Please Help (Agression)

I was thinking the same thing. He shouldn't need to be leashed indoors, he has no sense of independence. I would bet that these are two huge contributing factors. I'd potty train him the old fashioned way...keep an eye on him.

really glad you took it off, im not surprised he hated it - you wouldnt like be shocked either.

did you have it on to try and keep in him the garden boundry?? cos you defo need to think about how to keep him safe if thats the reason.

ya never know someone may know someone with husky experience in phoenix

Posted from my HTC EVO 4g.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried to train him without the prong choker? Using a harness and any time he pulls just change direction. Should pick up pretty quickly that if he wants to walk somewhere then

he sould not be pulling.

In my personal opinion I dont like these prong tools, they put pressure on the neck and are discomforting. When dogs attach the instinctivly go for the neck. He could be reacting

to this. I always favor the harness for this breed. takes away any pressure from the neck alowing them a bit more sense of freedom. I'm not dging you here just an opinion :)

Best of luck

Rich & Kody

I had to repermand him tonight by smaking his cage.

I can understand your frustration with him and while it may seem that smacking the cage helped in that instant, it won't. Smacking the cage or rattling it will only have him fear you and/or begin to fear or feel the need to guard the cage even more while he's in it. I understand your frustration and i'll admit i've smacked a few crates in the past. But it hasn't done anything except in that moment made me feel like I had taken control of the situation.

The prong collar is a great tool when used correctly. The collar should be placed high on the head behind the ears. Only a SLIGHT correction is really all that's ever needed. A dog with a properly fitted prong should never need to be given a forceful correction, that WILL injure the dog.

How is the dog exercised? Simple short structured walks won't do him any good to relieve energy. This breed was meant to run and pull. You need to keep that in mind.

I understand you want the best for this dog and want everything to work out, but if dominance or "alpha" techniques aren't working, i'd suggest to try more positive reinforcement training.

Regardless of all this, I do believe you need professional assistance.

yeah, he growled at my dad again this morning, a small growl while he was petting him on his head...I don't know what is going on. I found a behaviorist...tlck9academy.com Please advise me if you think this is a good trainer!!

I can not really tell you if he is going to be good or not and its always hard to tell from a website. HOWEVER, it says FREE evaluation and demonstration. So I would say GO FOR IT!!!!! You have nothing to lose to have the guy come by and evaluate. When you contact him ask if he is familiar with Husky's and if he trained some before. I worked with a trainer and asked her if she had worked with Husky's and came to find out that she had and even owned a Husky mix so it was perfect. Give it a try and see what he says. Then decide if what he says makes sense. If you want post what he said and we will give you our opinion as good as we can.

I am actually excited for you. Your dog does not sound to bad and I think this is going to be a quick fix if you get it fixed NOW before it gets worse. Can't wait to hear about how its going to go. :)

thank you all!!! you guys are so great. My dad is just super terrified of him, and I have to put that stupid collar back on him today so he doesn't lick himself.

your dog will pick up on this & will be worse as a result, i really think that this collar is causing more issues. Please, please seek professional advise from someone who has experience of huskys and uses a positive reinforcement technique

Hi, yes thank you guys for all the support I'm a little nervous about the trainer however, becuase of the bad reviews I read online that he uses "muscle stimulators" I'm a bit nervous about that. there's been 6 complaints in a couple years about him

TLC K9 Academy | Ripoff Report Directory | Scams, Frauds, Reviews check this out for me and see what you think.

If he's using voltage, that's a positive punishment. I would definitely stay away from that, I would not have my dog shocked. You said he was fine with your dad when you took the collar off of him.

Help us get a better understanding of what methods you are using. You said you had him on a leash while indoors, at all times. There was also mention of a prong collar and you have him in a different collar now? Can you explain a little more thoroughly?

If he's using voltage, that's a positive punishment. I would definitely stay away from that, I would not have my dog shocked. You said he was fine with your dad when you took the collar off of him.

Help us get a better understanding of what methods you are using. You said you had him on a leash while indoors, at all times. There was also mention of a prong collar and you have him in a different collar now? Can you explain a little more thoroughly?

Yes, I use a prong collar stricly to walk. That is all. We keep him on a leash at all times indoors, to prevent accidents, as he has had many. This is strictly for housebreaking.

Other than that he is on the leash out back, but we allow him to roam as he pleases (on leash).

That's about it, he's been a good boy. He has been growling at people more so lately though. He growled at my friend the other day when he visited over, He was handing me something.

He is now growling at my dad more often, when not in cage, and even with the e-collar off. He needs a serious attitude adjustment.

Best advice I can give you is to forget about leashing him indoors and scrap the prong collar and shock collar. Give verbal corrections but don't give physical punishment. Make sure he is getting lots of praise for the things you want him to do. Set some structure for him while giving him a little independence. Huskies are very independent. By keeping them on leash, even when they're at home, they feel threatened and completely dependent. Discourage bad behaviors by ignoring him.

Have a search on www.apdt.com for a trainer in your area.

I have a strong suspicion this is fear related.

Really why would he be scared I don't hit him or anything, all though he did lay on his back for me this morning when I yelled at him. Wierd.

I don't use a shock collar, it's a collar that looks like a big stupid cone.

The keeping him on leash in the house has worked very well for potty training, which is a major concern as he was originally peeing and pooping everywhere.

Yeah no these are warning growls with teeth showing (only once). He has never bitten anyone. He has nipped at one or two people he didn't know trying to establish dominance.

he got neutered yesterday btw.

This may be a stupid question, but if he was only neutered yesterday, couldn't some of his aggressive behavior be linked to just not feeling well? No dog is cheerful when he/ she feels like crap, and neutering is a big deal. It sounds like this has been going on for a while so I'm sure it's not the whole issue, but I have seen normally sweet and affectionate dogs turn into snarling animals when they are sick.

This may be a stupid question, but if he was only neutered yesterday, couldn't some of his aggressive behavior be linked to just not feeling well? No dog is cheerful when he/ she feels like crap, and neutering is a big deal. It sounds like this has been going on for a while so I'm sure it's not the whole issue, but I have seen normally sweet and affectionate dogs turn into snarling animals when they are sick.

he's very friendly with me. Not my dad.