Panting excessively

I have researched this quite a bit and all signs seem to be pointing to a check up. My Husky has been panting excessively since I got him. I figured he may just grow out of it but that is not the case as he's now 7 months old. As some of you know if you have followed some of my threads I have been to the vet quite often, many blood tests done etc. Nothing has been wrong with him thus far with all the regular vet check ups. I don't think it is a temperature problem its not overly warm in my home although if laying outside he doesn't pant unless he is walking. Minimal play/walking causes him to pant a ridiculous amount. We are in from outside now and he is still panting (came in about 30 minutes ago). Another thing my husky does is drinks and EXCESSIVE amount of water.

Any ideas before I schedule this vet appointment? Is it something I should be worried about or typically normal? I don't see many people having the same issues as me when I searched the forum/google.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm I don't know, but Zihna will do it when she is excited. She will have this big smile on her face and pant and of course after we played or were on a walk, but not for over 30 minutes. Zihna is a big drinker too. She slowed down a bit as she got older but not too long ago when she saw water she was drinking it, and even know she still drinks a lot compared to my other dog. I would say that he may be hot, but you say its not that hot in your house. I would call a vet and ask what they think and if you should bring him in. Better safe than sorry and if it is worrying you I would definitely get it checked. :)

When our beloved dogs open their mouth, it means that they're happy and/or they're sweating (they release heat through their mouth).

Well, there are a lot of body language that shows your dog is happy.

Obi pants a lot after a long walk/jog. He does that when he sees me.

It's like a big smile on their face.

But when it comes to panting a lot, can you video it so we can see please?

You say it's not hot in your house but that may be relative. What is the temperature inside and daily outside.

I will tell you that if it is over 74F, and your dog has a heavy coat, he will pant alot.

The drinking of water is a way of replenishing what they loose.

So - if he IS hot and drinking, that is normal.

As you said you have already had him to the vet I am assuming you have ruled out anything medical.

You say it's not hot in your house but that may be relative. What is the temperature inside and daily outside.

I will tell you that if it is over 74F, and your dog has a heavy coat, he will pant alot.

The drinking of water is a way of replenishing what they loose.

So - if he IS hot and drinking, that is normal.

As you said you have already had him to the vet I am assuming you have ruled out anything medical.

That's true - it's around 79 F in my house (Dad needs it for his major arthritis pains) and Suka pants a lot (but drinks a lot too!)

Hi Jonathan- Good looking pup-

The 1st thing I noticed was that he looks a little over weight. Also, he does have a pretty good coat from what it looks like.

Extra weight will make them pant easier than a dog in the same room that is 10lbs lighter.

You say "currently" it is 69 degrees. Keep and eye on the temps and at what point does he obviously start getting hot.

But it seems to me that it is just a normal cooling pant.

Again, since you said you have already taken him to the vet, so I'm assuming there is nothing medical.

But I would sit outside with him for a while (since it's 50 degrees) and if he cools down and stops panting in a sit/lay/stationary position,

then it probably is the heat inside.

His pant looks quite normal tho.

OMG look at him....how cute is he.....he is like a little super star looking into the camera! I just want to cuddle him!!! :lol::wub: He does not look like he is in any pain or distress. Does he ever stop panting? My temp is usually set between 68 - 72 and mine usually feel comfy. I would try sitting out in the cold for a lil while with him just to see if he will stop then he may be just a hot little Husky :) He is definitely a cutie pie!!!

Okay thanks everyone, you are all so great!

He has not started to shed yet...I even purchased the furminator off of amazon and it hardly gets any fur off of him! I feed him twice a day about 1.5 cups (less than suggested). Maybe I should start feeding him 1 cup twice a day? He hasn't been to the vet since he was neutered which was about 2 months ago but they did blood work and all of that before the surgery which all came out fine.

Maybe just as a precaution I should still schedule him? I think I am just way too paranoid...

WHY CAN'T THEY JUST TALK TO US!!!! :lol:

I would call your vet and ask if it could be something serious. Sometimes they give you advice on the phone. If not....if it was me and I was worried I'd go ahead and pay the couple of $ and get him checked and have peace of mind. :) I 've been to the vet quite a few times for nothing and sometimes they did not even charge me then cause it was nothing, just in my head :lol:. lol.

