My husky is sooo lazy

Hello all,

This is my first post on this site. I'm so happy to have found it! We just purchased our first dog ever; he is a 7 year old Siberian Husky named Phil. Phil is a retired championship and stud dog. We love him so much! He gets lots of attention at home and is crate trained. The breeder he is from says that he is a very mellow guy which we find is very true!

One thing I am wondering about is that Phil seems extremely lazy!! Right now he is stretched out on the rug napping. When he looks at me, his eyes are normal for a minute or two, and then his eyes start closing more and more with each blink.

Phil is very alert on walks but if my husband and I sit on a bench and chat for a moment or two, Phil lays down beside us. He does not romp with other dogs much (he is not an off-leash dog yet) but if there are puppies or other hyper dogs in his face, he will put them in their place. Is anyone else's husky like mine?? Do I have anything to worry about?

mine are quite lazy too - at 7 years old he is probably used to a very chilled out lifestyle - my 2 year old is VERY chilled out because when we got him we already had an 9 year old staffy x who wasnt very playful so blaze HAD to be chilled out as bings wouldnt play with him for long or often

also welcome to the pack - cant wait to see some pics

Welcome to the pack! As he's a husky don't expect him to be an off-leash dog by the way, unless you're in a completely enclosed area. Never trust a sibe when it comes to running off.. When it comes to laziness- Nadia's the same, has been since she was a little puppy. She'd rather lay by our feet than play any day.. The other night after a loooong day at the park I actually had to carry her from the living room to bedroom because she wouldn't get up.. Some of them are just like that.. He's seven, enjoy the peace and quiet of owning a mellow sibe.

Thanks guys, actually one of the reasons why the breeders chose Phil for us was because we said we love to just relax and be couch potatoes. He is a very mellow guy and we've had him for almost 2 weeks and have heard only 3 peeps out of him so far. One of the times he saw his reflection in the TV stand and barked at it. LOL!

As for being off-leash, I understand that a Sibe's high prey drive won't allow for him to be off-leash except in a fenced area. Many people in our neighbourhood have told me that my dog needs some off-leash time but they clearly don't understand the ways of a husky. There is a Sibe pup in our area who is always off-leash but she is always in people's faces, including a couple of teenagers who were trying to do their school photography project and looked very cross when she nearly knocked their camera over.

Phil is not overweight; he's 23.2kg. As he's still intact, the breeder says he'll be a little bit smaller. He's getting fixed next week!

Thanks again and looking forward to chatting with you all.

in the house my two are very lazy they love nothing more than to sleep!! But outside they love to run and love their walks they could walk all day i reckon!! Both mine are laid back in personality though although logan can get very excited when on walks if he sees another dog as he wants to say hello so much he practically rips your arm out lol

Mine's very chillled too. Not lazy, per say because he'll run forever at the dog park, but he's more relaxed than younger dogs. He's 8 years old.

He'd sleep all day if I'd let him.

So - yeah. Older dogs aren't as active and hyper as younger ones, obviously, but that doesn't mean they don't need exercise anymore! Just not as much as a younger one.

Congrats on your first husky ... just remember Huskies are like Crack, once you start you'll never get off it ;)

I do find it disheartening that a breeder would have a dog for 7 years and then just get rid of it when they are not viable for breeding :( Well done for

taking him on and giving him a loving home.

Our Shadow would probably sit around all day if he could - we've got 3 others though so he does have to get on his feet at some point lol!! When he's walking he's lively as anything and he loves running around at our dog field. So long as Phil isn't overweight (previous post suggests not) and he doesn't seem to be ill in any other way, from what you've said sounds like you've just got a chilled out one.

As Rich & Kody said...beware...they're addictive!!