Love our husky, but...

Hi All,

Our boy Stoli is 18 months old now. We adore him. He is walked at least two hours a day. During the week if I have any thing to do that require leaving him for more than an hour, I bring him to doggy daycare so that he doesn't get lonely. Now that summer is here, I am wondering what people do when they want to enjoy a Saturday at the beach or local pool. I feel guilty leaving Stoli in his crate for longer than 3 hours, but I miss the days of lazing by the pool with a nice book and just relaxing with my kids and husband. I guess my point is that I wonder how is it possible to have a life on the weekends while owning a husky. Other dogs seem able to roam the house without worry while I fear Stoli would destroy furniture, curtains, etc. Some dogs can be left in a fenced in yard, but not huskies as they escape. Doggy daycare is closed on the weekends so that options is out. As much as I adore our dog sometimes the responsibility of it gets depressing...like having a toddler that will never grow up. I'd love to know what other people do to keep their dogs happy, but also have a social life outside of their house. Something simple like wanting to take my kids to an amusement park for a day seems impossible. Any advice is appreciated and please understand that Stoli is a part of our family, he sleeps in our room, is taken care of with great love and attention and he is a happy dog.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we take our 3 to the coast when we go. They come out with us if we can take them too. If we have folk that live nearby & want to leave their sibe behind & have a day out i offer to look after the dog for the day if i am off work that day. ours are left out when we are out , the garden is fully fenced & never had a dog escape from our garden . Its a very secure garden.

first of all ..stop feeling guilty about leaving him.. probably 99% of us on here leave our dogs at some point.. my girls are left in there outside kennel from about 0845 till 1230 then from about 1330 till 1730 every mon to fri .. at first i felt guilty especially in bad weather.. but got used to it ..

i would never leave mine in the house when not there.. and i know a lot do but im not a lover of crating dogs ..

all i can suggest to you is when you have a day you want to go lay by the pool ... make sure you give him a long walk first ..or run with him .. just whatever you can to tire him.. and maybe give him something like a pig trotter when you go.. it will take him a while to munch thru it then he will be ready for a long sleep..

i know when i run my girls in the mornings . we get back home .. they have breakfast then will pretty much for the best part of the day just laze about.. waking up for dinner before sleeping again..

you miss your days of laying on the beach !!! miss the days of lazing by the pool with a nice book and just relaxing ! ......

yeh so do will all but we chose to give these things up when we got a Husky ..or at least find away around it

qoute --I guess my point is that I wonder how is it possible to have a life on the weekends while owning a husky

yes it is but like having kids they are a life long commitment not one you can just have as and when suits..

qoute -- As much as I adore our dog sometimes the responsibility of it gets depressing...like having a toddler that will never grow up.

WTF !!! how can you say the responsibility gets depressing.. ???

I think the last answer was a bit Harsh to say the least!!

Advice of what other people do was all that was asked for not critism. We all have moments where we need to be able to leave the dog or dogs for a considerable time and the best thing is to see if anyone of your friends or family can help out. If not have you tried the papers or vets for dog walking or sitting services as these can be a god send in this sort of situation. This way you wont be fretting about the dog all day knowing they are being taken care of. Giving your child some ME time is just as important so I know where you are coming from.

All the best with you finding a solution.

We have a kennel off the laundry room that Zoya stays in if we have to leave. Eisa is fine in the kitchen.

Have you given thoughts to crate training?

I am not sure, but I think my buddy Shad likes it when I go away for a couple of hours at a time and leave him alone in the nice, quiet home to rest up and sleep without interruption! Granted, he's an older dog (he's 14), but my point is that most of us do enjoy a little peace and quiet down time. You might want to get him used to being left alone for very short periods of time to begin with, if he's stressed about you leaving, and work up to longer periods of time, but there's no reason you can't take time off for yourself and your family, as long as he gets HIS time, too!

If you dont like the idea of crating for too long then I would look into a good secure dog run if you have the garden space? Then as for fun weekends out... have you done all of the things you can do WITH the dog? Look for beaches you can take the dog with you, picnics and hikes, camping, boating etc? Also look for people with other huskies! They can be lots of fun to meet up with and let the dogs play! Then you can also have potential doggy sitters to boot! :)

My 2 have the run of the house when i'm out. If i'm going to be out too long then I arrange for friends or family or neighbours to pop round for me. Sometimes they go to play at a friends house who has husky's of her own.

I have personally never conceived not being able to leave home just because the dog will be lonely. Granted, there are 4 people in the household so usually somebody will be home. But if he has to be alone on his own for a few hours because people are at work or we want to go out, well, that's too bad.

