LEASHLESS HELP

GBUCK

i have a 13 month old female husky and i've been in and out of 3 different training classes and pretty much ended up dropping out of all of them. my dogs main problem is being off leash and running away...its so #$%ing frustrating and i've tried just about every possible technique from treats to a shock collar. i'm constantly researching about huskys and problems with being off-leash and it seems like it always concludes as the idea of a husky off-leash is unrealistic. i feel like thats stupid and there has to be a way. i've taken into consideration she is still somewhat of a pup and is very stubborn but she doesl listen to me in all other aspects of training and obedience, so why can't i get her to come to me?!!! if anyone has any tips or precedures that will help me please share.[ATTACH]7609.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-3223-13585960293162_thumb.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

treats to a shock collar.

Ok those are two completely different extremes.

Please do not ever use a shock collar on your dog to try and teach your dog to come back. All that's going to teach them is that every time you say "come" they associate it with pain and you. Therefore they will be more likely to avoid you.

I will write a better reply to help you as soon as I get upstairs on my other computer.

Stacey xxx

welcome to the pack - love the pic of your pup lol - it says husky all over :D

mine are NEVER allowed offlead - i use 100ft leads for mine if we go where they can have a run that isnt FULLY enclosed - fully enclosed is fine as they cant escape (6ft high fence minimum) otherwise i just wont risk my dogs running away or worse being killed - ive let my 13 month old pup off once - she was good but her prey drive is REALLY high so not worth the risk - thats why i have the 100ft leads - i still teach a recall for emergencys (slipped collar, dashed door ect)

there are a few members here who can let theirs sibes off but thats with training offlead from day 1!

you say shes stubborn as pup - imo thats only gonna get worse she will get more stubborn as she gets older not less stubborn

Right, Hello! And Welcome to the Pack!

I personally do not trust myself to let Aleu off. Her prey drive is so high and she get's easily distracted. The majority of us have had to face facts that we have to have our dogs on leashes. But being off lead isn't everything. You can still take you dog on a long line or an extendable, so it's not the end of the world.

The main thing you want to do is teach them to "come" so as you know that if they did get off lead, you at least have a 90% chance that they will come back because they know they will definately get a treat.

I've been watching a guy on youtube called Eric Letendre and I've been following him recently. His techniques are quite useful, but I will definately never have her off lead.

Stacey xxx

I don't want this to sound harsh, but one of the main things that you read about huskies when you research them is that they are not good off lead. If there was a foolproof way to teach them not to run off then I'm sure more people would know about it.

It's just a fact that the large majority of huskies are not good off lead and have poor recall. It's in their nature.

Of course it is a good idea to try and teach her to come back to you in case she ever gets loose but generally most husky owners won't let there dog off lead in an unenclosed area.

I wouldn't use a shock collar, I'd stick with the treats and lots of praise.

There are lots of great ways to excercise your husky without risking her safety by being off lead and running away. You could try canicross or dog scootering.

I NEVER let my girl off lead in an unenclosed area, it's just too risky. She could get the scent of something and that would be it she'd be gone and could end up lost, hurt or knocked down. I walk her on a canicross bungee line attached to a walking belt around my waist. I also jog with her using this and i go scootering with her regularly. She also gets some offlead time in a fully fenced in area.

I think that being off lead is not as important as your dogs safety. :)

Best of luck with your girl, she is lovely!

Max is 2 1/2 years old and I wouldn't trust him off lead. Last winter, we had a huge snowstorm in DC. I thought he'd do ok off lead just right outside of our place as I was shoveling snow. Boy, was I wrong. I cut him loose and he was gone. I seriously paniced. I started calling for him and calling for him, the snow was up to my thighs, I tried to go out after him and finally, after a few minutes, he showed back up. He didn't go far, I'm sure, and there were no cars on the road because the snow was too deep, thank God, but that incident taught me that huskies don't belong off lead in urban areas.

They don't understand the danger that they are in. They think, oh, something interesting, nothing is holding me back, yay, let's go get it, and they take off. They aren't running to get away from you, they are running after something more interesting.

Why did you drop out of the training classes?

