yes...another crate training question

So, we decided it was time for our husky to start his crate training. at first we let him sleep on the couch and always had a sweater he could use to lay on. Now, when he is tired he goes to different places of the house and sleeps there. We started his crate training, gave him treats inside the cage, and let him eat his rawhide for some minutes in the crate. we threw in his sweater, and his toys all in the cage and let the door open. We also started giving him his food in the crate. After coming back from the dog park, we gave him his rawhide, and closed the door. he did well for a minute, but then started scratching the floor so we let him out.....any suggestions or comments as to how we should proceed with his training? he is already good at relieving himself outside or asking to go out. Right now he is passed out on the floor.......maybe we introduced him too soon to having the door closed? he will still go in if you throw a treat in, but will quickly come out.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, the only drawback was when you let him out of the crate after he was scratching the floor. The dog can never dictate when you let him out of the crate, it has to be completely in your control. I would guide him in with the treats or a toy and then close the door. Only open the door again if he is calm and relaxed. Keep practicing that for longer periods of time, even leaving the room, and only let him out again when he's quiet and good. There is a point where he will cry and cry and not relax, but don't be tempted to give up and let him out, that only reinforces that behavior. Be prepared for a little bit of heartbreak while crate training! That husky whine can be unbearable. LOL.

I found with my dog that I could only crate her when I was prepared to leave the room. If she's in the crate with the door closed and I'm in the same room, she'll cry. But once used to the crate, she will go sit in it on her own accord. I've also taught her the command "crate" and she gets a special treat every time she goes into her crate and sits down.

I'd put him in and shut the door because at some point, he's gonna have to learn to be in there with the door shut! :) If he starts whining/crying, you can try leaving the room, and only come back if he calms down, if he starts up again, rinse and repeat. This could be minutes or hours (every husky is a different experience!). It's going to take patience and perseverance, but as long as you keep focused and have a positive outlook, there's no reason he won't become crate trained! It sounds like you've already created the crate to be "his space" and a positive place at that, so you're doing all the right things! Good luck!

Thanks hellkitten...I took him for a short walk, came back and put treats in his crate..he started freaking out so I left and he calmed down so i gave him a treat. I laid next to the cage and gave him a treat every time he would lay down too. after about 10 mins he laid there and i kept saying "in the crate" and gave him a treat every now and then. he has been laying there for the past 40 mins. he sits up if i get up and go out of sight, but he does that even when laying on the couch.

He did seemed to have an extremely said face through the process and he still has a sad face, but my just be my imagination. I'll let him out after he has been there for 1 hour 30 mins, and see if he can sleep in his crate tonight.

thanks for all of your advices/help/support

Great advice, Heather! +1 rep smile.gif

Kirby's Owner, it sounds like you're on the right track. He may be a little sad, not understanding why you're shutting him in - it's confusing! He'll get used to it, and if he needs to spend time at the vets or should injure himself sometime and need cage rest, it will prove invaluable! +1 rep for sticking with it! tongue.gif

first night was a success, he slept in the cage no problem, but I slept next to him...next step will be putting the kennel in the room so we can watch him when he sleeps, and also we will work on leaving him alone in the kennel so he gets comfortable even when we are out of sight...will probably update next week...

again, thanks for the big help

Yep, don't have much to add to what Heather's saying. Stick with it and put on some headphones if you need to! And just remember, it WILL get better. Sometimes they just need to learn that being confined in the crate does not mean abandonment. I think that once my puppy finally realized that we would ALWAYS come back to get her, she quit putting up such a fuss. And the only way to get to that point is persistence. Good luck!