A different viewpoint to headcollars, choke chains etc...

I use a head collar on ice are husky with a double lead attached to his collar as he try to get out of the halti. When we talk about a husky pullin you should have your dog under control at all times if allowed to pull if a car came off no where and you couldn't control the dog it wouldn't be a good ending for you, your dog or maybe even the people in the car. I took my husky on a non slip collar he was worse then a normal collar when I'm out on the fields they are on expandle leads but soon as I'm on normal land they go on the halti so I know I can pull them back if needed to even know they know they have to wait near a road.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, why stop thier breed behaviour if you don't have to, like in my case where I have only one to walk and am a strong bloke to be able to handle it. I walk Akin on a harness and always will as I believe its more comfortable for her. I understand that however owners of more sibs and woman might need to use these tools, though ultimately training should be the way to go as you said.

Yer most people can but that is why most people use a head collar to control them all my lot are ok without a headcollar apart from the husky just to make sure he is safe and so am I. I was just wondering where you can get a belt thx

I agree, why stop thier breed behaviour if you don't have to, like in my case where I have only one to walk and am a strong bloke to be able to handle it. I walk Akin on a harness and always will as I believe its more comfortable for her. I understand that however owners of more sibs and woman might need to use these tools, though ultimately training should be the way to go as you said.

but what if something happened to you - heaven forbid - and you couldnt walk him, so somebody else had to walk him for you and they couldnt handle it?

i find it abit offensive that you say women might have 2 use these tools! - just because we are women doesnt mean we cant walk a dog that pulls ;) - i walk two after all - and have walked all 3 of my dogs on my own and still occasionally do.

i just dont see how its safe for them to be able to pull CONSTANTLY , i feel there should be times and places where they can do what they are bred for and then a time where they walk nicely - its much more enjoyable for human AND dog to take a nice country stroll ect without being yanked all over the place

just my opinion

Nix have to disagree there, my guys MUCH prefer to not have stuff round their faces on a walk, grey HATES it, and Kira aint best pleased either ;)

Obviously if you cant physically hold them back then its different, but I can safely hold them, except on sheet ice, and if they were on their headcollars I couldnt clip them round me so its much more dangerous to use a headcollar even then, because Id probably drop them as I fell and they'd be off :(

Christie Im getting mine from SASS, the website is http://www.dogtraininginfo.co.uk/dog-collars.htm its at the bottom

but what if something happened to you - heaven forbid - and you couldnt walk him, so somebody else had to walk him for you and they couldnt handle it?

i find it abit offensive that you say women might have 2 use these tools! - just because we are women doesnt mean we cant walk a dog that pulls ;) - i walk two after all - and have walked all 3 of my dogs on my own and still occasionally do.

i just dont see how its safe for them to be able to pull CONSTANTLY , i feel there should be times and places where they can do what they are bred for and then a time where they walk nicely - its much more enjoyable for human AND dog to take a nice country stroll ect without being yanked all over the place

just my opinion

Amen! Just because I CAN walk 2 or 3 dogs who are pulling, doesn't mean I want to or that it's fun! Respect is a 2 way street - while I need to respect my dogs' needs, they need to have some respect for what I want and need, too! Otherwise, it's a dictatorship, and they're the dictators!

im confused as to which bit u disagree with sid?

do you mean the constantly pulling bit? - for a dog to learn theres a time and a place to pull and not too pull you dont HAVE 2 use a training device - collar, head collar anti pull harness ect , but if you do need to use them (which i do) then why should we be 'frowned upon' so to speak - it doesnt mean we cant control our dogs it just means that we dont want our arms yanked out of the sockets by a dog that rags u about on a walk

i just think that there IS a time and place that a dog should be allowed to pull - even if it is on certain walks - and a place where they shouldnt - like when theres snow and stuff which makes them abit more difficult to walk if they pull and things like that

Amen! Just because I CAN walk 2 or 3 dogs who are pulling, doesn't mean I want to or that it's fun! Respect is a 2 way street - while I need to respect my dogs' needs, they need to have some respect for what I want and need, too! Otherwise, it's a dictatorship, and they're the dictators!

couldnt have put it better myself gigi :) +1

More enjoyable for the dog, my guys seriously dont like wearing them at all :rolleyes: well grey mainly but kira was never that impressed :lol:

No ones frowning on it, if you go back and read my OP you'll see that I did specify that the post wasnt intended to offend or belittle anyone who used them. I dont have a problem with people who do, as I say I have done myself, I was just giving a different opinion/point of view, just to spark a discussion really

No way am i saying that people who do use them are at the root of all evil or anything :lol:

BTW I dont like my arms being yanked either.... 4 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

now id hardly call the relationship between my dogs and me a dictatorship, i say easy, they ease up, i say stop they stop, I say left, they go left etc etc. They still go where I want to and do what I want them to do.