I agree there is no foolproof way to teach them to be good offleash. Mine has pretty good recall, but I still wouldn't trust her in an unfenced area. I trained recall with treats and a clicker and it worked pretty well. You first need to find a treat that she really really likes and start at home, then to an uncrowded area, then to a more busy area with more distractions to work on recall, but only and always on a long lead. And you want to call her name before she hits the end of the lead, so she doesn't just think she can go until the lead pulls her back. Good luck, but rule of thumb is huskies are not off leash dogs.

you guys are so helpful! thank you for all the feedback.

the shock collar is something that i do know how to use and was instructed by a k9 dog training expert to use for her recall cause its at the highest level of difficulty at this point. the shock collar i feel is something that a lot of people dont understand, i would never crank up the intensity level, and i have shocked myself and the pain is very tolerable. the small shock is used as if the mother were to nip her pups, she really does listen after i use it but its not in fear trust me its more of an understanding type response. i also RARELY have to shock her because there is a vibration button that is also used as if i were to say "come". i'm not saying its not all bad because if you don't know how to use the tool it can be VERY dangerous and mean.

she responds to treats but definetly gets bored of them quick. i've tried meat and hot dog which works better but still not aything special. are there any suggestions on what kind of treats i could use?

shes a very good dog and i didn't know the recall for huskies was so poor before i got her but thats something i am willing to work with. shes an amazing dog and very well behaved other than that. thanks again for all the advice you guys are very helpful!

So obviously, what you have heard is true. These aren't off lead dogs. Don't become angry or frustrated... it's a known breed trait. Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't teach the dog to recall. ALL dogs need to be taught a recall. Buy a long lead and dedicate yourself to practicing the recall daily. There are a few members here who trust their dogs off lead. As much as they may feel they are in control of their drive... I would never put my dogs life at risk. They are born and bred to run and that's what they'll do.

if you want a dog to go offlead, get a collie. You read when researching about the breed that they are very very unreliable off lead, yet you went ahead and got one regardless, and you are now putting her life at risk by going against the advice of every breed club in the world and 99% of experienced sibe owners.

If sibes had a reliable recall, do you really think that every countrys breed club would advise against it so strongly??

There are some sibes which are let off lead, intensively trained from day one, but they are the exception rather than the rule. and many of these sibes wont live out their natural life. We have had members on here posting RIP threads after their sibe has refused to come back and been hit by cars or never been seen again, and these where older sibes (i.e not puppies), who had always been very reliable off lead.

My girl Kira is nearly 2, she has very good recall in the dog park, will come 99% of the time, but she only does this in the park, because she knows she cant get away, even with her good recall (a few members on here can vouch for how good her recall is for a sibe) iwould NEVER let her off lead in anywhere that wasnt fully fenced, because I value her life too much.

If you actually want her to live a long life then keep her on a lead, or go to a purpose built dog park, I see you're in the US, there are dog parks in most cities there, so you have no excuse.

The nip effect that you've heard about dog collars is extremely wrong. Surely using it on yourself has shown you it's nothing like being nipped by a mother.

I would stop the use of it. It may not have a high voltage, but all its going to do is cause discomfort that your dog will ignore if they really want to run away and possibly cause damage to the dogs neck and fur.

There's a lot of good points raised here and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction of getting your dogs recall as reliable as we can, but I think everyones made it clear that you need to be prepared for that fact that it just may not be a possibility, but please don't let that upset you or ruin your relationship with your dog. You can have a fantastic relationship on lead!

Stacey xxx

i'm going to try again to get her recall as effective as possible with treats and in an enclosed space. its amazing, when i first used the shock collar i had great results where she would happily come back to me (without wearing the collar) for about two months, and then her wolf drive kicked in again haha but i don't like using the collar dont get me wrong, but i think the experimentation with it was necessary. i live right near the beach so letting her roam off lead at the beach is very safe (and there are very few dogs around). it would be interesting if i could eventaully get a completely reliable recall, something i would be very happy with and will still strive for. i have taken into consideration that it might not be possible but i am still going to try cause having your dog off lead and able to run with you and play is so much more enjoyable (especially for the dog). thank you for all your help again, i love to hear immediate feedback and especially from those that can relate.

