Practicing focus work

Bec

Just thought I'd share a video of Micha I made today.

Very very basic, just showing how I work on his focus by putting him in a stay and throwing treats in front of him, and getting him to stay with the treats next to him :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeT8VhP0Syo[/ame]

Please excuse the very end, where I tell him to sit again. I can't stand when he slopes over in his stays like he is about to pounce on the food so I remind him to sit up :rolleyes:

Just a bit of fun, and working on strengthening his focus. I play this 'game' in a variety of settings, inside, outside, at the park, near other dogs etc etc.

Thanks guys :)

Anne - the key is to get him looking at me not the food! Micha is very food driven so I am lucky I have an easy way to motivate him and a strong instinct to work with.

I can get him to do the same with his favourite toy (a cuz ball) but he isn't interested in chasing something once it's not moving, so I will get him to stay while I throw it and then give him the 'ok' to get it, but he's not interested once it's "dead". And I can't get him to tug with me because I accidentally conditioned him to get the most satisfaction out of retrieving, and when he was young I taught him not to grab items out of my hands... so I really backed myself into a corner LOL!

Thanks guys!

Sarah isn't it funny how there are some things they pick up really quickly and others, not a chance LOL

Yeah kaiser will sit and wait for his food most of the time but he squirms and twitches and squeaks (will have to try and get a video to show you)

Kimba though is fine, he'll just sit there quite happily until I say OK - can tell he's my boy - Marc - sort your dog out!! lol