BARF for beginners

nice stuff.. im leaning more towards doing this. right now its about x2 more than kibble as soon as its the same or cheaper she gets switched

i have been free feeding Suka from day 1 so that she doesnt get food agressive.so if i was to switch how would i go about feeding her i assume free feeding would almost be a no go

wouldn't recommend free feeding Barf to be honest.

I would feed twice a day morning and night, possibly, if she has been free feeding she may not eat it all at once and got back to it later in the day anyway, but always make sure you dispose of any leftover meat the same day so she doesn't get ill

yes as of right now she is with me all day but soon enough she will be home alone for a bit.. she is crated when im out. only thing i dont want is food agression i can deal with it and train it out of her but i just dont want to have that happen.. i cant see her doing that but i have been wrong before lol

food aggression can be trained right from the start, put the food down and train her to wait for the food, i had to hold my boys back at first and kept saying wait, they soon got the hang of it - i then started to add bits of food while they were eating so they associated my hand being near their food as a good thing then every now and again i removed the food and praised them when they didn't react.

She may be different with the barf not sure??

she sits and waits for her food already i can throw food near her and she still will not move.. just over thinking i guess tend to do that when it comes to this little one..

just finished reading that page and didnt know about blending the veggies! didnt know poor suka cant break down cell walls. am glad i read that one!

nice stuff.. im leaning more towards doing this. right now its about x2 more than kibble as soon as its the same or cheaper she gets switched

i have been free feeding Suka from day 1 so that she doesnt get food agressive.so if i was to switch how would i go about feeding her i assume free feeding would almost be a no go

You don't need to free feed to stop a dog from resource guarding. Free feeding is generally not recommended for many reasons, but largely because;

- it is near impossible to do well if you add another dog (or cat) to the house hold

- it's harder to control how much she eats and when

- you may not always have the opportunity to free feed (i.e. if she goes to a boarding kennel, you are away etc)

- structured meal times are a great time to train, by giving the dog one or two set meal times a day you are able to teach the dog that food is a resource you control and not one that is just freely available to her.

- I couldn't free feed either of my dogs as they are both incredibly food driven and any food I put down is eaten within seconds

- You can't feed a raw diet by free feeding as it is too un-hygienic to leave raw food out all day and you might find by switching her over to raw that she eats it all in one sitting anyway

There are lots more reasons why free feeding is not recommended, I'm sure some people find it works for them, but it is always better to feed structured meals (IMO). If our dogs show no interest in their food after 15 minutes it's taken away until the next meal time, not that I need to worry too much though as they all love to eat :)