A husky screensaver?

BlueWolf

On my parents computer we have a picture slideshow as screensaver. We see it quite regularly since the computer is always turned on throughout the whole day. We currently have about 8600 pictures so there are always picture in their no one of us can remember what the hell it is :P It's always fun to guess what and where this picture was taken.

Well, a few days ago I was wondering. This site has an photo gallery, and it currently has _27,248_ pictures in it. Almost all about huskies. So I was wondering what it would look like if we had a screensaver with a random slideshow of all those photos! A huskysaver! :P

So I programmed something very fast. This is NOT a screensaver, nor is it suitable for anywhere but my computer right now. It's just a prototype to give an impression of how it would look like.

9u0q6W9MRJs

I also grabs the member's - photo's - and gallery name. It currently displays them in a separate window though. All pictures are true random. Most are about huskies but since not all photos on this site are necessary about huskies you sometimes get other weird or fun and unexpected pictures once in a while. And I think I like it. Sometimes I just turn it on just to see what the next picture would be :) What do you think about it? Would we like to have a huskysaver?

On my parents computer we have a picture slideshow as screensaver. We see it quite regularly since the computer is always turned on throughout the whole day. We currently have about 8600 pictures so there are always picture in their no one of us can remember what the hell it is :P It's always fun to guess what and where this picture was taken.

Well, a few days ago I was wondering. This site has an photo gallery, and it currently has _27,248_ pictures in it. Almost all about huskies. So I was wondering what it would look like if we had a screensaver with a random slideshow of all those photos! A huskysaver! :P

So I programmed something very fast. This is NOT a screensaver, nor is it suitable for anywhere but my computer right now. It's just a prototype to give an impression of how it would look like.

9u0q6W9MRJs

I also grabs the member's - photo's - and gallery name. It currently displays them in a separate window though. All pictures are true random. Most are about huskies but since not all photos on this site are necessary about huskies you sometimes get other weird or fun and unexpected pictures once in a while. And I think I like it. Sometimes I just turn it on just to see what the next picture would be :) What do you think about it? Would we like to have a huskysaver?

LOL thats excellent .. Never thought of doing that before. :) Nice one

Looking at what your scanning at the moment I should imagine its scanning through a lot more than it needs to .....PM on its way :)

Thanks! :lol:

If I'm going to make this I still need to resolve a view issues. Mainly because I don't really have a clue what I need to do to create a screensaver out of this. Since screensavers are designed to don't give others access to your computer, screensavers are _VERY_ strict in Linux. I don't think I'm able to create that for Linux :( However, I know that Windows lacks the screesaver security and I think that, ironically, it's easier to create a screensaver for Windows. (I say that with a strong pain in my heart!!)

I'll have to think about that. But if you're okay with a screensaver that pulls images from this website every ~10 seconds (I think I need to make the delay a bit longer though), than I'll see what I'll can do :)

Okay, so I've been giving it some more thoughts. Currently the gallery is only available when you are logged in so you need to login in the program before it can show anything at all. Although I'd rather not store username/passwords I still think I can do that. Currently it requests a photo page and scrapes the html to find the information it needs, which is again fine.

But I just realized there is another problem. This site has of course multiple themes, all in which the html code looks different. So unless there is some standard API I've overlooked, there isn't really a good solution for this one :(

Marc, if you want, could you help with this maybe?