Please do not ever use a shock collar on your dog to try and teach your dog to come back. All that's going to teach them is that every time you say "come" they associate it with pain and you. Therefore they will be more likely to avoid you.

Not if it's used properly.

The nip effect that you've heard about dog collars is extremely wrong. Surely using it on yourself has shown you it's nothing like being nipped by a mother.

I would stop the use of it. It may not have a high voltage, but all its going to do is cause discomfort that your dog will ignore if they really want to run away and possibly cause damage to the dogs neck and fur.

Staceybob... have you used an e-collar on yourself? What experience do you have with using the tool properly (i.e. low stim e-collar training)?

I agree that when used properly it's not quite like being nipped by its mother, I would say the feeling of the stim on working level is less than that, it is so subtle, you can barely feel even a vibration.

i'm going to try again to get her recall as effective as possible with treats and in an enclosed space. its amazing, when i first used the shock collar i had great results where she would happily come back to me (without wearing the collar) for about two months, and then her wolf drive kicked in again haha but i don't like using the collar dont get me wrong, but i think the experimentation with it was necessary. i live right near the beach so letting her roam off lead at the beach is very safe (and there are very few dogs around). it would be interesting if i could eventaully get a completely reliable recall, something i would be very happy with and will still strive for. i have taken into consideration that it might not be possible but i am still going to try cause having your dog off lead and able to run with you and play is so much more enjoyable (especially for the dog). thank you for all your help again, i love to hear immediate feedback and especially from those that can relate.

Why did you drop out of training classes?

Does she like to play with toys?

I can have loads of fun with my dogs, on the lead, and in a secure area... Why is it so hard for you??

I agree but I also enjoy doing things like obedience, agility etc that mean you dog needs to be able to work off leash reliably.

I've never been to an obedience or agility trial where it is safely enclosed (they are always in an outdoor area here) and you couldn't do any of those sports with your dog if it can't work off leash reliably.

Not everyone has fenced dog parks either, some places only have big open areas. It would mean many dogs never get off leash outside of their own backyard.

I definitely agree with Sid, if you wanted an off lead dog a collie or lab would've been better suited to you. Please only work on her recall in a fully enclosed area for her safety. I would definitely suggest a 100ft lead, which is what my guys have when we go to parks and the beach where it isn't closed in. You do need to train her on recall for instances when you're going to the dog park and others, but a husky is never 100% reliable off leash, and all it takes is that 1% for something to go horribly wrong, and you can only blame yourself. These dogs are bred to run, and they're going to run, whether you're chasing them screaming their name or not.

well i wanna take her hiking and to the beach without her wandering. the shock collar is very helpful but like i said again i rarely have to shock her, BEC i appreciate the other shock collar opinion! haha i think i still take it a little personal too that she runs off, it makes me a little upset and i feel like it says a lot but i do know its has to do with her instinct. she obeys me in all circumstances except for off-lead 30% of the time.

i stopped the K9 class because i was running out of money haha but i loved it, i would go back if i could. dog training has become a passion for me and i have actually helped a lot of my friends with there dogs.

she likes some toys but gets bored of them quickly. the sand crabs at the beach are a little more entertaining.

well i wanna take her hiking and to the beach without her wandering. the shock collar is very helpful but like i said i rarely have to shock her, BEC i appreciate the other shock collar opinion! haha i think i still take it a little personal too that she runs off, it makes me a little upset and i feel like it says a lot, but i do know its has to do with her instinct. she obeys me in all circumstances except for off-lead 30% of the time.

i stopped the K9 class because i was running out of money haha but i loved it, i would go back if i could. dog training has become a passion for me and i have actually helped a lot of my friends with there dogs.

she likes some toys but gets bored of them quickly. the sand crabs at the beach are a little more entertaining.

The 30% of the time that she doesn't listen to your commands when she is off leash, is there normally a reason i.e. she gets distracted chasing something, wants to run somewhere etc?

Even with a Sibe, who I would only ever have off leash in an enclosed area or on a long line, I wouldn't be happy with only 70% recall.