Husky and Shih Tzu

Chemgrad08

I have a Shih Tzu now and my husband is about to die to have a husky. We are looking at adopting a 5 year old husky (who has been around cats) from a friend. When we tried through a rescue mission we were denied because of my Shih Tzu. I read that they have a high prey drive, but wanted to get ya'lls opinions :) Is it really as bad as they say...as far as him eating my Shih Tzu?

It's true they have a high prey drive, and I can kind of understand why you would have been denied because of the smaller dog, but at the same time I think it's a perfectly manageable situation. I've just gotten a husky cross puppy, but I have 3 cats, a small parrot, a rabbit, 2 chinchillas, 2 rats and 4 mice (a right little zoo :P ). If she were to get hold of any of those she could easily kill them, even at her young age. You've just got to make sure you teach then how to behave around them and never EVER leave them unsupervised together, that way you won't come back to find...well....one dog :unsure: If you make sure you get a dog that has grown up around small animals and knows how to handle them (it'll need to be a bit more gentle when playing etc) then you should be fine, you'll just have to be extra vigilant.

I don't think your shih Tzu will get eaten, my dogs have been around much smaller dogs but have never attacked them ( it think they know the difference between another dog and say a squirrel), i'd be a bit more worried about the Shih Tzu getting hurt by accident as Huskies do play pretty ruff !!!! as long as theres somebody there to watch them for a few months and maybe keep one caged when you go out i think you should be ok.

Hy'Shqa: Wow lots of small animals!! That makes me feel better :)

Instant-Classic: That sounds like a goo dobservation! My Karleigh loves to run outside, so I think the two would get along fairly well after they got used to each other.

Thanks! I was thinking that the rescue people were doing a little over kill in the situation, but I guess they don't want to be held resposible if something did happen. I understood the high prey drive and why they wouldn't let us adopt....kinda aggrivating. lol. My Karleigh is 6 years old and about 17-20 pounds usually, so she's small, but big for a Shih Tzu. Hopefully this will work out bc I have always wanted a husky too, but got a Shih Tzu at the time bc I was living in an apartment. We now have a house with a 6 foot privacy fence :) We would be able to watch the 2 closely as my husband works nights and I work days, so someone would always be there...his schedule also works out quite well and he gets several days off during the month.

Would you recommend getting a puppy first or an adult dog? I was told that since we have never had one to get an adult bc they first year of their life is horrible as far as chewing and digging goes.

my two have met lots of small dogs, the smallest being two tiny JRTs and were both fine - even my male who doesnt like offlead dogs gave them a sniff then walked off - i think you should ask if you can bring your dog up to meet the husky in a controlled enviroment and see how it goes - if you can

Sounds like a good idea! The lady who has them use to raise them to show, but can no longer do that. She feels bad bc they are just in the backyard getting no exercise or playtime. I run for fitness and my husband hikes, so I know the little man would have fun at our house. Just didn't want him to eat my Karleigh...lol.

If you've never had one before then make sure you get to spend time with some before you adopt/buy one, it'll give you a feel for the breed. I don't think it matters whether you get an adult or puppy, I think you could make either situation work. If you go for an adult you'll need to ensure it's grown up around small dogs/animals so you know it'll be ok with your other dog, and you could always arrange for your current dog to meet any proposed new additions before you commit just to see how things go. If you get a puppy it will grow up with your current dog and with the rules you set, so as long as you're careful and stick to the rules you set you should be fine.

With huskies they're probably always going to chew, the only difference is that adults have much bigger teeth and stronger jaws! My Kiska is proving to be a bit of a chewer, but luckily she's happy to keep it to toys, however it's taken her almost 3 days to get through one raw hide chew! If she were an adult that wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes :P

Thats a great idea if you can take Karleigh to go meet your friends dog for the day or maybe take them all out for a walk together. You really do need to see a Husky playing i'm pretty sure they wouldn't attack your dog as far as seeing it as a snack goes but i do think Karleigh is going to take a few tumbles and knockdowns, i currently have a 14 month old and a 13 week old pup the older one does tend to play a bit ruff with the pup but i think maybe because the pup is a husky too he tends to go back for more, i'm not so sure a shih tzu will want to go back and wrestle so maybe thats a good reason to adopt an older husky ?? I personally don't think a husky pup is any worse than any other pup of similar size but maybe i've just been lucky.

I wouldn't worry,when we 1st brought Marley home he was 14mths old and i had 2 elderly miniature dashies,

he was a little curious but not nasty at all,He used to bat them on the head (gently) to entice play and they just used to look at him as if to say 'you're joking aren't you??' :lol:

mine meets a shih-tzu every day at the park and get on great logan is a little heavy handed with the shih-tzu sometimes but end up on his back most of time. just be careful to start with introduce the husky and see what happens you might find they become best of friends. mine has a very high prey drive but never hurt a dog or cat just birds and mice etc

I don't think the husky would eat the shih tzu... My hysky have been around newborn chihuahua pups..

