Mink Oil

Tazzy557

My Boy has an extreme fear of the smell of mink oil (my husband polished his shoes with it once). I have never in my life seen any thing like it and sorta wonder if it could be a weird husky thing or just my boy is weird (past history with it but I've had him since he was 8 weeks). :blink:

I've never actually seen an animal act like this but he was quivering, tail down, slinking around with involuntary bowel movements. It took us about 2 weeks to figure out what the source was (our vet explained that it was probably separation anxiety since he was better when I took him out of the house with me). Soon as he caught the sent he'd go into that mode.

Just curious :D

Hi,

Mink oil has the same effect and affect as Macadamia nuts and oil which should not under any circumstances be given to your pets, pretty fatal in dogs if injested often enough. Ask your partner to use a beeswax based shoe polish, Sorry but might help!

I use mink oil to waterproof my work boots, and my riding boots. Neither of my dogs have ever had this type of reaction to it. Perhaps your pup has gotten hold of a little bit of it, either from chewing on a treated piece of leather or getting hold of the cloth or sponge used to apply the mink oil, and it made him slightly sick. This may be another reason for his acting funny at the smell of it.

• 3 years later...

Googled forever on this topic, finally found a thread. My rescue Maggie is part Husky. Could not figure out why she was panicking and not going near the door where the shoes are. I put on my newly mink oiled boots, and she would not come near me. Mystery solved after four days of dealing with my girl who was acting incredibly strange. I guess the oiled boots will have to stay in the shed!

• 6 years later...
On 2/28/2011 at 2:23 PM, Tazzy557 said:

My Boy has an extreme fear of the smell of mink oil (my husband polished his shoes with it once). I have never in my life seen any thing like it and sorta wonder if it could be a weird husky thing or just my boy is weird (past history with it but I've had him since he was 8 weeks). :blink:

I've never actually seen an animal act like this but he was quivering, tail down, slinking around with involuntary bowel movements. It took us about 2 weeks to figure out what the source was (our vet explained that it was probably separation anxiety since he was better when I took him out of the house with me). Soon as he caught the sent he'd go into that mode.

Just curious :D

Thank you for posting this. I realize that it was from years ago, but the exact same thing happened with our Shepherd. She is older 8-9, have never seen her scared of any person. We bought my daughter new boots and the shoe store suggested mink oil. We could not figure out why our dog was all of a sudden terrified of our 16 year old daughter until she was also scared of the boot closet. I’m glad we aren’t the only ones who have experienced this.