Should a dog collar sit comfortably high on the neck?

Random question I know, but I'm just thinking out loud perhaps.

As we know, the majority of people allow dogs collars to sit low on the neck, almost like a necklace. I've seen on working dogs and on dog training videos that a lot of people place the collar high on the neck, in a way that it doesn't slip down, but isn't too tight either. I saw they seem to have more control, so I've been trying it out on Aleu, and it does seem to give you more control and she instantly seems to be more submissive.

Where do you think you should have your collar on your dog when you're walking them?

I'm thinking of getting a semi slip (as a slip lead just slips down her neck during the walk) and having it sit high up on the neck. I don't need to give large corrections on the leash or pull her about, so is this completely safe for her neck?

Stacey xxx

I have it sit high on the neck when I'm walking them. Just loose enough to fit two fingers between the collar and their neck. You do have more control with it higher up and I think less chance of injuring the dog.

Do you mean sort of up high behind the ears? Where you would a show lead? If so then I would be very careful doing this with a semi slip collar as they will easily pull out of that!

Suppose you can walk your dog however you and they feel comfortable.

I keep Suka's just underneath his chin and ears. It makes him a million times easier to control, but it always slips back down to the base of his neck even when it is as tight as it'll go.

Do you mean sort of up high behind the ears? Where you would a show lead? If so then I would be very careful doing this with a semi slip collar as they will easily pull out of that!

Yeah that's what I mean, though I suppose it's about as much chance as slipping out of a slip lead which I'm using now? Or surely she'd have more chance of slipping out of a slip lead if she thought about it?

Stacey xxx

We always walk ours with two collars. One is usually high on the neck for control (although it always slips, I never understood how they are supposed to stay there!) and the other one just hangs there.

It's much easier to have control when the collar is high on the neck. But for hanging around the house or the dog park there just hanging low on the neck is enough. The thing is that with a collar low on the neck it's so much easier for him to pull and we want to avoid that.

Ive seen the illusion collar that ceasar millans wife designed and it's purpose is so as it wont slip down but I think they look absolutely ridiculous on a dog lol.

Stacey xxx

I've looked at it too...but it looks pretty bad on a dog. :D

The more i've thought about this the more confussled i now am! Ha! My parents dog wears his collar very high but he wears a greyhound collar. Teeks wears a semi slip...i think its called....but we dont usually have it on the slip chain so it just hangs loose around his neck...which suits us fine.

But now i think about it.....i havent the foggiest where the collar should sit! Lol!

Its like when someones asks you to spell a simple word....the more you look at it the weirder it becomes. Ha.

Koopa my pit bull's collar has to sit kind of high on his neck. The base of his neck is so wide that if I adjust the collar to fit there it'll slip off hi big ol. noggin lol. Bear's sits more in the middle of his neck/towards the base. I may adjust it to fit high up on the next walk and see about the control cause he pulls like crazy when we go for a full on walk. Koopa pulls no matter what lol got to work on leash training with both of them lol.

I do what ceser does I pull the collar up or use a training lead and put it just behide the ear it makes so much of a different I was thinking of getting one of those illustion collar but it will look silly on them so I decided against it lol ice has changed so much since I did it with him I know walk him on a harness instead of a headcollar he pulls At first then walks perfect.