LEASHLESS HELP

GBUCK

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeff&duke out of curiosity, why did you ditch the toy when you started using the e-collar?

I stopped using the TOY because it wasn't working on his recall it worked occastionally I didn't want to rely on a toy for recall I am not going to carry a toy everywhere I go.

Personally I wouldn't use the e-collar in the way Jeff outlined. If you want good professional instruction, gbuck, I can PM you some info on where to get it. What kind of collar do you have?

So I am taking your a professional? I'd like to here your "professional instruction" on how to use a e-collar?

Any method of training will work you just have to stick with it be patient and keep things black and white but simple for your dog to learn what you're trying to teach and you'll set yourself up for sucess. It took my a FULL YEAR to train Duke on come command and it wasn't easy. Any time we are the park and he's off lead I am ALWAYS watching surrondings making sure that I am on watch for any dog coming into the park to play. If so I immediately call Duke over to me and attach the leash to him even though I trust him I am considerate for other people not to worry about my dog.

O.o I took that quite offensively towards the product I've actually brought. Just because it's not an "E-Collar" doesn't mean it's a pile of crap. And Becs, please don't type LIKE THIS at me. There's just no need when all I am doing is sharing a contrasting opinion from someone else with experience with shock collars.

And by traditional, I mean a long line, a call or a clicker with a massive reward of either play or treats. I have personally found that shock collars just give more of a negative effect where as to encourage dogs to do things I think it should be postively motivated.

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be yelling, just for emphasis. I'll use italics next time.

I didn't mean it in an offensive way, it's just a fact. A few of the issues you raised with e-collars are non-existent if they are 1) used properly and 2) the collar is a good quality one.

I totally agree that using PR is really important, I rarely use any physical corrections at all, that's one reason why I like e-collars, because it allows you to give a very very subtle cue or aversive. My dog has a pretty good recall without me having used an e-collar on her, I do think that the e-collar would help push it over the line so it was that little bit more reliable.

There is no reason why an e-collar couldn't also be used with positive methods, in fact I would hope anyone who uses one also uses PR.

I stopped using the TOY because it wasn't working on his recall it worked occastionally I didn't want to rely on a toy for recall I am not going to carry a toy everywhere I go.

Ah ok. I just thought it seemed a bit odd that you weren't rewarding his recall with something really high value, unless I misunderstood you?

So I am taking your a professional? I'd like to here your "professional instruction" on how to use a e-collar?

No, I'm just an obedience instructor. But if you'd like to know how I'd use an e-collar, I can PM you with the details of the training manual I pointed the OP in the direction of, which was written by a very reputable professional.

There are lots of ways to use an e-collar, if I was using one I'd prefer to teach my dog that he has the power to turn the stim off by responding to my command, because this becomes a confidence builder rather than just a punishment for failing to comply.

Can people please be aware when posting that there is more than one way to train a husky. Anyone who thinks this is not the case is nothing more than a fool as it could be proven a thousand times over on here. Not every owner of a well trained and well behaved dog has trained in exactly the same way.

I only say this as on more than one occasion in this topic (and others) it seems as if people get very annoyed when someone says "I wouldnt do it this way" or "I dont believe thats the correct way" .... You should not be getting annoyed with this, instead we should be encouraging it ...... Without may different answers to a question such as this, the member asking the question will never find what is right in their situation.

it seems like i've brought up a very important topic haha a lot of people are interested in recalling there siberian husky but so many of them seem to just give up and say "huskys can't recall and i don't want to risk it". i understand not wanting to "risk it" but if you train in a safe area away from cars you'll probably be fine and if you just give up, you will never know if it's possible. i'm very happy that there are so many different views on this topic.

Having been round huskies for about 7 years an have my own as well for a few as well i have to say yes some can be trained offleash no others can't this is my experience. I don't think it's about giving up some dogs are just not off lead dogs it's just more prone in huskies that this is the case :)

to say give up maybe taken a little ofensive but don't think it was intended that way. You're first husky will maybe make you think a little more on how hard it is when they get to 9 months plus lol

This topic will be debated forever lol

I say good luck an keep us updated :)

...but so many of them seem to just give up and say "huskys can't recall and i don't want to risk it". i understand not wanting to "risk it" but if you train in a safe area away from cars you'll probably be fine and if you just give up, you will never know if it's possible.

This is a highly debated topic. You have the few who allow their sibes off lead frequently, and then you have the majority who don't. Mickey is worked off leash while at agility. He has also done perfectly fine with obedience off leash. In an arena, with people and dogs and tons of distractions. But I know that if we're just walking around at a park or doing something not structured I can practically SEE his mind begin to wander. He has a fabulous recall and he also has an emergency recall (which i've had to use, and it's worked) but the fact is, it's not worth the risk. You can do what you like and see what works for you but we (those who choose to keep them on leads) aren't just giving up and I find that very ignorant, TBH. I've seen/read/heard too many horror stories about dogs being hurt/killed/lost because they ignored a recall. Not just Huskies! If you want to dedicate hours of training a proofing to have your Husky off leash, fine. But! It is a big commitment and nothing that is done overnight. I'm sure Keith, Bec, and Jeff will tell you the same. You don't just do a few exercises and the dog recalls flawlessly. This is something that has to be seriously worked at and conditioned. And even more so with this breed.

I'm not trying to be rude or mean but the fact is accidents happen, and they happen a heck of a lot less when the dog is on a lead. I hope you find something that works for you both.

End of the day the general rule of thumb is don't let a husky offeash in an insecure area. Some will train and do it successfully however please bare in mind this is the minority not the majority.

I can see where you're coming from Bec. I guess whatever works for you, go for it.

