A different viewpoint to headcollars, choke chains etc...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally wouldnt trust a plastic buckle, but it depends on how much your dog pulls, have you got a harness?? You could attach a lead to his collar and one to his harness so that if the collar does break you still have hold of him

my half check has a plastic side release and my male - who pulls like a tank - is a fine on it, if you are worried tho i would do what sid suggests and get a double ended training lead - you can get them from p@h http://www.petsathome.com/shop/control-training-lead-for-dogs-by-pets-at-home-14421

We just use a harness for Glala and Dana. Either the don't pull that hard or I'm really used to it, because I really don't mind. In fact, I usually have to pull THEM to keep them going (am I really the only one who needs to do that?:blink:). But in some cases they can pull really hard (for example last week, when there was lots of snow) and sometimes I call them to slow down a bit, but I really don't feel the need to prevent it. They are huskies, they are designed to pull and as long as it's not harmful for both of us than I just let them do that. But it may just depend on each husky's temperament as well. That's also probably why their is no definitive answer if you should headcollars and such. It all depends on the husky itself (and of course, of the opinion of the owner).

We have Echo and Daughtry on normal leads (cos the loose lead training is really starting to work well, and for the most part walk nicely)

However we have Darwin on a Police lead one end on his Halti and the other on his semi slip collar.

Darwin "face surfs" and can occasionally rub the Halti off. At which point he tries to "leg it" lol.

Police training lead absolutely invaluable. biggrin.gif

I use police leads too Andy, tho I clip them around my waist and the other end to their collars

Thing is tho its only an inch or so wide so when I have both of them round my waist they get quite uncomfortable :( Which is why I cant wait to get my belt!

So much safer (IMO) than holding the leads tho, cus I cant drop them and they cant wrench them out of my hands :)

I use police leads too Andy, tho I clip them around my waist and the other end to their collars

I . . .erm. . am perhaps a little too. . ahem. . . erm . . portly ?

to clip the lead around my waist. ohmy.gifohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Well I figure I will try the half slip with a buckle however I have another problem... I know how to get it on him but I don't know how to get him to stay still to get the metal choke collar off which is gonna require some tugging and then put the new one on... he won't stay still! If the only way to do it is to train him to stay absolutely still every time I get his lead then I won't be changing his collar for a loonnng time! lol

Yes but he gets excited anytime I he hears a chain and the new collar being a half slip has chain so he assumes it is his lead (which is a chain)... but also the only time he doesn't fidget when I touch his collar he has on is if he is doing something else like having a treat or sitting still outside... put simply he gets too excited! I have a harness for him as well but he lifts up his paws but ends up pushing it away (which is clearly not what he is trying to do) and then he starts biting the harness straps! so it seems like a real mission!!!

We used to use a harness, but then my wife got in a bad car accident. Now she cant have him pull at all, so he goes on a gentle leader.That said, in ir obedience classes we got him to walk politely. It's not 100% effective, but when we are actively trying, we can get him to loose leash.

Yes but he gets excited anytime I he hears a chain and the new collar being a half slip has chain so he assumes it is his lead (which is a chain)... but also the only time he doesn't fidget when I touch his collar he has on is if he is doing something else like having a treat or sitting still outside... put simply he gets too excited! I have a harness for him as well but he lifts up his paws but ends up pushing it away (which is clearly not what he is trying to do) and then he starts biting the harness straps! so it seems like a real mission!!!

It really should not take him that long to get calm. When you try to take his collar off, each time he gets excited stop immediately what you are doing, turn your back and cross your arms and ignore him. Be as boring as you can be. When he calms down then continue, if he gets excited do it all over. Not saying it will work right away but within about a few minutes you should see results, may take a bit longer for him to be able to stay calm long enough so you can take it off.

The other solution would be: Take his Kong....fill it with peanut butter.....put in freezer overnight.....give to him and take the collar off. :lol:

Also what you can do if you like....take the leash throughout the day and just move it around. Like take it from where you keep it and carry it to the kitchen table and put it down. Or hang it around your neck and carry it around for a while. After a few days of doing that the leash will not be so exciting anymore and he will not go nuts each time he hears it.

