husky bite force?

Kirbysowner

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, sadly some things can only be correlated because a true test would be a bit inhumane. but it seems to me that having a bite sleeve is thoughtless because greater surface area will register a greater force and unless the registered force is fitted for the dimensions of the mouth, then it is expected to to be bias. not only that but different areas of the mouth will apply different kinds of forces, so a dog with a large mouth able to fit a lot will be able to use the back teeth, which seem to be the strongest, and not noticing that would also give bias results. what ive read so far doesnt explain at all how they went about eliminating bias results and seems they just made dogs bite on things that register pressure-force

why do I wanna know? because I like knowing. been told many times I would be good at trivia games because I like to absorb random pieces of knowledge. and as a husky owner I would like to know as much as I can about my dogs' date=' whether be it useful or useless[/quote']

You'd get on with my OH! His brain is full of pointless facts! So many, that he uses this as an excuse for his forgetfulness...apparently his head is too full lol!

Am I missing something? I didn't see Siberians in that video anyway- surely your not comparing them to the wolf. Even if you could count on the results.

i didnt show the video to show any huskies, just wanted to show that the bite force can be determined by a number of different things like how broad the jaws are, head size ect.

I don't think the video is scientifically valid as it uses methodologies which differ from case to case, and which would be completely inappropriate for a breed like huskies. Some dogs were tested with a pressure sleeve, and some with some kind of pressure stick. You simply cannot compare these methods. Try biting down on a tennis ball or on a stick of rock. Given the size and share of our human jaws, we would register a lot more pressure on the rock than on the tennis ball.

Huskies are notoriously non-aggressive with humans (thank goodness) and no matter how much I waved a stick or pressure sleeve at them, they wouldn't bite down on it. They would just look at me as if I had gone Ga-Ga. Food might be a different matter!!!

I don't know where the original comparison came from (between huskies and Rotties) but it makes sense to me in logical terms. After all, in their original environment (North-Eastern Siberia) in winter, everything that a husky would eat would be frozen solid. If a husky's jaws were not strong enough to crunch up a frozen salmon, or piece of seal meat, they would never have survived. How many of our dogs have destroyed "indestructable" Kongs??? - I know mine have eaten several and one of our dogs once ate through a wall.

Mick

agree with raindog, the excitement of the dog will affect the force of the bite. however, after seeing kirby going at frozen food I think huskies dont eat by crunching down on frozen food. he licks it and pulls strands or small pieces with his front teeth, and uses the back teeth to break tough parts.

@roxy1: wasnt comparing huskies to wolves by any means. just pointing the flaws of the measuring system.

Very random question!

Aren't rottie's a breed that can get lock jaw? I'm pretty sure its to do with skull shape.

No such thing as lock jaw in dogs, just incredibly strong jaw muscles ;)

Consider this, breeds like rotties, pitties, and bullies are bred to be grippers meaning they are bred to catch and hold something (another animal or human). Sibes have never been bred for any sort of jaw power, only what is needed for survival.

agree with raindog' date=' the excitement of the dog will affect the force of the bite. however, after seeing kirby going at frozen food I think huskies dont eat by crunching down on frozen food. he licks it and pulls strands or small pieces with his front teeth, and uses the back teeth to break tough parts.

I have one that licks for a minute, then bites, the other 2 bite and break ice treats instantly. But you can't compare our domestic to the husky's of Siberia either.

true you cant compare domestic to actual huskies that live in extreme to almost wild conditions. but my point was that they use their mouth in different ways and is not just about the crunching on food.

i still want to know where the rumors about a husky's bite being strong than the rottie came from.