Who'a the Alpha??

Apart from you of course...who's the alpha (if you have more than 1 dog) with my two we got alaska first so she was more dominant in her own home, and to this day she still is. They had 3 weeks of fighting to figure it out (and i was told to let them ride it out until they got the packing order but then to stop all fighting afterwards) and alasak won about 95% of fighting , she would gowl at her food, steal his toys and treats...attack him at any given chance and poor balts would just give in:confused:

but now theres some equality >> balto can keep his treats (lol:rolleyes:) and he doesn't get attacked, but she will growl and snap at him still if he comes near her food, but the other day alaska had a treat but clearly wasn't interested so balto saw it and snatched it and she 'whood' at him and lay down looking very put out lol!!!!

alaska will win fights and usally tug of war and is a bit more dominant but it's kind of equal...balto even kisses her and alaska will snap at him to tell him to go away >>> how nice:rolleyes:

soooooooooo who's the dominant one and how did you know....what do they do different?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good question i dont rly no wit my two so maybe sum1 cud tell me blaze is always tryin 2 put his paw on bing which i no is him tryin 2 b dominant but bing wont take any crap from blaze and tells him off alot which is a good thing blaze wont touch bingos food but thats cuz we didnt let him otherwise bing wud just stand there lookin sad while he ate it but bing will eat blazes even if we tell him no and if bing has summin n blaze wants it bing will growl and snap which we dont allow no snappin in this house thank you! but if blaze has something bingo HAS to take it off him not sure what this is tho cuz hes never bothered wit toys till blaze but all he does is steal them then growl and snap at blaze when blaze wants it back :confused:

good question i dont rly no wit my two so maybe sum1 cud tell me blaze is always tryin 2 put his paw on bing which i no is him tryin 2 b dominant but bing wont take any crap from blaze and tells him off alot which is a good thing blaze wont touch bingos food but thats cuz we didnt let him otherwise bing wud just stand there lookin sad while he ate it but bing will eat blazes even if we tell him no and if bing has summin n blaze wants it bing will growl and snap which we dont allow no snappin in this house thank you! but if blaze has something bingo HAS to take it off him not sure what this is tho cuz hes never bothered wit toys till blaze but all he does is steal them then growl and snap at blaze when blaze wants it back :confused:

i think it's bing for now but could become blaze as he gets older, bing is doing the typical things an older dog would do to a puppy >> he's trying to tell him he's the boss (but he's not being very forceful) >> so blaze is trying it on a bit...here's how we knew alaska was the alpha:

she growled and snapped if balto came near her food bowl, toys and treats

she won about 95% of the playfights

she won tug of war 99% of the time

she showed little affection towards him

she would decide when a came started and finished

she could steal his treats

when balto sat on her or put his paw on her she would go fo him and we would have to grab her!!!

we were told by our trainer to feed alaska first while balto sat waiting and then he could eat, he said not to let balto on the sofa for a while (if not never because we kinda have a no dogs on sofa policy) and to let alaska do things first otherwise it can be very distressing for a dog to have a new member of the pack without your dog being bullied by the new dog >>> alaska was really put out and kind of down when balto came and took her a few months to get her spring back >>>> and since they were littermates we had to be careful as they don't always get along.........

so i think you should not let blaze put his paw on bing >> nor alaska or balto are allowed to do this, sometimes it's okay for an older dog to tell a puppy that it's not okay to steal my toys but im allowed to steal yours >> bing's not being mean...he'll give it a rest after a while...he's just making sure that when blaze is really big he's got some control >>>well it's what my trainer said anywhoo lol:rolleyes:

thnx ice ill tell bing not to let him put his paw on him so he growls at his im rly quite surprised sumtimes at how clever they both are lol i dont no who wins most fights i wud say bings but there are times when he will just run off n go to bed cuz hes old he has a bad leg and hes had enough

thnx ice ill tell bing not to let him put his paw on him so he growls at his im rly quite surprised sumtimes at how clever they both are lol i dont no who wins most fights i wud say bings but there are times when he will just run off n go to bed cuz hes old he has a bad leg and hes had enough

o no lol!! you must deff protect bing (poor boy:p).....huskies will try it on all the time... and dominance is established at 8 months fully and then again at 18 months ......awww how old is bing?

aww thnx he looks greyer when u c him then in his pics tho its the stress :P he is a staffy cross whippet he is a softie very loving and very sweet but he can stick up for himself when he needs 2 which is good cuz unfortunately hes had a tough life he was a stray and i think b4 that he was abused even after we got him he seemed like he was a target for bad luck bin attacked by 4 dogs 3 wernt serious attacks but not nice nun the less hes protecive aswell but not viscous with it tho hurt my family and u will have bing to deal with if u no what i mean lol hes my best friend :) id b devastated if anythin happened 2 him or blaze

aww thnx he looks greyer when u c him then in his pics tho its the stress :P he is a staffy cross whippet he is a softie very loving and very sweet but he can stick up for himself when he needs 2 which is good cuz unfortunately hes had a tough life he was a stray and i think b4 that he was abused even after we got him he seemed like he was a target for bad luck bin attacked by 4 dogs 3 wernt serious attacks but not nice nun the less hes protecive aswell but not viscous with it tho hurt my family and u will have bing to deal with if u no what i mean lol hes my best friend :) id b devastated if anythin happened 2 him or blaze

aww that's so sweet and it'sgreat you rescued him and now he can take life easy lool:cool:

I would say Cherry has the most respect from the other dogs, I wouldn't say she is next down the line after me though because my mum and my sister are both higher in the pack. However I also think pack order is fluid and can change depending on where the dogs are (inside, outside etc) and what they are doing etc. I don't try to work it out, I don't pander to what I perceive is the pack order either. When I am giving the dogs a treat, or letting them inside or whatever - it is the first dog to comply with my command (i.e. sit) that gets the reward first.

Although Cherry being the oldest at 10 gets away with more than the other two does, hehe :)

I would say Cherry has the most respect from the other dogs, I wouldn't say she is next down the line after me though because my mum and my sister are both higher in the pack. However I also think pack order is fluid and can change depending on where the dogs are (inside, outside etc) and what they are doing etc. I don't try to work it out, I don't pander to what I perceive is the pack order either. When I am giving the dogs a treat, or letting them inside or whatever - it is the first dog to comply with my command (i.e. sit) that gets the reward first.

Although Cherry being the oldest at 10 gets away with more than the other two does, hehe :)

Cherry is so cute :)

I can agree with that, I think the pack order can change to a different circumstance (i.e. feeding, walks, play, etc). With my 3 (excluding humans) Gizmo seems to be alpha when he is around. When we walk them together Gizmos has to be in front of Marley and Bandit and he tells them off if they do wrong and does not accept being mounted either. Gizmo also holds the most dominant body posture as well and is always first to start howling and remains to be the most alert.

With Marley and Bandit, it Marley who is higher up the line than Bandit indoors (especially at food time) but Bandit is higher up outside as he carries his tail in the air whereas Marley carries his level with his back.