Poor Whisper

Whisper used to be 65 lbs until we got him neutered at 3 years of age. He went from 63lbs to 104 within a few month. At first I did not even notice, I guess because I see him everyday and he is kind of fluffy. It got so bad that he would start pulling his muscles in his back legs, probably from getting up and his little legs could not handle all the weight. Anyhow we put him on a diet and we got him down to 86lbs. That was great, but I was still trying to get him lower to maybe 75lbs. But it did not work. Just recently he started gaining weight again, which was partly my fault I guess.....he is spoiled rotten and he does have the cutest begging face. It was always hard for me not to get him food from the table, but I started watching what I would give him....instead of pasta I would give him some veggies and maybe a small piece of meat just so I would not have to feel so guilty.

Anyway....so today they got their bordadella booster shot and of course they got on the scale and I almost had a freaking heart attack!!!! :blink: He had gain a bit of weight last time I think he went from 86 to 91 lbs but with Zihna around I figured he will lose it again within a few weeks. NOPE he went from 91lbs to 99lbs which means we are almost back to where we started! I just don't understand! He gets twice if not triple the exercise he used to get before we had Zihna. We go walking, they play at home, I don't give him ANYMORE table food since Zihna is here, and he is still on a diet where he only gets 2 cups a day of kibble when a dog his regular size would get 3 cups a day. So its a mystery to me why he gained soooooo much weight!! :( I feel so bad for him.

So I am gonna make an appointment and get his thyroids tested (I think that's what its called). I also started him on half a cup of kibble with half a can of green beans twice a day. He is not a happy camper right now and decided to move into the kitchen in hopes that I will give him something! :(

Breaks my heart not to give him a hand full of treats....but he needs to loose those pounds again. Poor thing!!!

Just be careful cutting so much food from him in case he does have a thyroid issue. What sort of food are you feeding him? If it's a high quality dog food (something Zihna may be on too?) it could be too dense calorie-wise. There are many "light" dog foods available that you could try. Of course you'll know the best course of action when you rule out internal health issues.

Poor Whisper :( My friend Golden Retriever, Chloe, ballooned in weight after she was spayed, and went on a vet ordered diet to lose the weight. Once it didn't start coming off like the vet thought it would, he tested her thyroid and she's now on thyroid medication. Good luck :)

Poor Whisper sad.gif hope its nothing too serious....

when Loki was neutered, they told us to cut his food intake by 1/3 (we haven't because he always seems so skinny, but he also hasn't gained any weight like they said he wouldblink.gif.....)

I think it often depends on when you neuter them. I used to have another male dog that I rescued from a shelter when he was 4 month and then we got him neutered at 6 month and I never had any problems with his weight although I free fed both of them. Then Whisper was not neutered until he was 3 years old and from what I heard it has something to do with their hormones or something. I guess the later you get them neutered the higher your chance is for them to blow up, but I am sure it also depends on the dog.

Just be careful cutting so much food from him in case he does have a thyroid issue. What sort of food are you feeding him? If it's a high quality dog food (something Zihna may be on too?) it could be too dense calorie-wise. There are many "light" dog foods available that you could try. Of course you'll know the best course of action when you rule out internal health issues.

I got him on taste of the wild with Zihna but like I said he is getting less than what he is supposed to eat. He used to be on some diet food from the vet when he was at 104lbs, and then I switched him to pedigree weight maintenance (that was before I knew that pedigree was not a good dog food). The vet also told me that I can always substitute part of the food with green beans if he likes green beans and it will make him feel full but has little calories. So I will see what the thyroid test says and I will also ask the vet that I am seeing now since we moved, if they have a diet food there. I know they have a shelf full of dog food that they sell but never paid attention to what kind it is.

Poor Whisper :( My friend Golden Retriever, Chloe, ballooned in weight after she was spayed, and went on a vet ordered diet to lose the weight. Once it didn't start coming off like the vet thought it would, he tested her thyroid and she's now on thyroid medication. Good luck :)

Poor Chloe, hope she sheds those pounds. It can't be comfortable for them when they are so big with them little legs! I know my vet back then said him being 104 is like a human being 250lbs :( My poor obese pup!It's hard for him to lick himself.....all those fat rolls are in the way :lol:...awwwwww poor baby! I will get him right though. :)