Hardly dictatorship, id probably be dead if it was, with the glares I get when I tell them that no they're not getting any of my dinner! :lol:

no i didnt mean more enjoyable having to wear a head collar - i meant just more enjoyable for a dog to walk nicely without pulling on a walk i kindda went off topic and training tools had nothing to do with that bit of my post lol - i just ment it must be so much nicer for a dog to walk nicely on a walk then straining - wether it be on a collar harness OR anti-pull tool - if you know what i mean (finding it hard to explain lol)

also i know no1 is frowing on it - i just couldnt think of a better word to express what i meant lol :)

now id hardly call the relationship between my dogs and me a dictatorship, i say easy, they ease up, i say stop they stop, I say left, they go left etc etc. They still go where I want to and do what I want them to do.

Hardly dictatorship, id probably be dead if it was, with the glares I get when I tell them that no they're not getting any of my dinner! :lol:

No, I didn't mean to imply that anyone's relationship here was a dictatorship - just that there are many husky owners around who don't set limits for their dogs! You had stated before that yours would listen when you asked them to ease up or stop... My mom, on the other hand, when she had a Siberian (my first exposure in high school) set no limits, and the dog, while nice, ran roughshod over anyone who would allow it! Many Siberians will take over that lead role, given their chance! (And I have to admit that Shad, while he doesn't get everything he wants, does get some of my dinner occasionally!)rolleyes.gif

Just out of interest for those that encourage pulling on a collar; have you tried pressing your hand against your neck?

Now imagine pulling and the constriction getting tighter.

Quite painful in my opinion... They were meant to pull with the right equipment (referring back to my first post), so I think everyone should consider the harm you could do to yourself (your joints/shoulders/backs etc) and your pets (neck based trauma).

Stacey xxx

I dont encourage them, i just dont stop them

we have a walking harness for kira and im gunna see if i can get the same one for grey, and use bungee leads with the belt, not ment to use bungees with collars tho cus of whiplash

Personally I get frustrated when they both pull me. Although Whisper is pretty good with the easy walk harness and almost walks at heel. But when Zihna pulls like an Ox I just want to turn around and go back home. So I agree with Nix that it is more enjoyable if your dogs walk nice and in my case I could walk for hours with them if I am not getting dragged.

I also agree that it can't be enjoyable for the dog to be pulling on a collar or a head collar. That is why I don't use my head collar with Zihna anymore. As of today we are using a no-slip collar (martingale) as I had some success with it this morning using some correction each time she starts pulling. I find them better than the choke chains or prong collars. I hear that the choke chains get their hair tangled in them and well I am not a fan of prong collars period but that is just my opinion although I seen many people that had great success with them. Its just not something I want to use unless I really really had too!

Nix have to disagree there, my guys MUCH prefer to not have stuff round their faces on a walk, grey HATES it, and Kira aint best pleased either ;)

And there is a reason why I have a strong dislike of head collars and would never use them myself. Lots of dogs find simply wearing them aversive, though I do know that you can train the dog to offer putting the head collar on and desensitizing them to it, it can take weeks which most owners won't be bothered doing. If the dog hates wearing it that much, why use it at all? There are many tools you can use to train loose leash walking if you really want to that are far easier to use and far better for the dog too.

JMO - but pulling on the leash is not respectful. Working in harness is an entirely different thing.

When I want them to pull... They go into their X-backs and I get a lovely drive down the road in my rollerblades. When I don't, they walk nicely on collars and usually end up by my side (in a nice little row, it's very cute) by about halfway through the walk. Tools are meant to be training aids, not permanent solutions. If the dog reverts back to pulling when the head collar comes off... there's an issue with communication that needs to be fixed.

If it works for you Sid, that's great. But I don't think pulling on the leash is appropriate at all. Pulling on the harness is a totally different thing.

• 3 weeks later...