Sign in to follow this  
StormFi

Your Husky have access to whole house/apartment when You not home?

our 2 used to have access to the whole house, but now they only have the down stars, because a male cat started marking in my daughters bedroom, so now we shut all the doors upstairs.

If im at work their at the pet sitters, and if i have to pop out they are in their crates. Rule of thumb i wont have them in the crates longer than 3 hours.

Same here. She goes to day care 1x a week and if I needed to make appointments etc or have stuff fixed in the house I would schedule it on a Tuesday. That way I don't have to crate her for long periods of time when I need to take care of things!!! Would make me feel bad knowing she is locked up for a long period of time. Now if she chooses to sleep for a long period of time in her crate while I am there its different cause its her choice and she will let me know if she wants out when I am there. :)

Cloud is allowed free roam of the house apart from our small spare bedroom which is closed off with a cat flap, just so my lady can have some quiet time. The only thing her really destroys is junk mail and tissue.

mine when not home stay in their kennel.. but when home they have access to the downstairs except kitchen.. acccess to upstairs is only when i go to bed and then they lay by my side of the bed and a stair gate stops them getting out of room.. allthough they dont move till i do..

when im home my guys have run of the main living area, 2 decent size rooms which we spend most of our time in, door to the kitchen is always shut because they're all scavengers and Keyu guards the bin :rolleyes: at night they come upstairs and sleep in our room

when no ones home Kira and Keyu are crated, Grey has run of the normal 2 rooms

Ours is in his crate when we aren't home and he loves it! He's happy as anything and I always come home to him stretched out, flat on his back. We had only wanted to use a crate as a temp measure but he's so happy we're just going to keep it.

He is free to roam when we are home but he prefers the kitchen and will sleep under the kitchen table at night.

Hey Everyone!

Since in our apartment there isn't any closed doors, wanted to ask how is in other homes with Huskies?

Have full access around house/apartment or are there some closed doors? Oh, and I have to admit that balcony door is closed during winter, my owners think apartment gets too chilly if door is open when there is -20c outside :o

Since Sabaka is only 5 months old, we limit what he has access to. He's housetrained now, but while we were working on that, he would sneak off to the dining room to pee under the table. Since then, we've put up baby gates to keep him downstairs and out of the dining room. Unfortunately, we didn't do that quickly enough--one morning we turned away from him for 5 minutes and he chewed a hole in our couch cushion. The little bugger! Anyway, maybe when he's older he'll get more freedom, but for now, he's either with us, or he's in his crate.

Have noticed that many of you are talking about crates...

My owners has a bit mixed feelings for those, and I personally would hate to be in a 1m*1m*1m box when folks are not at home :angry:

And seems that keeping dog in crate for other than transportation is illegal around here B)

mine get the run of the house if i'm in or out except for the bathroom, they both insist that loo roll is the greatest dog toy EVER and it takes me ever to clean up if they get a full one between them, i'm not really complaining though as thats pretty much the only thing they ever destroy !!! Well that and socks !!!

Have noticed that many of you are talking about crates...

My owners has a bit mixed feelings for those, and I personally would hate to be in a 1m*1m*1m box when folks are not at home :angry:

And seems that keeping dog in crate for other than transportation is illegal around here B)

I would hugely recommend researching crate training. I didnt want to do it at all but ours was chewing things he really shouldnt and I didnt want to come home to a dead puppy. Little did I know...that he would absolutely love it! I have even had to bribe him to come out of his crate to go for a walk.

I totally understand your reservations, I was exactly the same, but I really would recommend looking further into it. Besides which, you wouldn't use a 1m squared crate for a husky. Nno sir! We have the biggest crate possible...tho not recommended unless toilet reliable, we got the huge one at 4months of age........and its big enough for a Saint Bernard.

Lyra has only recently been allowed anywhere but the living room and kitchen. We have a really open apartment, so we use a baby gate to keep her in one area. We now let her in the living room, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom as long as we're there to supervise. We never let her in the office, though, as that's the cats' domain. When we're not home she's in her crate.

And regarding crates - try to think of it from a dog's perspective. A crate becomes a safe haven typically, as long as it's been introduced properly. Lyra now reliably puts herself to bed at night in her crate. :)

mine have full access to the hole house . but i call them down if they are up stairs when its the kids bed time, lol its funny cus keara can SLOW walk up stairs so slow and quiet and she sneaks to the kids room and sleep next to one of there beds lol .. i have seen her do this and trust me she know what she does ,, she know if she goes slow the stairs will not make a noise lol

when it is time for sleep if its a hot night they will be in the pen out back with the air con .. but if they in the house for the night and we are in bed .. they can do what they want ... but all they do, is sleep they tend to move from the front door to the kitchen wooden floor ... and just some times i find tobby curled up on the couch .. they never chew the only problem i have really, if i dont get up befor 7am i find that keara my female is a early morning pooper lol , but she allways does it on the wooden floor and not on the carpet ,

mine have full roam of the house and backyard (except the bedrooms) when we are home, and are in the backyard when we are out. At night we confine them to the hallway as we have a puppy and don't want any messes on the carpet.

Dakota has free roam of the house 24/7, but he has never been a chewer so I never have to worry about him damaging anything. Willow is a MAJOR chewer so she can not be trusted without supervision. She has to be crated when I am not home. When I am home, I just make sure the house is picked up and nothing is on the counters and I leave her toys all over the house so she always has something she can chew on. She's a really good sleeper so as long as I shut my bedroom door, her and Dakota sleep on their beds next to mine. I'm hopeing she will grow out of the chewing and I will be able to atlease give her limited access in the future.

This is really intersting to read! we're selling our house and moving to an apartment while the new place is being built; 2 of our 3 girls have never lived in one so we're more than concerned about how they'll do! Misha has been toting and opening up our down pillows lately... doesn't make much sense, but it also begs the question of how much room she can be given!