Okay thanks everyone, you are all so great!

He has not started to shed yet...I even purchased the furminator off of amazon and it hardly gets any fur off of him! I feed him twice a day about 1.5 cups (less than suggested). Maybe I should start feeding him 1 cup twice a day? He hasn't been to the vet since he was neutered which was about 2 months ago but they did blood work and all of that before the surgery which all came out fine.

Maybe just as a precaution I should still schedule him? I think I am just way too paranoid...

WHY CAN'T THEY JUST TALK TO US!!!! :lol:

Suggested by who? The dog food bag? You really can't go by the bags info for Huskies. They tend to eat less than most dogs.

2 cups of a quality food is more than enough usually. He does look a little stocky for 7 mos.

But as said above, He sure looks Happy!

I took another video just so you guys can see how heavy he pants. Another thing I did not add before. I live with a smoker who does not leave the house to smoke (ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING I KNOW). This is going to be remedied by the end of the month as I am in the process of purchasing my own home. Do you think the smoke could be causing him to do this? The smoker owns a chihuahua who is constantly around it and does not pant (poor dog). Still a b it nervous about his panting. When he lays down to sleep is the only time he doesn't do it (besides when he is outside smelling around).

Can I still just go with what was previously concluded? May be a bit overweight and/or it's just normal due to the temperature? He does sleep on the cold tile floor and never in my/rarely his own bed. Again he still hasn't shed like ANY of his coat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wftlhnNQpXU

lets approach this methodically. First off he is chunky, sorry to say, and that will make him want to pant more. to rule out temp. give him ice cold water and put a fan or two in front of him and see if that cools him down.

second test would be to take him outside while it is really cold and see if that makes him stop. if either of those make him stop, then it is temp. you can als try getting him wet

before kirby started blowing his winter coat he would pant really bad at 65 degrees. he would pant badly to the point that I got worry because he would fall asleep and his tongue would stick to his coat. However, after a lot of thought I figured he was just getting used to the heat. since he was born in san francisco right before winter. has your puppy been exposed to actual heat? otherwise I can guarantee you he is panting because he is trying to cope with something new to him, and him having his winter coat will make 69 feel like 80

remember that there are two temps, internal and external. iced water will cool him down inside, and the fan or being wet will cool him down outside.

i agree with a few comments that he looks a bit overweight to me. How much exercise is he getting? Beautiful dog though....dog napping plan needs setting up me thinks!! :lol:

He is one chilled out dog which is lovely to see. Try and increase his exercise in the coolest part of the day (early am) as during the day he will get warm so although its cooler in the evening his body is still warm from the day. OF course he will need exercising later on, but try and do the large % early am

Defo monitor how much your feeding him v's the level of exercise

Do you regularly groom him to get the dead undercoat out? that may help (NEVER SHAVE HIM)

Perhaps take him swimming in a clean clear lake or local dog swimming pool etc, this is good exercise, cools the body right down and helps to loosen the undercoat etc

I know a fair few huskys locally to me (all healthy) and one pants way more than the others. It could be that he suffers with the heat more quickly than other dogs/huskys.

hi just watched your video's and i must say what a beauty. tikaani pants all the time exacly the same, even when she iis just chilling out. if your worryd get it checkd out but from the video i think everything looks fine to me as my girl dose the same. keep us posted and feel free to add more video's as your pup is stunning...lol

I don't think the smoking would make him pant. I smoke around my two inside the house and it doesn't cause them to pant. I really think he is just hot. He looks very happy. I love when they tilt their head back when they sleepy to keep from passing out! :lol: :lol:

I live with a smoker who does not leave the house to smoke (ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING I KNOW).

He is passive smoking so the toxins are in the atmosphere and just like a human these toxins are dangerous. i doubt its the reason for the panting but long term (I know it wont be for you) lung/breathing issues may be a problem

Hm yeah because I was going to say he doesn't over eat, he doesn't get human food and he is walked daily...if he was or is overweight then not sure how to tackle that one!

Kirby - he has yet to experience an REAL warm weather.

Thanks again guys for more responses. It is always greatly appreciated.