I know what you mean about having a few hours of peace, but I think it is important not to stress out so much about Stoli being lonely. Dogs are not toddlers and they can handle a few hours of being on their own. Don't be so worried about what he will feel like if you leave him alone for a few hours, after all, you can't build all your life around your dog.

Have you actually tried leaving him alone in the house to see what happens? You can always start with leaving him alone for small periods of time, then gradually increasing the time over a few weeks to get him used to this. The same goes for crating, imo 3 hours in the crate is not cruel.

We have worked Boone into our weekends, we go to places he's allowed, like picniks in the Forest of Dean, swimming at the dog friendly Croft Farm, campsite. Walks along the River Severn calling at a couple of pubs for lunch or just a quick pint (or two, or Three, aww go on just one more love),

A Husky is not a burden if you think about and look around for what's available (not that I think Boones a burden!!!!)

Andy & Boone

We also tend to choose places that we can take Teeko with us....not because we feel guilty but because we like his company to be honest.

Don't worry about leaving him...but personally I'd recommend crate training and I wouldn't leave my dog n his crate for more than about five hours as the poor dot would need to widdle!

During the day and especially in warm weather, Teeko will put himself in his crate, especially if we have the fan on it for him, whether we are home or not. In fact, we are both here, have been with Teeks all day and he is currently asleep in his crate....door open. I am a convert when it comes to crate training after seeing how much our dog loves his and we even sold the outdoor pen as he has no interest in being outdoors when it's warm.

Look into options like crating, outdoor run (but make sure it's secure....not only are they escape artists but huskies are prime for dog theives!)....most of all....start hunting for activities where he can join you! The beach....the park...take a big brolly for shade for your dog and you can still chill with a book!

Good luck!

I can see that you truly do care for your dog, but understand while you love and care for him as if he were a child.. he isn't. And as such... will be just fine without your companionship every moment of every day. I love my dogs and enjoy taking with them wherever I can... but I also know that they are capable of being at home alone by themselves.

By taking him everywhere and not allowing him to be by himself, you're actually making it harder for him to be alone by himself. Since you don't allow that to happen.

There is nothing wrong with them being in the crate longer than 3 hours. Give him a nice good long walk or even a dog park run in the morning and take the afternoon for yourself/your family. The dog doesn't need to be stimulated constantly throughout the day. If anything my dogs enjoy just sleeping through most of the day.

My furkids are crated some days about 9 hrs and others far and few between can be up to 12 or more. I feel bad about it, but then as soon as possible I make sure that they get a day outside as long as possible to make up for it. Makes me feel bad, but what can you do. I wish I could do some things, but I made the choice for furkids and deal with what I can do and not.

plenty of ideas. keep him crated, exercise him, don't feel too bad if its just a couple of hours, and get him toys that will keep him entertained. kongs, bones, and rawhides will keep him busy and wont mind being alone for some time.

also, he is only 18 months, give him a couple more years and he will chill out with age

Marley is left in his run all day as we work. We have never left him in the house but our landlord won't let us anyway, that was one condition of her allowing us to have him so we sorted out his kennel and run immediately before getting him. He prefers to be lazing indoors with us or in the garden but we have to work so it is tough really. Marley just sleeps most of the day anyway! We would love to get another for company but we are not allowed. Marley seems happy enough, he has a long morning and evening walk and we fuss and play with him as much as we can. I know it's hard when you love them so much but don't feel guilty, at the end of the day they cannot go everywhere with you and it is nice to have some time out. We have taken Marley to the coast and he loves the sea! We tried crate training but it was a feeble attempt really, I couldn't take the wailing and crying. I felt so terrible! I know many huskies are crate trained and it works for many people but I personally prefer leaving him in the run. Your boy will settle eventually, Marley is 26th months and he has settled a lot since 18mths. It's all about routine!

Option one--> Look for a friend that can keep an eye on Stoli =)

Option two--> Crate-train him for good reasons

Option three--> Tire him out, take him on an all-out run or extra-long walk before you leave him so that he will spend the rest of the day sleeping. I don't know about you, but Diamond--my husky--will never do anything wrong once he's out of energy. As everyone says; a tired husky is a very good dog :D

first of all ..stop feeling guilty about leaving him.. probably 99% of us on here leave our dogs at some point.. my girls are left in there outside kennel from about 0845 till 1230 then from about 1330 till 1730 every mon to fri .. at first i felt guilty especially in bad weather.. but got used to it ..

i would never leave mine in the house when not there.. and i know a lot do but im not a lover of crating dogs ..

all i can suggest to you is when you have a day you want to go lay by the pool ... make sure you give him a long walk first ..or run with him .. just whatever you can to tire him.. and maybe give him something like a pig trotter when you go.. it will take him a while to munch thru it then he will be ready for a long sleep..