Hope that helps. In your case I would go with the Kong and peanut butter for now and work on the other stuff over time. ;) Good luck!!! Let us know if that worked.

Think about this, Sibes are bred to PULL, its in their genes, its hardwired into them, over hundreds of years, everything about them is designed to run and pull, its the whole reason they exist. So why stop them from doing it? You wouldnt stop a golden retriever or a lab from playing fetch would you?? Or a beagle from sniffing? So why do people purposely make it uncomfortable or impossible for their husky to pull....

If you done any research on the breed before bringing a husky home, you would have known that they pull, if you dont want a dog that pulls, why did you still bring that dog home?? If you wanted a dog that will happily walk to heel, you should have got a staffy

I don't see how it would be comfortable for a dog to pull when simply being walked down the street?

I don't stop my scent hound from scenting all the time, but she also knows there are times when scenting isn't what I've asked her to do, so she doesn't do it. You don't let a lab retrieve things all day long whenever it wants to, or let border collies herd everything in sight, do you? No - then why let your Siberian pull all the time? Why allow your dog to control when it wants to do anything especially something high value? It would be like allowing a child to have MacDonalds whenever it asked for it.

I don't want any dog that pulls on the leash when I am taking it for a walk, regardless of its breed. I meet plenty of staffords, GSDs, border collies, labs, goldies etc who pull their owners arms out of their sockets whilst on a walk, It is by far one of the most common behaviour problems we see today. Siberians don't pull on the leash because they were "bred to pull", they pull on the leash for the same reason every other dog does - because we've taught them pulling is how to get where they want to go.

Headcollars, haltis, no pull harnesses etc do not train a husky not to pull, they will still pull the moment you take it off, so whats the point??

That's poor training, and poor use of the tool. My dogs walk on a loose leash on a simple flat or martingale collar. If you were using the tool properly, eventually the dog could walk nicely without it.

Imagine how confusing it must be for them, their body and mind are telling them to run and pull and do their job, and their met with an uncomfortable band around their nose, or their choked on their collar, and told off for trying to do what they are bred to do.....

There are many things I don't allow my dogs to do when their instincts would normally get them to act otherwise. Chasing cats, running across the road to follow a scent, fencing them in my property when they would like to roam etc. Giving my dogs rules and boundaries and good leadership is part of how I build a good relationship with them. My dogs are happy to walk on a loose leash, because they've found that is how to get what they want, but pulling will get them no where. If Siberians pulled on the leash because of their "instinct to run", then how do you explain why almost any other dog on the planet will pull on the leash unless taught otherwise?

Following your logic, we'd allow our dogs to do whatever they wanted whenever they wanted so they could "follow their instinct" without any restrictions from us.

I'm very predictable like that ;)

I just think of how unpleasant I find walking dogs that pull on the leash. No thanks :) Your scent hound comment really made me laugh (in a good way!) - because I get that all the time. Although that's before anyone actually sees my scent hound working ;)

I rocked up to obedience club the other night with Micha my Siberian and someone actually looked at him and went "Oh, I wouldn't bother with one of those!". I just laughed and told her he's far easier to handle than my scent hound who will go out and beat border collies, GSDs, labs and Golden Retrievers in the obedience ring ;)

yea thats why I use the lead around my waist, the can really hurt my arms, but then I cant complain, I have taught them to pull as hard as they can!! Really looking forward to getting my belt :lol:

They calm down after about 20 minutes or so then will walk in front but not be intent on pulling :) TBH it tires them out more too, I think because it makes me move quicker and they have more room to sniff aswell

It really should not take him that long to get calm. When you try to take his collar off, each time he gets excited stop immediately what you are doing, turn your back and cross your arms and ignore him. Be as boring as you can be. When he calms down then continue, if he gets excited do it all over. Not saying it will work right away but within about a few minutes you should see results, may take a bit longer for him to be able to stay calm long enough so you can take it off.

