Gizmo update

As most of you know I was having problems with growing at other dogs and was trying to find a behaviourist.

The other day I found a new area just up the road, I had been walking straight past it all this time :rolleyes: thinking it was someones property - what a t*at!

Anyway HadTuesday off work and so took Gizmo there and then Marley and Bandit. Bearing in mind I hadn't managed to decide which behaviourist yet.

There were hundreds of dogs around which were great! The first dog we met I did what I usually did and suprise suprise Gizmo growled at the other dog. They lady walking the other dog mentioned they had a similar problem with her dog (Bichon Frise - female) but it was alot worse as she would actually attack the dog and latch on somewhere! OMG I thought :eek:! She went to see a behaviourist in Cornwall (where she used to live) and to put it to basics she was told that because she was holding her dog next to her and making it very obvious that she feared the other dog which ultimately made her dog feel the need to "take charge" causing the aggressive dominant behaviour. There was loads more added but that was the main point. She had a few sessions and each session was basically her learning to stay confident and not go holding her dog back and a few socialsation sessions too which made her and her dog a happy pair again.

It was after speaking to this lady that I thought, maybe this is where Im going wrong - Im holding Gizmo back and showing him my fear so he is simply taking control of the situation. So we reached a field full of dogs running around and so I took a deep breath and counted to 10 and didnt hold Gizmo back at all. Started with one or two dogs coming at the same time to Gizmo and he was perfect! Still stood with his tail in the air but there was no growling and he simply went around and sniffed the other dog/s and then want to play with them! Then from 2 dogs coming over we were suddenly surrounded by dogs! Must have been about 5-7 dogs around Gizmo all smelling around and there was no growing at all and after a sniff he wanted to play!

Was so proud of him, yes his stand was still dominant but there was no growling from him or other dogs and as soon as they said hello Gizmo wanted play time!

Thanks Sarah, Nix and Bec :D

Great work Amy! Our confidence definitely makes a difference, the dogs certainly pick up on our fears and in turn it makes them fearful/insecure.

Hopefully you will only see great progress from here on in :)

definately looking into brighter future :) have psychologist assessment at the end of april to help me cope/handle with my emotions, etc which would be good