Sone time i visit a chihuahua breeder (who is one of my good friends) who has 12 chihuahuas.. And Jamie LOVES them.. :) She is very gentle with them when they are fooling around.. :)

Apart from that i have 3 cats my self, and Jamie doesn't eat them.. :) I think you should go for it.. Maybe let your shih tzu meet the husky before you bring it in your house?

Update: We are going next week to look at a husky that someone is getting rid of. However, I put in an application at a local rescue place for a 6 week old Alaskan Malamute. Got an email this morning that they liked our application. Its not quite a husky, so my husband will probably be disappointed :( I feel more at peace rescuing a puppy than getting the other dog from a friend....I feel like I'm saving a life bc the husky from a friend is already in a great home with his buddies.

Update: We are going next week to look at a husky that someone is getting rid of. However, I put in an application at a local rescue place for a 6 week old Alaskan Malamute. Got an email this morning that they liked our application. Its not quite a husky, so my husband will probably be disappointed :( I feel more at peace rescuing a puppy than getting the other dog from a friend....I feel like I'm saving a life bc the husky from a friend is already in a great home with his buddies.

I certainly understand your reasoning for wanting to rescue the pup to save a life but why would you do that if your husband will be disappointed and it's not what both of you want? I really think all parties involved should be completely on board with bringing in any new animal. Truthfully I think puppies have much better chances of finding homes than adult dogs, I can't tell you how many people want a puppy! What will happen with the adult husky that you had considered taking from your friend? Will they keep it? Will they have to give it up to a shelter or rescue if no one takes it? I'm not suggesting you take one over the other but look at all sides of it and you could be saving a life no matter what road you choose. Rescues will be able to place puppies a lot easier than adults so I think rescuing an adult is often better in certain circumstances. I know adults get passed over more than puppies which is why we always make it a point to rescue adult dogs. And I have a husky who lives and gets along with 2 chihuahuas, a quaker parrot, guinea pigs, and cats. I wouldn't be at all worried about a husky with a Shih tzu, just be sure to have them supervised closely at all times.

Agree with Val, mine do just fine with little guys. And it makes it even easier if it's dogs in their own pack (compared to a bunch of random little guys at a dog park.) I think the adult may be better for you and your family as puppies are really nightmares... But it's up to you to make that decision and we'll be happy with pics from either dog, whichever you decide! laugh.gif But keep in mind that Malamutes are significantly larger than a Husky.

Huskyluv: Thanks for the advice. I thought he was after a husky for the way it looks, but I think he just likes the breed. I did talk to him about it and I definitely wouldn't make a decision without him. I guess I was just so excited that we got accepted this time. Last time this same place wouldn't adopt us a husky because of my Shih Tzu :(, but they know whats best. I don't think anything would happen to the adult husky if we don't choose that one, she just feels bad because he's not getting enough attention. He would definitely get the attention he needs at our house...not only having a playmate, but my husband hikes and camps alot and I run....perfect family for a husky :) (well, IMO. lol!) I think the only thing he didn't like about the adult husky is that the owners shaved him for the summer and he's a much lighter color now. My husband wants a dark colored husky, but I'm assuming as the hair grows back it would darken...is that true?...it is with my Shih Tzu.

Arooroomom: lol! I will definitely post pics as soon as we decide!!! An adult dog would probably be best since we are newly weds. Just getting settled in is hard enough. lol. jk!

I think I just wanted a puppy so we could raise it and make it our own and I know the owners of the husky are going to be hurt to let him go. I feel bad in that respect. If I could have both I definitely would!!! I'm so excited about our new addition whichever it may be!! I'm glad I joined the forum! Alot of you have some other smaller pet along with your husky. That definitely makes me feel better about Karleigh! I understand their high prey drive, but those rescue places were making them sound like a horrible murdering breed!

I would not worry about it too much but do agree that you should let them meet before you take the husky home if you do decide to get the older one. Zihnas breeder had Chihuahuas and when I take her to the dog park she much rather plays with the little dogs than the bigger dogs. I am thinking that is due to being around a small breed before we got her. But each dog is different and I have read about husky's that do not get along with smaller dogs. So just to be on the safe side I would make sure they get along and then still supervise them all the time.

If you get the puppy then it should be ok since the pup will grow up around your Shih Tzu

Let us know what you decide and lots and lots of pics!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have my little husky Oakley who is the greatest puppy ever. But my parent have a shih tzu and they love each other we introduced them to each other slowly once they noticed each other scent they became best friends. Also, my in laws have a alasken malmute she is the biggest of the three dogs and we were scared at first to bring Oakley and Morgan ( shih tzu ) around her. But now she acts like both dogs are her own. So it can be done as long as you introduce the dogs correctly there will be no problems. We have left all three dogs out with free run of the house with no problems