Lead or harness

Malamute

Interested to hear views on leads against harnesses.

Obviously a harness puts less strain on a dogs neck if he pulls a bit when walking on the lead but equally surely affords him the opportunity to pull even more without becoming even slightly uncomfortable.

I tend to walk Blizzy on the lead rather than his harness and find it much easier as he walks just fine on the lead.

I plan to have him doing weight pulss when he's old enough so he'll obviously be wearing a harness then so I don't want to confuse him by it sometimes being OK to pull when wearing a harness etc etc.

Any thoughts or comments????

I tried a halti harness with Gizmo before, with the intention he would stop pulling but as mentioned many times in other posts thes sort of things are simply tools and unless they are used the correct training program, you will not suceed. Which was my problem as I never used a praining program with Gizmo on this he would simply just pull, pull and pull although it made him easier to handle I never got the outcome I wanted due to not having enough knowledge on it!

Now I use the simple lead and collar and am considering getting a walking belt but not sure yet. Plus as I am looking into getting my boys on the rigs and the bike I would like them to associate the harness with pulling time and the lead as walking time.

we have walking harnesses for the girls....very different to their working harnesses......one of our girls is Houdi and can remove her collar without any problem so I feel they are safer in a walking harness. They know the difference between theior harnesses and are happy to walk nicely in harness when out and about.....get their working harnesses out and its all very exciting for them and howl away! The other concern I have with walking on a collar is the strain to their necks....I also have slightly elasticate leads to take the edge off the jolt just incase!

I use both depending on where I walk them ,they both have learnt that while on collar they walk at the side but when I switch over to the harness they can go upfront and pull which isnt a problem with the walky belt on .I wouldnt like them to be upfront pulling with a collar on

Walking harnesses are different from working harnesses (x-back) mine know the difference ,Kira pulls like a train but Tia walks great dosnt pull at all but as soon as Kira has switched to her collar she walks by ur side ,depends on your dogs and how they are taught really ,I just hate to see a dog pulling with a collar on:)

I just hate to see a dog pulling with a collar on:)

Me too! Especially as walking on a loose leash is something that is up to the owner to teach. I hate when I hear owners opt for a harness over a collar because their dog pulls and it is easier on them... why not just teach them not to pull? lol.

I've never used a working harness as they are expensive and hard to find here, so the only harnesses I have used are normal walking/car harnesses. My dogs get their strength from their chest/shoulders and putting harnesses on them also makes them harder to correct, whereas I find it easier to give a quick leash correction if the dog is doing the wrong thing.

I find I have more control when I have a training collar on than any other tool I've used, that might just be me though :)

Good thread ian, added to rep.

i have both mine on a harness, have tried Kimba many a times on a collar but you can hear him rasping much prefer him on the harness and he doens't pull TOO badly unless he's very excited lol

ummm......what's weight pulling? Not heard of this before?

Good thread ian, added to rep.

i have both mine on a harness, have tried Kimba many a times on a collar but you can hear him rasping much prefer him on the harness and he doens't pull TOO badly unless he's very excited lol

ummm......what's weight pulling? Not heard of this before?

Weight pulling I would say is a little similar to what we do with the weight comps (i.e. when the guys have to lift a certain weight and biggest weight left wins) but with dogs and they have to pull the weight, basically.

Here is a site which explains it: http://www.pulldoggies.com/thejist.htm

Smeagle I v seen people opt for harnesses over collar because their dog pulls a lot ,the woman down the road has a harness that pulls the dogs two front legs up and restricts movement at the chest when it pulls looks like an instrument of torture to me but it dosnt stop her dog from pulling it just gets used to it .Collars are great for training if like your dogs they are under control:D

Smeagle I v seen people opt for harnesses over collar because their dog pulls a lot ,the woman down the road has a harness that pulls the dogs two front legs up and restricts movement at the chest when it pulls looks like an instrument of torture to me but it dosnt stop her dog from pulling it just gets used to it .Collars are great for training if like your dogs they are under control:D

As Amy said earlier a tool is no substitute for training!

I have run into so many beagle owners and a couple of sibe people too who just put up with their dog pulling because they think it's cruel to teach them otherwise, because it 'goes against their instinct' :confused:

I could teach my dogs not to pull on a harness, but it would be a lot more difficult than teaching them not to pull using a training collar! I am lazy and I like to find the best but most efficient way to teach the dog what I want :)

I have RA and dont have much use of my hands so I have to teach the dogs to listen to my commands (not that they listen all the time but it does help )its a funny thing but they know my abilities or disabilities and work with me ,I wouldnt be able to run them on the bike or scooter as I cant use the brakes but both dogs stop when I shout . :D