Zinc Responsive Dermatitis??

Hi there! I would LOVE a second opinion... Our 14 month old Sib, Shadow, has had scabs on his head and muzzle for about a month and a half now, in the last week and a half, more have appeared on his legs, ears, scrotum and eye. We have been giving him zinc supplements (125 mg/day, recommended dosage from our vet) for 2 weeks and still haven't seen any improvements. We haven't gone to get a skin biopsy as of yet since it's quite expensive around here and we have to travel 3 hours to get it done... So we are feeding him zinc supplements intended for human consumption in hopes that we will see results. Now my question is, has any one ever had to deal with ZRD and if so, does it look like my boy has it as well? Also, how long should it take to start seeing the zinc take effect?? Thank you!!!

post-5096-13585966598677_thumb.jpg

post-5096-13585966600197_thumb.jpg

post-5096-13585966601781_thumb.jpg

post-5096-13585966603534_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you haven't done any testing at all? I would at least try to get him tested for mange, expensive as though may be, it's best to be sure. To be honest, I can't tell just by looking at the pictures and I am no vet either.

How is the supplement you are giving him called? How much does your dog weigh?

In any case, you could wait up to a month until the zinc will take effect.

We had him into the vet twice and neither of the vets on staff had any idea what was wrong with Shadow, the first time we were given a cortisone cream, second time antibiotics. Finally I was upset and annoyed that neither was working so started surfing the net and found information on ZRD and brought it to the vet with me on the third visit. The vet also did a skin scrape to rule out parasitic possibilities on the third visit. She agreed with me that it could very well be ZRD but she had no prior experience with the condition and sent us home to use a pharmacy brand (Life brand) zinc gluconate supplement. They do not do skin biopsies here in town, so we would have to drive 3 hours to get a biopsy done, which will be quite expensive all in all. We have also switched his dog food last week to help increase his daily zinc intake and ensure the highest grade of food is being given to him. I have ordered some nutrazinc online and am eagerly awaiting for it to arrive in hopes that it will work better than supplements made for human consumption... Shadow weighs approx. 52 lbs. The more I read up on these forums and on ZRD, I am wondering if I should start giving him organic kelp along with the supplements or vitamin A??

It seems to me that at the moment, the dosage is too small for his weight.

It is recommended to give 1mg/kg of elemental zinc to dogs with ZRD (I may be wrong, but that's what I remember). Zinc gluconate has only 14% elemental zinc in it, hence for a 23kg dog you should have a dose of at least 170mg, I would probably just give him a tablet and a half everyday.

(disclaimer: I have no medical training whatsoever)

Also, you should watch his calcium intake. Too much calcium can affect the zinc absorption.

Kremlin did have an episode of what we think was mild ZRD. We gave him Zinc supplements for human consumption (although I can't remember the dosage, unfortunately) and it cleared up completely after 2-3 months, then we stopped the supplements and we never had issues since. I think we saw some improvement after the first month.

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it, I'm so worried about Shadow since it only seems to be getting worse for him... I really feel bad for my poor boy and want this to clear up and go away! I will definitely try either the kelp or the liver, but I'm just worried of zinc toxicity if we start feeding him too much zinc... But I will def. keep you all updated with his (hopeful) recovery...

My female sibe had zinc deficiency @ a very young age this is the worst she got, had it on her feet too she was on 2 zincaderm tabs , cant get them now though, took hers a few weeks to show improvement posssibly a month. our vets hadnt a clue to what this was either . Did skin scrapes but the results werent conclusive. This is what we used

http://www.quikuk.com/index.php?case=product&proddb=4&pid=667

Zinkless02.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So here's a good question for all of you :P... Shadow had been getting better, probably 95% and so I decided to start reduce his zinc consumption, but slightly over time, trying not to suddenly change his nutrazinc dose. Now, approx. 2-3 weeks later, I am finding his ZRD is showing around his muzzle area once again. What should I do? Should I have kept him on the higher dosage longer? Should I have cut him down to a lower daily zinc amount straight away without weening him? I know if his daily zinc amount is too high it will be the same effects as too low... Any ideas? I'm thinking either bring him right back up to the 1/8 tsp of nutrazinc per day or down to the normal maintenance dose of 1/13 tsp per day... HELP?? LOL Ideas??

• 2 months later...

How much liver is a healthy amount?

My poor boy just got diagnosed with ZRD and the zinc gluconate is making him vomit so I want to try a more natural approach.

I picked up a lamb liver from the market. How much a day would be safe to give and provide him with enough zinc to help his dermatosis?

Thanks!!

That poor pup! It is not much fun having your pup go through that... When Shadow was at his very worse, we started him on Nutrazinc (highest dose possible; 1/8 tsp) (you can find it on " howling dog alaska" site) and a inch sized square of liver daily... worked wonders!! All I do is cut up the liver and freeze it in ice cube trays, every morning I thaw out a block of liver for his breakfast and mix it with the nutrazinc. Shadow LOVES getting his daily zinc that way, he always had a sensitive stomach and this doesn't seem to bother him in the least. :) Good luck!!! Hope your pup gets better soon!

Thanks!

I actually just ordered the Nutrazinc today. Even though I have read that it is still zinc gluconate, in such a small quantity of powder I feel that his stomach should do fine. Plus, everyone seems to swear by it.

Thanks for the input! Glad Shadow did well on it, I'll update with how Jukka is doing on this same regiment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...