Rotti Help.

is she having problems that are specific for a rottie - or could we help in any way?

i know of a dog forum - and 1 of the people on there has a rottie - but i dont think ive seen her on there for a while - but its an ALL dog forum - so somebody might know - let me no n ill PM u

I think husky people can help! i don't think it's a breed issue, but thought rotti people would know rotti ways to help.

Obviously he's the first rottweiler i've been around! haha .

We moved house around 2 months ago.

Rudi is aprox 6 years old, she adopted him last year, this is his 3rd home. But as far as the rspca knows his past owners only gave him up because they couldn't be bothered.

He's been lovely since having him. Needed a little leash training, but with an easy walker harness became a dream to walk.

He can be let off leash with nearly perfect recall, is very excepting of new dogs, even in his own home. He has no food aggression.

He's the usual well behaved dog.

The problem although has begun in the last few weeks while walking along the bike track near our house.

He's pulling to get to dogs and even beginning to snarl at them.

I've tried walking him myself and correcting him, but he is very powerful. It's a very different kind of pull when a dog like him yanks you about on the end of a leash.

So yes! Help anyone!

i'll hand my computer over to my friend to respond to any replies.

:)

has heen been neutered ? if not that getting him fixed could help

has anything happened that could have started this behaviour - getting attacked ?

could he be in pain at all? as you know some animals in pain will lash out

im sure - somebody with a bit more experience will be able 2 help

im not sure if this applies - but heres an article on handling on lead aggression - it was posted up on here b4 so i bookmarked it - im not saying it is aggression - but having a read might help? - http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/33/1/

mmmmm interesting.. this is a recent thing, and its not person specific... Like Nix said, anything in particular that might have set him off?

When you guys see another dog approaching what do you do? coz alot of it can be him playing off your behaviour, if you imediatly tense up and think OH NO ANOTHER DOG WHATS HE GUNNA DO? Your passing that tense uncertainty down the lead to him...

Two things you can do to get him past the dog is to work on a attention command to get his attention on you and not the other dog.. I personally use the word "LOOK" but you can use "watch me" or "focus" or whatever you want, start teaching this in the house first give the command and reward immediatly for eye contact, build this up till he will give you attention under distractions say someone playing with a toy and then take it outside and build it more with other distractions. This should help you get his attention off the other dog approaching.

The other thing you can do is as soon as he sees the other dog walking towards you turn around sharply taking him with you and then turn back again to go past the other dog, this way its distracting him again so again hes focusing on "huh whats my owner doing?" rather than OMG theres another dog comin!!!

Hope this helps!! :)

thanks for the replies guys. i'll pass that link on to my friend nix, thank you!

Kristens at work right now, but i will reply with what i know. He's not my dog so i haven't payed 100% attention to him and whats been going on.

Kristen did say that a little while back a dog tried to attack her and that Rudi got in between her and the dog and dominated it.

Whenever he starts getting too alerted and fixated on dogs she's been giving him a correction and making him look back around at her, then we've continued walking.\But half the time he just goes and pulls like a machine.

We were thinking getting him a head collar would be a help? because he's so powerful any extra help would be great.

So far she's trained him on the easy walker harness, that was great until he figured he can still pull on it, plus those harnesses loosen up during a walk which is really frustrating and doesn't help.

Tried a normal collar walk and walking him on a choker chain. But he's not even noticing corrections ont he chain. He tenses up and is in such an angry mode he doesn't notice it.

Kristen and myself have always lovevd walking all our dogs together and letting them meet other dogs, so i think it's only been the last few times we've walked him that we've started feeling anxious. He was doing this still when we were happy or just talking normally and not thinking about him going in to fight mode.

arh i'm really no help, i need kristen to talk haha. I know my Ocea and Honey, but not big Rudi.

ETA: yes, he's desexed

:)