My five month old Husky won't walk on leash.....

I have had 4 huskies in the past and they all walked on a leash from 10 weeks on. Bit I have a 5 month old husky that bought fro a breeder 2 months ago that won't walk on a leash at all. I have tried letting him drag the leash to get used to it and he walks with it draging. But as soon as I pick up the leash he drops all his weight in a laying posistion and won't budge. I tried baiting him with treats and calling him to try to get him to walk on the leash and that won't work. I also tried using his favorite toys to try to walk a few steps or at least stand up on the leash and still he stays in the laying position. I have several different leashes I tried this with and I just want to take him for walks instead of being confined to our garden. He is potty trained to go out in our yard to do his "business" , I taught him sit, lay down and does great with those. I just don't know why he don't want to walk on a leash. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it

thanks

Have you tried talking to the person that you got him from? Perhaps they can shed some light on this issue!

Just thinking aloud here - but maybe hes uncomfortable with someone holding the lead and it pulls on his collar - I know i can never wear a tie properly around my neck as it makes me feel sick!

I would suggest trying a harness - but you dont want to go out and buy one if its not going to work! Do you know someone else that has a harness that you could try him on!

or what about a halti ?

wouldnt try a halti untill your dog is comfortable with the lead etc..... if there has been a prob in past then the halti could make it worse as that is designed to go over the muzzle area...

from what u have said in message.s to me ...i do think there is something the breeder has not been open with you on..

bit like my Nikita you go any where near her head and she will duck and cover her nose with her paws... very submissive...... only guessing but it could be a sign of submission... lots of love may be the answer..

i know exactly what your going through!!! i got alaska first at 7 1/2 weeks and she didn't like the collar or lead at first but after a few days she was fine, and then a few months later the guy who we bought alaska from said he kept a puppy but now couldn't look after him >> he was the biggest in the litter and now at 5 months he was getting too much..............

sooo to cut a long story short we said YES and called him balto, he was terrified of the collar and would grind his heals in the floor when it came to walkies...and the answer is simple, get a a good strong nylon collar that is adjustible >>> loos:rolleyes:e enough so it's comfortable but tight enough so he doesn't slip it, take him for a walk and ignore bad behaivour, so if he doesn't budge tug the lead and procede on walking and say "comon" in a light and encouraging tone >>> but number one golden rule:

KEEP WALKING!!!!!

head high, confident ...each time he doesn't budge or tries to run off or any other bad behaivour give a correction (i.e tug the lead in the direction you want him to walk in) and say "comon" >> dont baby him or anything as he has to learn and soon will associate the lead and collar with a fun walk, when i did this with balto i took no toys or treats i just kept walking...i didn't get frustrated but i stayed positive >>>> it workes trust me...right now he's thinking my owner offers food, toys and praise when im bad and refuse to walk on a lead >>> he'll think he's doing the right thing by resisting the collar and lead >>

i say not to use toys or treats because right now his mind is switched off and he's not in a calm state of mind, when he's got the exercise and youve come home give him some cheese >>> does he have any other bad habbits?? because were still training balto at 9 montsh (from getting him at 5!lol) as he was pretty much ignored and over crated and has some bad habbits and i may be able to help lol

afraid i cant help u sorry where smeagle when u need her?!

LOL BB here now, it was the middle of the night over here when this was posted :P

It sounds like he does not understand the value of going for a walk or having the leash on. I know my dogs get excited as soon as I pick the leash up, this is because they have been conditioned to see the leash as indicating we are going to go out somewhere and have a great time.

How can he tell when you pick the leash up? Is it because you put pressure on it or he sees you doing it? I wouldn't force him to walk with you as a way of teaching him, his value of the leash/going for a walk is obviously very low or negative so you don't want to increase that negativity by making it like a punishment or something he is forced to do.

Put a lightweight collar on him and when you are supervising let him drag a lightweight piece of string attached, ensuring he doesn't get tangled in anything. Progress to a lightweight lead when he is comfortably dragging that around and then pick it up but keep it tension free, just follow him around - don't try to guide him.

When you progress to walks things that help are having someone walk in front of you, walk with another (friendly and confident) dog, put out a trail of treats to follow, roll a ball or toy etc. Offer lots of praise when he is walking confidently and keep a no fuss attitude of he stops, don't try to coax, it's too much like begging, use a confident voice and body language that shows it hasn't even entered your mind you might have an issue. Keep walks very short at first and in familiar surroundings, like just in the back yard or in front of the house. Do fun things like play, feed and treat when he is on lead and if you want to be really serious, restrict those things to on lead only for a few days i.e. put his leash on him when you feed him, when you play with him etc.

Keep it gradual and keep each walking session short, and always end on a positive note. Do not give in, or stop the session if he is refusing to walk. Every time you let him lie down and refuse to go further he thinks that using force and strength is the way to win and he will learn to use this in any situation, not just walking. Like I said above, you don't want to make the whole experience about forcing him to walk because you can't force him to enjoy it and you want his value of the walk to increase. Do whatever you can with the above techniques to keep him walking, and don't fuss over him if he stops. Even try dropping the leash and running in front of him, calling him to follow you. If he is working well don't feel like you need to keep going to increase the length that he will walk on the leash, always try to end it on a positive note so if he is walking well end the training session before he gets tired or loses interest. Everything we do in training is about time before distance before distraction, that is, take it gradually, start getting him working well before increasing the length of time he can walk on the leash and then once he has perfected it slowly increase the level of distraction (i.e. start in the back yard, get him working well, then take him to the front yard etc).

ETA: Meant to ask what treats you are using when you try and get him to walk on the leash?

Thanks Sarah!

I almost meant to add, what does he do if you drive him somewhere really exciting (like the park), put the leash on him and take him out of the car? Just curious what his reaction would be if he has the leash on but really wants to go somewhere.

I have had 4 huskies in the past and they all walked on a leash from 10 weeks on. Bit I have a 5 month old husky that bought fro a breeder 2 months ago that won't walk on a leash at all. I have tried letting him drag the leash to get used to it and he walks with it draging. But as soon as I pick up the leash he drops all his weight in a laying posistion and won't budge. I tried baiting him with treats and calling him to try to get him to walk on the leash and that won't work. I also tried using his favorite toys to try to walk a few steps or at least stand up on the leash and still he stays in the laying position. I have several different leashes I tried this with and I just want to take him for walks instead of being confined to our garden. He is potty trained to go out in our yard to do his "business" , I taught him sit, lay down and does great with those. I just don't know why he don't want to walk on a leash. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it

thanks

Was watching the Dog Whisperer the other day and he had a similar case with another dog that wouldnt budge on the lead at all! As usual, he made it look easy!

What he basically said that they hadnt introduced the lead in a positive way and when the dog didnt budge they dragged him/her along causing the lead to be a bad experience, hense why he/she refused to walk on a lead.

What Cesar did was took the dog away from the owners and walked a small distance away from the house. He maintained his usual calm/assertive energy and once he went a distance away from the house he put the lead on the dog and let the dog go at his/her pace. If the dog didnt move, cesar didnt move as to not put any strain on the dog or lead. When the dog walked, he walked and within a matter of minutes the dog was walking on the lead.

I dont know if that would definately work with your sibe and would suggest consulting someone who knows more about dog behaviour that I do (i.e. Behaviourist or trainer).

Btw: Great advise Bec and Ice and Cripton - added to reps