does anyone feed purina pro plan performance?

hi everyone does anyone feed there sibes purina pro plan performance i am having problems getting some weight on nanook my male husky he weighs 23.5 kg and my vet has advised me to try to get him upto 28.5kg because of his size,and have been recommended pro plan performance any tips x

hi everyone does anyone feed there sibes purina pro plan performance i am having problems getting some weight on nanook my male husky he weighs 23.5 kg and my vet has advised me to try to get him upto 28.5kg because of his size,and have been recommended pro plan performance any tips x

We used to use Purina Pro-Plan Performance (indeed, our Ute was the Pro Plan Performance "Pin-up) but only in the couple of days before a race. The rest of the time we fed them on an adult maintenance grade food.

UTEproplancrop-1.jpg

Proplan1.jpg

The problem with a high protein "performance" food is that it creates energy, but not necessarily weight. Probably 60% of the dogs that come into welfare, which are described by their former owners as "hyper" and "too thin" are inappropriately fed on a high protein "performance" food. As a result they have loads of energy and tend to burn off the protein rather than turn it into muscle.

You would do better to use a high quality "maintenance" grade food and feed him more of it.

Mick

we used saton ball mixture saton balls site never seen a dog that can say no to this mix yet lol if you google saton ball mix you will find 3 or 4 deferment mixtures

This is the original recipe:

10 pounds hamburger meat (the cheapest kind)

1 lg. box of Total cereal

1 lg. box oatmeal

1 jar of wheat germ

1 1/4 cup veg oil

1 1/4 cup of unsulphured molasses

10 raw eggs AND shells

10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin

pinch of salt

However, if you just want to try them out or have a small dog, I recipe this scaled down version (1/10th or the original).

1 pound cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

1 1/3 cups Total cereal

1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal

1 raw egg

6 tablespoons wheat germ

1 package Knox unflavored gelatin

2 tablespoons oil

2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses

Pinch of salt

The only thing I suggest you change is the oil; vegtable oil has no health benefit, so substitute it with an oil that does (like flax seed oil which is high in healthy omega 3s).

That, and most other Purina feeds, are really poor quality - lots of corn and other fillers.

23kg doesn't sound too far off the mark for a husky, does he really need to gain that much weight? Do you have any photos?

Have a look at the stickies on raw diets or consider Fish4Dogs, Arden Grange, Skinners duck/chicken/fish and rice, Wainwrights, Orijen etc. - all similar price range (with the exception of Skinners which is a lot cheaper) and less fillers and rubbish.

My rescue husky Logan was on ProPlan for months because he was underweight and the vet advised it.

It did nothing. What did work was when we were putting in a fatty puppy food into his diet.

Personally if I still had Logan today, I'd like to have him on Best Choice which SHWA recommends or CSJ.

We gave Logan raw eggs every now and again too. He was 16kg when I got him and should have been 25kg, I got him up to 21kg before he left us.

Stacey xxx

I feed Jewell Blue Buffalo puppy and will switch her to Blue Buffalo Wilderness when she becomes an adult. She is active but not hyper and is not thin or underweight and she loves it.

Purina Pro is rated VERY low on any of the dog food review sites like dogfoodanalysis.com. You might check out that site or do a search on google for dog food reviews. All the review sites are quite similar in their ratings. Purina products are mostly rated at 1 star.

• 2 weeks later...

We used to use Purina Pro-Plan Performance (indeed, our Ute was the Pro Plan Performance "Pin-up) but only in the couple of days before a race. The rest of the time we fed them on an adult maintenance grade food.

UTEproplancrop-1.jpg

The problem with a high protein "performance" food is that it creates energy, but not necessarily weight. Probably 60% of the dogs that come into welfare, which are described by their former owners as "hyper" and "too thin" are inappropriately fed on a high protein "performance" food. As a result they have loads of energy and tend to burn off the protein rather than turn it into muscle.

You would do better to use a high quality "maintenance" grade food and feed him more of it.

Mick

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know what breed that is next to the sibe in the picture? Sorry for the thread highjack! :)

And totally agree with the other posters, you're best off finding another food for your boy. If you can afford it, try TOTW or Orjien. If not, I had Aries on Royal Canin Medium Junior for his first year and he did great on it, although i did mix it with raw feeding.