My main goal personally is that I don't care about letting her off leash, what I care about is reinforcing that word "Come" with a great reward so as if she got off leash, I'd have more chance of her coming back lol. My mums got a fantastic border collie cross that is perfect off lead, which I admit is cool, but I'm happy having my dog around me where I know she's not going to get away unless I let go of the lead (I always double latch the collars so as if one collar broke I'd still have her on the other using ones of those safety clips) To date, she's never gotten off.

^^ But then I have got a midget husky :'D

Stacey xxx

I wouldnt say I have given up. I have spent a lot of time working on Kira's recall, using her long line, and you can see the benefit in the park.

TBH we havent done much with Grey, but when Kira is in for her op on monday I will be taking him out on the long line with hotdogs and doing some work on him.

Kira does have recall, but I refuse to risk her life by putting her in a dangerous situation. If she was a collie with the same recall reliability, I still wouldnt let her off. Its not all to do with her being a sibe. At the end of the day I just cant trust her 110%

I'm one of the "lucky" ones, Kodah was (and still is every day) trained in a secure area for his recall - he does go off leash when we go hiking through the woods or walking down by the river near me.

At home he also waits at the door if it is open until someone tells him "lets go", this was tested 3 days ago when I had opened the door to take him to my mams and as he sat waiting a kitten ran across our front garden, he looked at it then at me and as soon as I told him "car" he ran and jumped in the boot!

Obviously all dogs are different, even within the same breeds and I completely understand why people wont allow theirs off lead. I also understand why the OP wants to do as I love nothing more than seeing Kodah jumping around in the woods, in and out of rivers and running full pelt with other dogs.

At the end of the day we all love our dogs as much as the next person on here, just because we show it by different means doesnt mean we are wrong.

I am still new here and love reading this forum, it is a great place for advice and comparisons - lets keep it like that.:D

Just so our friends in the USA know - when Kodah jumbed in the "boot" it would be the "trunk" over there!

There is no reason why an e-collar couldn't also be used with positive methods, in fact I would hope anyone who uses one also uses PR.

Ah ok. I just thought it seemed a bit odd that you weren't rewarding his recall with something really high value, unless I misunderstood you?

There are lots of ways to use an e-collar, if I was using one I'd prefer to teach my dog that he has the power to turn the stim off by responding to my command, because this becomes a confidence builder rather than just a punishment for failing to comply.

That's exactly what I did when training with Duke is if he responded to my command he'd be "turning the collar off." I rewarded him with random high value items either it was his toy, a ball, a piece of jerky that i had in my pocket (sometimes) I always kept it NEW, FRESH, FUN, pretty much a variety of random goodies. OR sometimes he'd just get my praise and positive marking. It wasn't a night and day thing either lots of time and dedication and money. However, it was worth every minute and cent :)

That's exactly what I did when training with Duke is if he responded to my command he'd be "turning the collar off." I rewarded him with random high value items either it was his toy, a ball, a piece of jerky that i had in my pocket (sometimes) I always kept it NEW, FRESH, FUN, pretty much a variety of random goodies. OR sometimes he'd just get my praise and positive marking. It wasn't a night and day thing either lots of time and dedication and money. However, it was worth every minute and cent :)

Reading your post, I don't think you used it the way I am describing. You said you used the 'prick' stimulus, which goes for half a second. If you using it the way I would, you'd use a continuous stim.

Reading your post, I don't think you used it the way I am describing. You said you used the 'prick' stimulus, which goes for half a second. If you using it the way I would, you'd use a continuous stim.

IMO that makes no sense. If a dog is coming to you due to the stimulus he/she got from the collar and it keeps stimulating (continuous) then they're not learning that they turn off the collar. Its a consistent stim and most high quality collars (Dogtra, Tri-tronics, Innotek) you cannot hit the continuous stim after you just hit it. You have to wait a couple seconds to hit it again this would result in inconsistant stimulus and can lead to your dog being "collar-wise." By using a "prick" style stimulus you have ultimate control on the stimulus and you can hit again and again if needed.

IMO that makes no sense. If a dog is coming to you due to the stimulus he/she got from the collar and it keeps stimulating (continuous) then they're not learning that they turn off the collar. Its a consistent stim and most high quality collars (Dogtra, Tri-tronics, Innotek) you cannot hit the continuous stim after you just hit it. You have to wait a couple seconds to hit it again this would result in inconsistant stimulus and can lead to your dog being "collar-wise." By using a "prick" style stimulus you have ultimate control on the stimulus and you can hit again and again if needed.

The stim should be given before you give the command. If you are using a prick that is only half a second long, how will the dog learn to turn it off? It will likely take the dog more than half a second to respond to the command especially in the initial training stages. If you just keep hitting the prick style button then that is going to be more confusing for the dog IMO because the stim is turning on/off/on/off etc.

Google Lou Castles and have a read of his e-collar training articles, he explains it far better than I do.

I just cant understand some of the conflicting posts here, members that have corrected people for using physical methoths (hitting) to correct there dogs are condoneing the use of electric shocks :S

Personally i cannot see a situation where this is required. I know we all have our own methods, just my personal opinion.

its a bit different rich, the dog doesnt know the stim is caused by you when using a shock, and it doesnt really scare them (depending on the dog). But if you were to hit a dog that would make it fearful of you and MUCH less likely to come back again

I guess. Presonally i just cant condone shocking, as much as i cant condone hitting your dog / child.

I guess I have a bit of an emotional conflict. Having lost Kody for 6 months, seeing posts that people are doing some things to their "babies" just makes me mad. You're all so lucky to be around your dogs so much

when you're forced to give them up it makes you see situations in a different light. You never know what you have until you loose it.

I try not to post on these topics as it just makes me so upset.

I dont mean to cause any offence, just a personal opinion.