bad eyes....?

how can you tell if an older dog has bad eyes? or is getting them - cataracts ect

my cousin works in a pet shop - now shes no vet but she knows quite alot about animals ect - and said bings looks like he is getting cataracts - now i have noticed his left eye looks A TAD cloudy but i never rly thought anything about it until 2nite thanks to my cousin lol

short of going the vets how can you tell? he doesnt seem like he is having any problems with his sight or anything but now im worrying :rolleyes:

There's not really any other way of telling that I know of other than the clouding of the eyes. I doubt it's anything to be worried about but if you're that concerned then get him to the vets and they'll be able to tell you how bad his eyes are. I'm sure he's fine though, it could just be a bit cloudy with old age, not neccessarily cataracts ;)

i have no money thats the problem not with my bloody card getting scammed n having to cancel it

damn my cousin making me paranoid - i dont THINK it would be anything to worry about just yet as he is in fab health for an old boy - but it would be nice to know what to look out for just incase - now he is getting older

Might not be cataracts, but simply the lens getting a bit cloudy... Fortunately, dogs don't depend on their eyes in the same way we do, so many do just fine with lessened vision. The main thing I noticed with Shad, when his vision started getting a bit worse, was that he was more fearful of coming down the stairs from the upper story. It's a very steep staircase, and not particularly well-lit, and he wasn't enthused when we first moved here, but after a while, certain times of the day more than others, he was more fearful - mainly during the day, when there was some daylight - didn't matter too much if I had the light on, or not. I think that there wasn't as much contrast to show him exactly where the steps were, and he was old enough to be a bit weaker than he was, so he was more afraid of slipping and falling - can't say I blame him! Other than that, the dimmed vision hasn't bothered him much, and he'll be 14 in March.

thanks gigi :) he seems fine getting up and down the stairs - apart from his bad leg slowing him down abit but thats it - guess ill just keep an eye on him n see how we go :)

He should be fine, Nixy, just need a little more TLC as you go along - or at least as he does! As they age, change is inevitable but gradual, and never linear. One day they'll have a really bad day, and a couple of days later they're acting like a puppy again!

thanks ron :)

gigi - hes already spoilt sleeps on my bed everynight head on pillow quilt over him :P lol he does get bullied by skyla tho but try n keep her away from him when shes in the mood - he is currently asleep on my mums bed looking like he is smiling :) hes spoilt n always will be - more n more as he goes on - hes my first dog ever and my best mate :)

thanks ron :)

gigi - hes already spoilt sleeps on my bed everynight head on pillow quilt over him :P lol he does get bullied by skyla tho but try n keep her away from him when shes in the mood - he is currently asleep on my mums bed looking like he is smiling :) hes spoilt n always will be - more n more as he goes on - hes my first dog ever and my best mate :)

biggrin.giftongue.gif I am not at all surprised that you spoil him rotten - good for you! You may just have to do things that make it easier for him, like adjust a routine a bit or make sure a certain area is better lit when he needs to pass through - or help support or even carry him on those days where he's not quite up to it! Things like that.