The other solution would be: Take his Kong....fill it with peanut butter.....put in freezer overnight.....give to him and take the collar off. :lol:

Also what you can do if you like....take the leash throughout the day and just move it around. Like take it from where you keep it and carry it to the kitchen table and put it down. Or hang it around your neck and carry it around for a while. After a few days of doing that the leash will not be so exciting anymore and he will not go nuts each time he hears it.

Hope that helps. In your case I would go with the Kong and peanut butter for now and work on the other stuff over time. ;) Good luck!!! Let us know if that worked.

Great strategy...I've heard this one before on here and it does seem to work. Andy came to us trained to sit before getting his leash/collar on for a walk. We have attempted the same with Jackson, and initially it worked, then it got to the point where he is so excited about going out, he just circles and woos, and Andy comes in between me and Jackson and is more than willing to put on another collar! Too funny.

His walking collar should not be on all the time, only for walks. Mine both wear a rolled leather collar with tags, and then a semi-slip for walks. No chains involved, so I'm not sure what kind of semi slip is being spoken about. This is a link to one similar to what we have...Martingale collarand it was about the same cost. It's adjustable so when they pull it tightens to only a certain point, and if there's no pulling, then it fits comfortably with a two finger space between neck and collar as suggested. Good luck, hopefully it will get easier.

Whenever I have to do something to mine and they wont hold still I stand with a leg either side of the main trunk of thei body and squeeze gentley just enough to keep them holding still in one place, it works for everything from brushing (my girl really doesnt like being brushed) to fiddling with leads/collars etc! :) Give it a go hope it helps!

Great strategy...I've heard this one before on here and it does seem to work. Andy came to us trained to sit before getting his leash/collar on for a walk. We have attempted the same with Jackson, and initially it worked, then it got to the point where he is so excited about going out, he just circles and woos, and Andy comes in between me and Jackson and is more than willing to put on another collar! Too funny.

His walking collar should not be on all the time, only for walks. Mine both wear a rolled leather collar with tags, and then a semi-slip for walks. No chains involved, so I'm not sure what kind of semi slip is being spoken about. This is a link to one similar to what we have...Martingale collarand it was about the same cost. It's adjustable so when they pull it tightens to only a certain point, and if there's no pulling, then it fits comfortably with a two finger space between neck and collar as suggested. Good luck, hopefully it will get easier.

thats not a semi slip thats a half check, a semi slip looks like this collars%20&%20packs%20001.jpg

and I think this is what spinstorm has 319LpDU3e8L.jpg

:)

I think the name is not as important as the function. They can't slip out of them, and they only tighten to the adjustment we make them. The link called it a martingale, and I do know they use them often on greyhounds since they have such slim necks and "slip" out of their collars. I think the tag on it actually called it a "limited slip", but like I said, it's the function that is important!

yea thats why I use the lead around my waist, the can really hurt my arms, but then I cant complain, I have taught them to pull as hard as they can!! Really looking forward to getting my belt :lol:

They calm down after about 20 minutes or so then will walk in front but not be intent on pulling :) TBH it tires them out more too, I think because it makes me move quicker and they have more room to sniff aswell

But just because you've taught them to pull as hard as you can for sledding (I assume?) that doesn't mean they need to do it all the time. I've taught my scent hound specific scent exercises where she needs to use her nose, but that doesn't mean she scents all the time above all else or above any other command I've given her. A good training program will utilise your dogs instinct, harness it, and teach the dog to control it. If the dog is in control of their instinct and essentially does whatever they want, that means you don't have any real control or leadership.

Plenty of Siberians walk nicely on a loose leash for walks and showing, but know to work when in harness. Dogs aren't silly... they understand different contexts and commands.

I'd be tired if I spent all of my energy pulling like a steam train too ;)

they do know when to behave, if we're walking alongside a road/through town etc i can get them to stay calm and closer to me, I dont let them pull out front all the time, they have too much lead then and id be scared they'd try and cross the road or something!!

Its just for 'their' walks, the ones where i take them out just so they can have fun and tire themselves out, they can pull to their hearts content :lol:

they know the difference between walking on a lead and working, I ment I cant complain about how strong they are, not that they pull :)