Names for sibes, how did you come up with yours?

Olympia

I am wondering how you all came up with the names you chose for your sibes:

Olympia was named for MT Olympus from the movie Clash of the Titans {the first movie I saw with Hubby when we were dating}

Hailey was supposed to be after Haley's comet, but that AKC name was already taken so she became Hailey the blaze N blue eyed devil Very fitting by the way lol...

Mariya was named for the song from paint your wagon {a Clint Eastwood flick} The song "They Call the Wind Maria" {Pronounced Mariah in the song.} She howls when she hears the song lmao

Jonah was named from a part of the same song as Mariya "They call the fire Joe "

Luna was named for the moon

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maya was named after a dog in the movie eight below, diesel got his name as brian had a diesel van when got him , Koda as i just liked the name and Tip as she lost the tip of her tail when she was born ( or sometimes we call her stumpy ) lol. But i have looked on the internet for names i.e. native american , indian..etc.

Names...

Blizzy was going to be called Malcolm (the Malamute) but I thought it sounded a bit too geeky (sorry any Malcolm's out there!)

Ended up with Blizzard after I sat looking out at the weather over Healey Dell one day pondering a suitable name.

It;s funny though, his name keeps reverting to "stubborn bloody Mutt" on a daily basis!

I looked up a book of famous siberian huskies and found the name Kira ,Tia came with her name and I just kept it although we all call her Yogi now as she looks and feels like a wee cuddly bear ,I think she now likes this name better even my neighbours call her Yogi so I think its stuck now:D:D

Gizmo's was the easiest! His name was decided before we got him. About a year or so before we decided getting a Husky I always liked the name Gizmo and was a fan of Gremlins that I told jamie whichever dog we get we are having a boy and they shall be called Gizmo ;) so when we went to pick out our new sibe the breeder had 3 boys left (one grey and white and 2 pure white) and she also bought out one white girl (yes I know what everyone is thinking as I keep saying I want a blue eyed white girl :rolleyes:) so I sat on ther floor and over came a little coffe-brown coloured boy with a little hint of grey coming through and that was it - I said this is the one. She asked if we had decided on a name after doing paperwork and we said Gizmo and she was well happy as their little cries remind her of Gizmo's little song from gremlins!

Marley and Bandit was a bit more difficult we had many different names for him and also was only going to get one. But when it came to pick one we ended up choosing two! We used their personality to decide which got what name. Marley (named after Bob Marley) was the most laid back and chilled out and Bandit was the most mischievouis and active one so along came Marley and Bandit and they still live up to their names now.

I was loking through various sites trying to find a name that apealed to me, found Kimba and stuck with me and here is is today lol

Kaiser was more difficult - Marc came up with that one, he wanted to call him Kai but i wanted a 2 syllable name so he decided on kaiser :)

We wanted a Russian sounding name for our husky, my mum wanted to name him after the movie Dr Zhivago... no way was I calling out Zhivago! at the park LOL.... so Micha (pronounced Misha) was it! It is apparently the Russian equivalent of Michael, a good strong male name :D: His pedigree name is Huskytrail Micha Zhivago.

Cherry our chi cross we named so because as a pup she had dark cherry coloured ears :)

And I had a huge list of potential beagle names, but when our breeder sent through photos of the three bitches she had available, they were five weeks of age and as soon as I saw number two I knew she was mine and her name had to be Daisy!! I love naff names for hounds :) Her pedigree name is Semeru Bellis (daisy in Latin).

One day I will own a tri-coloured male beagle and his name will be Burt. I dream his pedgiree name will be *Prefix* Friend of Erny... hehehe

we wrote down a list ov names

blizzard

storm things like that and i quite liked blizzard but mum thought ov blaze and it just stuck also the breeder has a husky called blade which i liked 2 but blaze is close enuf lol and he is a little blazing ball ov fury lol so he suits it 2 a T :P

Well on the train ride to get Alaska >> even though i didn't know which one i was getting (i had a choice of 3:

black and white boy with brown eyes >>he was more greyish

black and white boy with a dark mask >>brown eyes

black and white girl with a white head and blue eyes)

sooo i kinda knew i was going to pick the girl >> i wanted my first dog to be a bitch and she was adorable..

possible names on train ride over lol:

Topaz << because her eyes were such a deep blue (from the pic i saw of her!)

Tolcetna >> after alaska tolcetna ...but everyone hated this name bar me:o

Prince << for one of the boys

Alaska >> just because it fits and i loved the name

Marley >> just read marley and me and loved the name

i had a few more but couldn't remember....

it actually took me a week of owning alaska before i could pick one...it was very close between alaska and topaz but she was deff an alaska and it fitted her mischievous, intelligent and sweet nature ....:rolleyes:

Tala and Mukki are Algonquin for 'wolf' and 'child'.

Lulu was first 'Freckles' because she was a foster and we thought it would help her get adopted and stop people from asking about the spots :-) but when we decided to keep her we wanted to give her a name that made her a part of our tribe -I chose Lulu because she seems kind of silly and it was my great grandmother's name.

Quinn was pretty natural -we love the movie and song and he really acts like he is The Mighty Quinn!

We had another foster -from the same rescue as Lulu -he was a sneaky little shit and 'marked' all the walls and furniture so Rich named him "Sharpie" because he "marks a lot" -the new home loves the name and they kept it and he finally got snipped and has given up living up to his name!

Tala and Mukki are Algonquin for 'wolf' and 'child'.

Lulu was first 'Freckles' because she was a foster and we thought it would help her get adopted and stop people from asking about the spots :-) but when we decided to keep her we wanted to give her a name that made her a part of our tribe -I chose Lulu because she seems kind of silly and it was my great grandmother's name.

Quinn was pretty natural -we love the movie and song and he really acts like he is The Mighty Quinn!

We had another foster -from the same rescue as Lulu -he was a sneaky little shit and 'marked' all the walls and furniture so Rich named him "Sharpie" because he "marks a lot" -the new home loves the name and they kept it and he finally got snipped and has given up living up to his name!

awwww, I like the name Freckles :D sounds cute