Other pets

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have our sibe, Myshka, but we also have 3 corn snakes (2 males, both approx 6 yrs old & 5 1/2 ft long and a little female, approx 18mths old & 18 " long) AND 3 bearded dragons, 1 male & 2 females, all approx 2 1/2 yrs old .... pics to follow!

I have had 1 of the male corns since he was 2 mths old & got the other at 18mths, they live together no problem in a "home-made viv, the female is too small to go in with them, she'll get eaten! So she lives in a "tupperware" box at the bottom of the males viv. The males eat defrosted rats & mice & the female eats defrosted "pinkies" or"fluffies", baby mice with little or no fur, so we have to watch what we're pulling out the freezer for tea!! :eek:

The dragons live in a converted tallboy, Steve is a window fitter, so he took the wardrobe doors off, made living areas & a shelf & cut glass to use as doors for the vivs - matches the snakes viv perfectly! We keep the 2 females together in the bottom viv & the male in the top - we're not looking to breed them, just enjoy owning them! They eat mainly vegetation (salad foods but NOT iceburg lettuce) but enjoy crickets, locusts, mealworms & silkworms as treats twice a week (lovely!!). They have to be kept fairly warm & have UV lights for their bones to grow properly.

There is obviously a lot more to my pets than this but this is a basic introduction to my menagerie!!

Snakes viv:

Snakes13-2-2008004.jpg

2 males curled uptogether:

snakes26thfeb2008006.jpg

one of the males:

Snakes22-2-2008001.jpg

female corn:

babycorn290808001.jpg

babycorn21stAug088months009.jpg

Val, my son would love you! He's always wanted snakes. Told him he could when I die (or if he never wants me to come over again)

Instead, he has five fish tanks, ranging from 10 gallons to 175 gallons. Lots of work, but he loves it. He's raised his oscars from 1 inch to dinner plate size. They're really quite interesting.

aww i wish i had some more pets i used to keep rabbits, guinea pigs and i had a kitten but i really don't have much time to dedicate to them with Suka, and i haven't had the best luck with either of the above :( My poor kitty Tino died in december last year aged only 6mths, i don't think i could ever own another cat after that, i am still pretty hurt from it all!

You all have lovely pets, loving simone the blue eyed baby, what a cute cat!

I have had 1 of the male corns since he was 2 mths old & got the other at 18mths, they live together no problem in a "home-made viv, the female is too small to go in with them, she'll get eaten! So she lives in a "tupperware" box at the bottom of the males viv. The males eat defrosted rats & mice & the female eats defrosted "pinkies" or"fluffies", baby mice with little or no fur, so we have to watch what we're pulling out the freezer for tea!! :eek:

I am so jealous!!!!! I want a snake, Royal Python, but Jamie hates snakes :cry:

Jamie isnt too bad with lizards though, so I said I want a Rhino Iguana but think maybe dreaming there so realistcally I would like either a Leopard Gecko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_gecko) or Tokay Gecko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokay_Gecko) or a Plummed Basilisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumed_basilisk). I did start to set up a viv so I could get a small group of Leaopard Geckos and still have all that I bought somewhere but since had my 3 boys the idea of getting a reptile has kinda dissappeared for know until we have a house of our own where I know we will definately be staying for few years and won't have to worry about moving them then.

I love reptiles, was going to study Herpetology but there aint no where in UK where I would be study the specific subject :cry:

Any questions,please feel free to ask!! :D

Are you looking for a new home for them? I'll take them off your hands :D

wow it looks like a zoo!

Do you charge people to come in for a brew? lol

Fab pics would love a snake but couldn't cope with the live feeding - i'm a soft arse lol

You dont feed a snake live :) But you would need another freezer for the frozen food (pinkies, fuzzies, small mice, large mice, rats!, etc etc)

Can't see how you can justify forcing an animal such as a snake or Gekko, lizzard etc to exist in a tank.

To me its inhumane and cruel.

Sorry!

Its ok, we are all welcome to everyone's opinions :)

You could say this about all animals. Are we inhumane keeping dogs and cats and putting them in a crate, keeping them in a garden/house when they could be running free on the open plains. Are we inhumane keeping fish in a tank when they could be swimming freely in the lakes, rivers, streams, ponds and the big blue ocean? Are we inhumane keeping birds shut in a cage or aviary? Are we inhumane to all animals by keeping them in captivity?

Generally yes..

Its ok, we are all welcome to everyone's opinions :)

You could say this about all animals. Are we inhumane keeping dogs and cats and putting them in a crate, keeping them in a garden/house when they could be running free on the open plains. Are we inhumane keeping fish in a tank when they could be swimming freely in the lakes, rivers, streams, ponds and the big blue ocean? Are we inhumane keeping birds shut in a cage or aviary? Are we inhumane to all animals by keeping them in captivity?

