Shiba Inu

Does anyone own a Shiba? Kiana has made friend's with a couple shibas a the park and I've had great fun talking to the owners about the breed they sound very husky like in their temperament and generally actions. Just curious if anyone owns one and sees a correlation between the two?

We have a Shiba Inu who lives happily with our 11 huskies and our Leonberger. Missy, the Shiba tends to rule the roost despite being the smallest of our pack. She is also by far the best guard dog (although the Leo has a more intimidating bark!).

Shibas have similar characteristics to Sibes - high prey drive, no good off lead etc, but do come across as somewhat aloof. They love affection, but on their terms. They will come to you when they want a cuddle, but if you try to cuddle them when they are not in the mood, they will simply run away.

This is our girl:

MissyMav1.jpg

MissyAnyaAlaska-1.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2674-1.jpg

Mick

someone in my neighbourhood has a shiba inu pup......its soooooo cute

i can never get to say hello thanks to the white hell beast we call echo!!! lol

i wanted to invite them to the forum as the shiba does share quite a few traits as huskies.....

will invite them to the oxford meet though

i loooove shibas, especially the black and tan ones. but i've got my next dog set to be an alaskan klee kai :) they're so lovely :wub:

ooooh just watch were you get a Klee klai from, they are not a real breed they are just very badly bred huskies, breeders usually breed to get the small size so pay little attention to temprament and health! You CAN get some nice ones but then again you can get some VERY nasty ones and the breeders are usually NOT nice people... :(

Tiffany,

Yep I also love Shiba's they would be my breed of choice if I ever couldnt handle the husky size, them and Poms which are also VERY husky like! :D

ooooh just watch were you get a Klee klai from, they are not a real breed they are just very badly bred huskies, breeders usually breed to get the small size so pay little attention to temprament and health! You CAN get some nice ones but then again you can get some VERY nasty ones and the breeders are usually NOT nice people... :(

I must disagree here the Alaskan Klee Kai is in fact a breed in its own http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Klee_Kai I looked very very deep into this breed before the apartments I"m in raised their weight limit on dogs so I could get Kiana. Miniature huskies are completely different then Klee Kais I believe the miniatures are a like a dwarfed gene in huskies. The Klee Kai has a completely different look though they do at a glance resemble huskies. Their attitudes are much different as well. One at our park HATES huskies anything that LOOKS like a husky and he is a 5 month old pup. The owner is well versed in dog and has had them all her life and she's not quite sure what to make of his attitude. Two others that go to our park are nice to other dogs but are very oriented to THEIR humans and don't mingle much while at the park. Though I've never spent time one on one with a Klee Kai so it's to hard to tell if this is part attitude or just those individual dogs. Be very very careful looking up breeders though as I found out there are tons of scams out there with this breed :(

Mick, does your Shiba play as rough with the huskies as the huskies play with each other?

I must disagree here the Alaskan Klee Kai is in fact a breed in its own http://en.wikipedia....laskan_Klee_Kai I looked very very deep into this breed before the apartments I"m in raised their weight limit on dogs so I could get Kiana. Miniature huskies are completely different then Klee Kais I believe the miniatures are a like a dwarfed gene in huskies. The Klee Kai has a completely different look though they do at a glance resemble huskies. Their attitudes are much different as well. One at our park HATES huskies anything that LOOKS like a husky and he is a 5 month old pup. The owner is well versed in dog and has had them all her life and she's not quite sure what to make of his attitude. Two others that go to our park are nice to other dogs but are very oriented to THEIR humans and don't mingle much while at the park. Though I've never spent time one on one with a Klee Kai so it's to hard to tell if this is part attitude or just those individual dogs. Be very very careful looking up breeders though as I found out there are tons of scams out there with this breed :(

Mick, does your Shiba play as rough with the huskies as the huskies play with each other?

Tiffany Im confused you say you disagree and yet you have just made my point? There are alot of scams and their are some nasty dogs in this breed was pretty much exactly what I said.... they are not a recognised breed by any proper kennel club so standards for the breed are not regulated by anyone but the breeder and as I said most of the breeders will be in it for the money not nice and healthy dogs. :(

Sorry Gigi I'm confused you said they are not a real breed so because they are not recognized they are not an actual breed? I know they are a mutt mix of sibes, eskimos, and some other small spitz type but does them not being recognized by a kennel club make them not a "breed" like the alaskan husky??? This is why I wont' breed dogs lol to confusing :D

Rougher! She is like a Tasmanian Devil when she gets going!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The red boy she is sitting next to in the third photo absolutely HATES small dogs - no idea why, he has been like it since a baby puppy - but, because of her attitude, he treats her as if she was a Rottweiler and never tries to bully her or chase her.

Sorry Gigi I'm confused you said they are not a real breed so because they are not recognized they are not an actual breed? I know they are a mutt mix of sibes, eskimos, and some other small spitz type but does them not being recognized by a kennel club make them not a "breed" like the alaskan husky??? This is why I wont' breed dogs lol to confusing :D

It wasnt Gigi it was me... and their not recognised by any proper breed registery, their like Utonagons, Northern Inuits and Alaskan huskies, their mixed with loads of different breeds so they're not any one true breed.. they may be one day if they keep records of everything, do everything ethically and apply to AKC or UKKC then they MIGHT be a recognised breed but most of the people who breed them are not doing that so they very likly will not become a proper recognised breed.

It wasnt Gigi it was me... and their not recognised by any proper breed registery, their like Utonagons, Northern Inuits and Alaskan huskies, their mixed with loads of different breeds so they're not any one true breed.. they may be one day if they keep records of everything, do everything ethically and apply to AKC or UKKC then they MIGHT be a recognised breed but most of the people who breed them are not doing that so they very likly will not become a proper recognised breed.

So what is a proper breed registry according to you? Do you breed sibes? I've never heard of UKKC, I've heard of UKC, which has the Alaskan Klee Kai. Reference

I actually just bought a Klee Kai Pup, so I find it very easily offensive for someone to talk about a dog, like its worth crap. They are NOT sibes, never were, never will be. Most people who claim they are miniature Siberians are mistaken. However apparently there is a breeder in North Carolina, who advertises "Miniature Siberian Huskies", which IMO I believe to be inbred, or have major genetic defeats to make them miniature.

None the less, both Klee Kai and Siberians are awesome dogs/pets likewise.

• 1 month later...

sorry i've been absent for a bit, new computer, lost log in info you know all that good stuff :)

but yes, my family has 2 shibas a male and a female, jersey and zoe. from my personal experience with the 2, i would rather deal with a husky any day. not saying they aren't a great breed ( but i know i will never get another one), they are way more cat like, aloof and independent than any husky i know. also, stubborn doesn't even begin to describe jersey. if he doesn't want to do something, hes not going to do it. hes been through ob. class and all that, but he is still as hard headed as they come. he has also chosen my mom as his person and everyone else just kinda lives in the house.

zoe isn't as bad, my brother has a great relationship with her and she was more willing to learn, but still a pain in the rear if she doesn't want to do something. zoe is definately more out going and more people friendly.

both can have issues when dealing with unknown dogs, for jersey its either sex and for zoe, its mostly females. they are both sneaky and sly things, their smaller size alone makes it harder to keep them contained if they want to find a way out lol