'Deking' Behind while on walks?

This is a new behaviour I have noticed while taking Suka on his (short) walks.

He'll suddenly stop while we're walking, 'deke' behind me to sniff/mark his territory on things that is on the opposite side of me.

For example, if there's a tree or a stop sign pole, he'll suddenly stop (no warning signs) and 'deke' around behind me to get to the 'interesting stuff' on the opposite side of me. (Sometimes tries to slip his collar in the process.)

This has been a new behaviour that I've noticed for the past week - his diet was not changed in the slightest. And, the weird thing; sometimes he doesn't do it! We'll walk past poles/trees/ anything vertical and he won't do his little 'deking' maneuver.

I've tried the following:

Correcting him

Noting if there are any warning signs (none) to prevent the behaviour from happening

Tightening his martingale collar

Testing if I am the 'top dog' or the 'Alpha' over him. (I seem to still hold the Alpha position, as during the rest of the walk he's by my side, body is low to the ground, and his ears are flat against his head.)

And nothing has worked.

Maybe...but I don't think that's entirely it. When I took him out for his morning 'walk' today, I noticed something I didn't notice before.

Sometimes, but not always, before he suddenly stops he'll seem to slow his pace to walk slightly behind me before stopping and doing his deking thing.

He never walks behind me, so I'm thinking there's more to it than this.

It happens at all times of the day.

Maybe I should try a different route? I don't know, though, cause the route I'm on now is exactly 10 minutes (slowish-moderate walk) and the walk has to be no more than 10 minutes (again, by vet's orders.)

Would using a harness help? I don't have a real harness, but I do have a backpack that could be sorta used as a harness. But why suddenly start this behaviour now?

My Thor will walk quite normaly then just stop and turn the other way, when I try to make him carry on in the same direction he backs away and trys to slip his collar, if that fails he will drop to the floor and roll over. I have worked out that something ahead of us has spooked him, like a crowed of people or an electrical sub station, he dont like it and will not go near it .

That's not it either...he's not scared of anything and he'll happily walk forward. I guess he just figured out an effective way to pee on the trees/poles we pass - I guess he figured going out in front of me wasn't working!

Any ways I can fix this? Walks aren't enjoyable as I don't like my arm being torn off.

havent got a clue, but his posture as you describe it sounds worrying, low to the ground and ears flat sounds like a scared dog, the way Kira was when we 1st got her

ETA: could you just walking him on the more interesting side of you, like rather than walk him on the side away from the trees and bushes, have him in the other hand so he can pee and sniff without having to change over

Well he doesn't look scared - just submissive? His tail is usually up and curled while walking. When he's scared his whole body shakes and his tail is in between his legs.

I could - but then I'd have to hold the leash using my left hand. I use my right hand to hold the leash because I have more control of him that way. I could walk on the other side of the road (which I have tried) but he still dekes around me to pee on the stuff on the other side of me then he goes back around to pee on the trees/poles on his side. <_<

He might be dog deprived (haven't seen or smelt another dog for months!) , but I doubt that's the issue.

I don't think being the alpha has anything to do with it... When you walk him do you let him look around or sniff anything? He could be ducking behind you to sniff etc because he knows he'll get corrected for doing it in front or next to you and is trying to avoid a correction. Have you tried giving a positive command like look or heel etc when he gets distracted and rewarding him with something high value for complying?

Yes, but only while we're walking. I decide when it's time to stop and sniff, then I usually give him the whole leash (6ft) to play around with.

I'll try with the treats, but I'll have to go out and get more considering I just used the last of them trying to teach him how to 'be a ninja' (crawl)

• 2 weeks later...

He's still doing it. Surprisingly, he's not interested in treats during walks...and the treats seem to make the matter worse cause he's more excited cause there's food around.

I tightened his collar as max as it will go today, but he still does it. It's hard to get a video to show you guys what he does unless I get someone walking behind me to take a video...maybe I'll get my brother to help me with that.

• 3 weeks later...