Though cats and dogs are pretty much domesticated but the rest of the ones you mentioned would generally never return to their captive home would they?

Took my 4 year old to Blackpool zoo a few weeks ago and looking at the male lion moping in it's enclosure brought tears to my eyes.

Though cats and dogs are pretty much domesticated but the rest of the ones you mentioned would generally never return to their captive home would they?

What I mean is all animals kept today were all, at some point, taken from the wild and that wild part of them, even in cats and dogs, still lives within then so were we being inhuamne taking them away from their natural environment so we could keep them as a pet? With all animals the same point exists, not just with one particular animal, like reptiles. Like all other animals these days, when a reptile is bought from a reputable breeder or pet shop, etc, they are captive bred and by now these captive bred species probably wouldnt survive in the wild as they have adapted to life in a viv/tank, if they were released back in to the wild they probably wouldnt survive 5 minutes out there as they would not have an idea how to hunt for food (as in captivity they are fed already dead mice, rats, etc) and being captive they would most likely become dinner for a owl/hawk, etc or would be attacked by another reptile. I can see your point, it isnt nice seeing a reptile in a tank when it should be free but its the same as other animals. Dogs and Cats were all wild animals at some point and man took that away from them and domesticated them so they could have help with hunting for food, guarding their tribe and families, pulling heavy loads accross long distances, etc etc and over time man and dog become more together. We call ourselves an intelligent mammal, but are we if we had to rely on other animals to help us with different tasks when every other animal doesnt have to rely on a different species to survive (apart from being a food source). Although reptiles, amphibians, insects, arachnids, etc havent been in captivity as long as dogs, cats and birds, which is probably where many people find it unfair to keep them in a tank, with captive bred species we are doing them a favour in a way as we are giving them the chance to live and when kept with someone who knows what they are keeping and how to correctly handle, care for, etc a reptile can live a long and happy life. I see the point of it being unfair with wild caught reptiles being put in a tank but when they are captive bred it is, imo, fairer to them as they wouldnt survive in the wild.

Took my 4 year old to Blackpool zoo a few weeks ago and looking at the male lion moping in it's enclosure brought tears to my eyes.

I agree, I aint a zoo person either. I remember covering this subject in college and it's like I said above, would that lion be able to survive in the wild now? The thing I hate about zoos is the animals, mostly in the begining of zoos, are caught out in the wild and stuck in a pen for the rest of its life! However, now in good zoos (not that there are many), such as Long Leat, the animals there are giving a large area to live and they are now starting to breed them, especially endgagered species which are not showing chance of survival in the wild so we are starting to try and conserve these magnificent species and in many places, like the uk, the only way to help the animal is to have them in captivity.

sorry, bit long, just trying to put both sides accross

• 2 months later...

ok here we go hold onto your hat.

we have 5 cats and 2 corn snakes

this is sam he is very friendly and loves a groom, and to play. he also loves to catch and eat moths

sam.jpg

this is fuzzy sam is his dad, he is friendly to the point of being annoying, he climbs up inches from your face for strokes. he also needs his mane cutting often otherwise he gets it stuck in his mouth

fuzzy.jpg

this is choodie, my daughters cat, they are inseperable, she is a very shy cat. charlotte is her mother

choodie.jpg

this is charlotte, indoors she is a miserable thing, but outside she wont leave you alone, she roams the neighbourhood, and all the locals love her, and she visits them all daily, a.m. she is on our side of the road. p.m. she is on the otherside of the road

charlotte.jpg

this is borris, she was a rescue kitten, we found her under our challet on the isle of wight. the cat society said we could keep her. she is the guardian of our property. she sees off any other cats who dare tresspass.

borris is my wifes cat, and she is extreemely well loved. my wife would move heaven and earth for borris.

borris.jpg

my sons 2 corn snakes

bitey_2.jpg

bitey.jpg

in the past we have had rats, hampsters and lots of fish

Apart from our Rat Pickles and Grey we dont have another, but we had a Ferret who we adored! she was brilliant, but we had to get rid of her due to Mary being Pregnant (selfish cow):P as they are not good to keep around new born babies, and we were advised to get rid.... altho on reading up on it more in the past there was no real need to do it which really pissed me off!!!

image1fdz.jpg

I really miss Hammer our ferret she was great pet and would defo suggest to anyone to get one but the only prob is that ferrets are very smelly......:o

Looking back we could have prob kept her cause I have spoke to other women that have had ferrets while preg and had baby and had no probs but at the time I was preg I was told by my midewife that its not good and to get rid of Hammer.

It is a shame but I know she is happy in her new home :)