i know when i run my girls in the mornings . we get back home .. they have breakfast then will pretty much for the best part of the day just laze about.. waking up for dinner before sleeping again..

you miss your days of laying on the beach !!! miss the days of lazing by the pool with a nice book and just relaxing ! ......

yeh so do will all but we chose to give these things up when we got a Husky ..or at least find away around it

qoute --I guess my point is that I wonder how is it possible to have a life on the weekends while owning a husky

yes it is but like having kids they are a life long commitment not one you can just have as and when suits..

qoute -- As much as I adore our dog sometimes the responsibility of it gets depressing...like having a toddler that will never grow up.

WTF !!! how can you say the responsibility gets depressing.. ???

Boy, Mistyrayn...

I wasn't expecting such a snarky response when all I am trying to do is figure out what is best for my dog. Especially from someone who leaves his dogs outside for 8 hours a day...I appreciated the first part of your response, but the last bit was a bit condescending. I certainly know that owning a husky was a life changer and I have been living my life accordingly since the day he arrived at our home. My entire life has changed as a result of Stoli. I was simply looking for some support from other husky owners since you all understand the enormity of owning one of these dogs. Huskies are known for wanting to be with their "pack" so I find it very hard to leave him alone. And if you leave your dogs outside all day then surely you have NOT given up your freedom during the day like you suggest "we chose to give up these things..." And I know damn well Stoli is a life long commitment, I am not an idiot nor am I a negligent owner. When I said it can be depressing, I may have been overly dramatic in that word choice. If I had the flexibility to leave Stoli outside all day, as you do, perhaps the responsibility wouldn't seem as overwhelming.

If you're worried about them being in the crate but they are happy in one, then why dont you get a bigger one where they have more room to move about?

When it's hot and Im not around, my girl is crated, but we have a water bottle attached, and I stick in a stick of ice before I leave so she has nice cold water.

Sometimes it isnt nice to leave them in a crate, but you're not just doing it for your house, you're doing it for their safety as well. It shouldn't stop you from going out on weekends. Just be considerate of how long you are out for, and make it up to them with some good exercise afterwards. (Crating also works as a fantastic excuse if you don't want to be somewhere for too long lol "...yeah so anyways, I've got to get back for Aleu because she's in her crate and needs to stretch her legs..." XD)

Stacey xxx

Kobi is left in the garden we fenced it off so its pretty much husky proof!! Hes fine in the house stays in the kitchen on his bed when were not in or if its dry he stays out in the garden i leave him with a big chew or bone if we are going to be gone for a couple of hours but to be honest he has generally always been pretty good. We just got a camper van so now we take him away with us he loves it!!

I have a crate for Blue but rarely use it because it's not something I am comfortable with. Instead I do an intense dog proof of the house everytime I mean the house. I live alone, work monday to friday 8-5, so he's alone, but it's what has to happen. You will have to risk it at some point. It's the only way you will figure out what is most comfortable for you and Stoli. If it means putting in a run or a better fence, go with that. If its a large crate, do with that. If you're like mean, it will mean blocking the stairs hiding all your shoes and clothes, blocking access to all bookcases and making sure he can reach nothing plastic since he will eat it. I also have to hid the kitchen garbage and make sure the bathroom door is jammed shut since he can slam it open otherwise.

You'll figure it out, it just takes time.

I am at work about 9 hours a day but I have the luxury of leaving my pup out of any crate without worrying about my furniture etc. If I can get away with it (like today for instance) I will pay/ask someone to stop in and hang out with him for a little bit during the day...mostly my little sister. She is on her way to my house as I type this to spend a few hours there so he isn't completely bored out of his mind.

As for your weekends, it is tough. I am a 25 year old single male and I cannot tell you the amount of times I have told friends that I can't go out with them because I don't like to leave my dog alone for an extended period of time unless I absolutely have to. But who knows, maybe I am a sucker for being this way! I knew what I was getting myself into (as did you) when buying this breed, they are very needy. It's definitely tough, but itsn't it so worth it? I literally sit here all day waiting for 5PM to roll around so I can walk into my house and hear his roo's for the next 10 minutes because they are just SO excited to see you.

So my advice is like everyone elses. If you want to take your children to the beach/amusement park for the day, then just have someone stop in. That is the easiest/best way to not feel guilty about having to leave them alone! If you have no immediate family member/friend to call for this then look into some local dog walkers. Although I don't fully trust this idea, we have some reputable walkers around my neighborhood that you can pay 10 dollars and will take your dog for a walk around the block a few times.