Humping

Looks like you're going to be in for a serious ride if he's starting that young! I'd look into getting him neutered as soon as your vet will do that. Most vets suggest 6 months. A lot of shelters/clinics will do it sooner though. As long as he isn't humping you or becoming possessive/obsessive about the pillow i'd try to just ignore it. If it becomes something that he's doing constantly or gets upset when the pillow is not around... i'd be a little concerned and try to engage him in other activities such as simple training or puzzle games or even a walk. Dogs will mostly hump out of excitement (playing with the pillow and really getting his juices going and then he humps the pillow.) So it's a natural thing, but it's not good for him to become obsessed with it.

If you want when he goes to hump the pillow you can channel his energy and excitement into something else.

I haven't raised a Siberian from a puppy, but I wouldn't allow it in my adult male. Niko can obsess with mounting another male at the local dog park, so in his case it is about dominance. I believe allowing my dog to demonstrate dominance in front of me means he doesn't see me as an authority figure. I have seen many other dog owners who allow their dogs to mount other dogs and these dogs are almost always out of the control of their owners.

Good luck, Richard.

post-2418-1358596246162_thumb.jpg

I haven't raised a Siberian from a puppy, but I wouldn't allow it in my adult male. Niko can obsess with mounting another male at the local dog park, so in his case it is about dominance. I believe allowing my dog to demonstrate dominance in front of me means he doesn't see me as an authority figure. I have seen many other dog owners who allow their dogs to mount other dogs and these dogs are almost always out of the control of their owners.

Good luck, Richard.

Not always is it about dominance. Often times it can be part of play. As I said excitement can easily lead to humping especially in an immature dog.

I would of course consider it dominance when other body language/signals are being given. Ears erect and straight, chest out, tail wagging fast or held high/stiff, placing their head on the other dog... ect. ect. ect. Those are definite signs there is a silent "challenge" communicating between the dogs and humping is probably about to take place. There are other times when dogs can be out of control or out of order and an older or "more mature" dog will come over and put the wild dogs in their place. That's how dogs naturally behave.

Not saying I condone such behavior as I will remove my dog (or anyone elses dog- if they're doing it to my own dogs) who's humping at a public leash free place.