What's your exercise routine

Jane9

Hi, I wanted to start a topic on how often and what type of exercise you all give your husky. I have read various things like they need 30-60 minutes a day of hard running or fast walking or playing or overall exercise and I have read other amounts of time as well such as 20-40 mins. Then I have read they can go hours and hours and hours. The furthest my husky has ever ran (he is 1.5 years old) was about six km at about 30 km/hr. Currently my guy gets about a 15-30 minute bike ride at a good pace followed by a 10-20 minute cool down walk with my other pup who is smaller and alot slower. We play keep away in the yard as well and go swimming in the summer and there's other activities as well but as for a regular daily routine it consists of mainly a bike ride and a walk. What do other people do and how much exercise time do you find your husky needs a day to keep him happy??? look forward to seeing the answers ! thanks and have a great day.

Hi Jane

Ours get walked twice a day........half hr or so early morning about 5-30am before hubby goes to work

then they get about an hour uto two on an evening

And weekends they get a good run about in an enclosed field we've found.

they seem happy with this,and even if we miss a walk they are perfectly settled.

our get heaps of exercise. mid morning they go out for 3 hours up to 5 hours depending on where we go and how much fun they are having, they get to run about and chase rabbits and swim and explore off lead.

then in the evening they go to our local park for an hour or two to socialize with other breeds.

the most exercise they have had was 10 hours in one day.

the different types of exercises they get are running along side a push bike, pulling a push bike, running with someone following on a push bike

and i honestly reckon thats what makes them so well behaved

If your huskies not bouncing off the walls and then chewing them apart then chances are the level of exercise your doing with him is fine! Also you have to think in terms of mental exercise too, on days where I cant walk my guys as much as usual we do some little training sestions and I take them up to a field where they can dig to their hearts content! :lol:

Other than that they get a good 1-2 hr walk most days, on days I work (Im a dog walker) they come with me and help me run down my walker dogs at an enclosed park, then theres playing with eachother and my friends dogs who we see most days.

Then in the winter I do abit of canicross and scootering as far as my own health and the weather allow! :D

My two get exercised twice a day. In the morning, I run them seperately. Bella goes about 1.5-2 miles for now. Sid goes 3 or so miles. In the evening we all go for a walk that takes us about 3 miles. They also get plenty of wrestling in during the day.:) Bella's happy as long as she gets to terrorize Sid and Sid is happy as long as he gets his one run in. He doesn't care about anything else, just that one run.:lol:

About an hour a day, their exercise is varied, they get to play in an enclosed area with our other dogs most days or get walked or they run with the scooter (not now its too warm). There have been the odd days when they have only had a quick 40 mins but that has never seemed to affect them in the sense of them having too much energy x

So lets see... we go for a walk in the morning and one in the evening, combined it's about 1.30 - 2 hours. We also go to the dog park a few times a week so he gets to run around and play with other dogs as well.

We also play with him during the day and I'd say that our timetable keeps him happy :lol:. Although in the summer he will be content with much less than that.

well i was told that walking a husky does nothing for him ??? i not say this but was told it lol

and i have found this true with my boy ... i have run him at our local dog race track was clocked at 30 mph but most of the time he runs about 4 miles round an old air field he slows down after about 1.5 miles and every 300 yards or so he speed up to about 20 for about 300 to 400 yards with the odd burst of speed going back to about 28 after about 3 miles he steady's out to a 20 ..... but all this is him not pulling ... while pulling / biking with him he does about 1 mile before slowing and then i have to help by pedaling lots more lol ...... if it snowing he just keep going lol

i find that a happy husky is one that has bin run ......if i take tobby out for a walk he does not change one bit .... but after a run you dont even know he is hear cus he just chills out in fact if hes bin run he will not even bother me unless its feed time or he need a piss and needs letting out

but my girl lol shes still a pup so she sleeps loads anyway but i can walk her around the block or to the shops and back and she will sleep for hrs lol but shes big she a 3rd more in weight than my boy is but she a mally and hes a sibe so

seeing my boy running at full speed and at full stretch is a very cool sight

one thing i was also told was to get an old car tire and have your dog pull this (while walking not running) i have a tire but have not hooked it up yet ??? but seems a good idea to me, and he chewed his harness AGAIN so i cant hook him up at the moment

arrr a husky can go for hrs and hrs there the only dog that can change there metabolism while running they can run with out eating the fat in there body so doing this they dont get fatigued so no fatigued in the muscles = no pane

copy this from a site

So here’s the cool thing about dog sled dogs that makes them like no other dog and no other creature on earth. At the end of a race, like the Iditarod, or the Yukon Quest, dog sled dogs are in better shape than they were in the beginning. If a human were to run a race as long as that, they would feel their muscles deteriorate and would most likely need quite a bit of time to recover. Not sled dogs. As soon as these dogs eat, they begin metabolizing calories, which goes straight to their muscles. Their bodies are so efficient, they are able to recover from strenuous exercise. What’s more interesting is the Army is trying to find out how they do it, so they can improve soldier’s stamina. Pretty cool!

like i said befor they will not burn fat stores they can switch there metabolism to burn fat stores dureing a long run,, they are the only dog that can do this

all comes down to walking does nothing u need to work a husky i know this to be true with my sibe but not my mally

At the minute, ours is still very young 6 months old, so he has probably a 40 minute walk early morning, a short 20 mins at lunchtime but this will be replaced by games in the house as it gets warmer, and then eveninga is usually a walk that could be done in 40 minutes but we tend to spend some time playing and leaping about like baffoons so it usually takes an hour.

We also play fetch a lot in the house. He's always calm, quiet and has done very little damage at all so i take that to mean that he is just fine.

Weekends he tends to get fewer but longer walks coz we'll take him somewhere different and take a picnic with us if the weather is nice. X

it varies as to what i need to do in the evenings and how hot / cold it is.

If it's hot they get around an hours walk at night over fields - if it's cold we either go for a run on the scooter or a longer walk. As well as walking / running we also play games in the garden, football, training - we used to play with a hoola hoop until they ate it blink.gif

Suka's on a strict restricted exercise schedule now, but before his leg/hip was injured:

One 30 minute walk per day / or one 30 minute session on the treadmill if I cannot walk him.

Every 2nd or 3rd day we'd go to the dog park for 2+ hours.

But now on his new restricted exercise schedule:

Four controlled 10 minute walks per day. No bounding up the stairs; no free running in the backyard.

Granted, Suka's 8 years old now and he doesn't want as much exercise as a younger dog.

Yuri and Aya both do around an hour on grass 4-5 days a week. But neither seem to want to go out in the heat so I just walk them in the morning or afternoon for about 20-30 mins as they don't like the hot weather. Both are happy, no problems with them so I figure they are getting enough.