dogs run in twos so even if they escape from a harness then they are still neckline to another dog, but as you are running a single dog things are a bit more difficult, i have to say most dogs dont back out of the harness but when it happens your dog is off, to prevent this you can either attach a belly strap to the harness, once the harness is on it just clips from one side of the harness to the other under the dogs belly, if the harness isnt yours and you cant alter it the just add a clip together collar under the dogs belly once the harness is on, it needs to form a loop from one side of the harness to the other, also make sure its not so tight that it restricts your dogs gate nor too loose that it interferes with its gate.

nush

he quite enjoys doing backflips when he sees other dogs - which is why im worried

Just like Jack....we are working very hard on the "on-by" command, and if you have him gang lined with Skyla, and she keeps going, he will have to want to not listen and pull really hard...I'm not sure what will happen with my boys...but we may build a sled for them for the winter....the saga continues....:duh:

Just like Jack....we are working very hard on the "on-by" command, and if you have him gang lined with Skyla, and she keeps going, he will have to want to not listen and pull really hard...I'm not sure what will happen with my boys...but we may build a sled for them for the winter....the saga continues....:duh:

she doesnt pull - n she stops n stares at other dogs too lol

Blaze will probably need someone to guide him for a short while anyway which is what the guy from Dax did for us on Saturday. Once she got running, she didn't care about anything else because she realised that we just wanted her to go forwards. So if you have someone guiding blaze with the lead at first then every time he see's a dog, you can just say "On By" and direct him further forward with the lead till he understands what you want.

They probably can escape from Xbacks, but they'd have to do it in a particular way but like others said, he's more likely to try and drag you over - but then he might be that knackered by then that he cant be bothered. Just try and do it with very minimal distractions at first.

Stacey xxx

hi stacey

theres no probably about it, they can escape from a x-back harness, its easy if they want to, all the dog has to do is pull backwards against his lines, its so easy to add a belly strap that i dont understand why someone would take the risk, especially with an inexperienced dog, you may only lose your dog once but the hurt lasts a long time.

nush

Yup they are super easy for a dog to back out of. I know some who are pros at it even with a belly band on. my advice since you'll be running him solo and not with a belly band is to attach a neckline from his collar to the harness in any way that doesn't impede his motion while running. That way if he does slip he's still attached. if I were you i would work through that flipping when he sees another dog BEFORE hooking him up. Its for the safety of the both of you!