What and how much to feed 1 year old?

I have been reading all the information in this thread and frankly i'm confused!

Before I got Flash (my dog) he was on a 3 times a day feed cycle. All dry food biscuity stuff for large dogs made by one of the well known brands.

He would be fed at 11am, 4pm and 8pm roughly. I wasn't feeding him so these are estimates. And he would be given treats during the day.

Now he has moved house he doesn't seem to want to eat the dry food. He did eat some at around 4pm that I had left from earlier that he didn't eat but wouldn't eat it as dinner. I gave him some pedigree meaty chunks about 150g and he loved that.

Those seemed to suggest on the packaging that smaller dogs eat more than a husky which confused me....

On another thread I mentioned this and it was suggested to have chicken wings but ill be honest I don't know how much and how often.

I suppose what I'd like to give him is dry food for breakfast and lunch and then a nice tasty dinner but he will probably not eat the dry food.

So really I need to know what to feed him and how much and when as I'm totally confused. Thanks.

Well, you are not alone. I too was confused about how much to feed Zoya at one point. Huskies don't normally require as much food as other breeds, nor as much as indicated on dog food labels. Two meals a day, for a one year old Husky would be adequate. But three is fine. The key is to allow only so much food per day, not per meal. For example, we feed Zoya one cup per meal and feed her twice a day. If we were to feed her three times per day, she would still only get two cups per day, not three. So the amount per meal for three meals per day would be a bit less than she would get per meal if only fed two meals per day.

Huskies can also become bored with what they are eating. We rotate Zoya on Taste of the Wild (also available in the UK) between High Prairie, Pacific Stream, and Wetlands formulas. We buy a 30 pound bag of one formula. When that is depleted, we next get a 30 pound bag of a different formula.

Huskies can also be picky eaters. So, if they won't eat their food within ten minutes or so, pick it up, and don't feed them until the next scheduled feeding. When they get hungry, they'll eat. It won't hurt them at all to skip meals for a day if they won't eat.

Another important note; a "well known brand" is not an indication the food is well balanced, or made with good ingredients. Take a look at the label. If the food contains corn (or maize), wheat, soy, or by-products, look for a food that is free of those ingredients. You want a food made with named meat or named meat meal. Rice (but not brewers rice) and barley are grains that are fine.

I can tell you really care about him in your posts :)

Here is something you can do. First of all it is very unlikely that he will overeat. Husky's usually only eat as much as they need, therefore every now and then they may skip a meal. Now are you feeding him the same kind of food he has been getting and did he eat that just fine at your (was it your) dads house? He may just miss his old surrounding.

Since you said he loves the wet food what I would do is mix some of the wet food with the dry food and offer it to him. That is what I do. Zihna is not to crazy about the dry food either and will only eat it if she is really really hungry, but when I mix in a bit of wet food she eats it just fine and licks the bowl afterward :lol:. So just play around with the measurement. I usually feed my chow mix about 1 cup full of dry food and mix in about 2 big spoons full of wet food twice a day. But he is overweight so he gets a bit less than a normal dog. Since you feed him 3 times a day I would try like 1 cup of dry food per feeding and then maybe split a can of wet food over the 3 feedings and mix it in. 1 cup of my dry food is about 100g. So I think to start out with about 100g per feeding mixed with some wet food should be ok. Then you can see how much he will eat and increase or decrease the amount.

Huskies naturally don't eat very much food. (I said this on another thread also) Siberian huskies are the only dog breed that can control their metabolism. They can change their metabolism according to their level of exercise and whether or not they need to burn more or less calories.

Was your husky very active before he came to you?? Is he not as active now?? He may have changed his metabolism so he doesn't burn as many calories and there for, doesn't need as much food.

You may be feeding him to much food. How much are you feeding him at each meal?? Try cutting back on his food at each meal and see how he does.

Some dogs are also self regulating. They will only eat what they need.

Do you know how much he weighs??

If he isn't dropping weight, then its ok if he skips a meal or 2. :)

I also found with some of my dogs is when i first got them, they weren't really interested in food for the first few days after their arrival. After they got to know me and got used to my routine though, they started eating regularly. :)

Hi Spin-

Yes - it can be confusing as you can see- there are alot of different feeding schedules, types of food and opinions.

However, there are some basic guidlines you can follow-

If your dog is under a year, he should be on a protien or "puppy chow" mix either twice or 3 times a day depending on activity.

If he is over a year, you can feed him twice a day although he would get along just fine with once in the evening.

Whatever you do with that (once or twice) be sure it is at the same iome each day as that willkeep his bowels consistant.

On the type- their are a lot of "Opinions" and some people feel strongly and will swear by what they feed, but it won't matter what type you

chose as much as the quantity and time consistancies.

I have dogs that have been picky and turn their nose up at dry food but if you set it out, leave it for a set time, and pick it up,

they WILL eat what they need. Do not let them suck you in to the people treats and off schedule feedings. (cause they"ll try)

A dig between 1 & 2 that is say 40-45 lbs. and is a basic house dog, meaning he's not running 3 miles twice a day, will eat between 2-3 cups or

maybe 2-4 cups-

If you put out 3 cups, once a day in the evening, and he eats it all, then that is you guidline. Then keep and eye on him to see if there is any weight

gain or loss. Let that be your guide.

Usualyy )not always) Huskys will not over eat on dry, but will on raw.

Whatever you decide, just keep it consistant.

Bout the not eating.. its a new house so he is probably a little confused, and hes a husky so he will try to push the boundaries and see what he can get from you thats different! Like the others have said stick to the schedual put it down for ten munites and if its not gone pick it up and dont feed any treats till the next feed. Keep at what your doing, huskies are stubborn but their not stupid they wont starve themselves!

Personally I think the schedule that Zihana laid out makes most sense! :)

some good advice posted here, +1 to all those with hints & tips. It can be very confusing & every post here is from experience of husky owners, not food manufacturers :rolleyes: but it can be a bit trial & error with them. My 2 eat totally differently, Diesel will eat the whole bowlful every meal (no surprise there then!) but Myshka is fussy & will skip meals herself, no matter what I put down. But don't worry too much about it, you & Flash will soon find a food & feeding regime that works ;)

Oh, and +1. Spin for asking, we may have lots of info on here but you're right, it can be confusing

And since Val mentioned that I remembered that Zihna will also eat more in the evening then in the mornings. Sometimes she will just pick around in her food a bit but later on that day she will gobble it all down. Also like Val said, just do some trial and error and you will find a way that works best for both of you.

And if he does not eat the mix of wet food and dry food you can store it in the fridge for the next feeding. ;)

Our Daughtry is a few weeks over one year old.

She is fed twice per day.

Morning 3-4 RAW chicken wings (dependant on size)

Yes with bones (great source of calcium)

Evening 3/4 cup of Autarky Kibble (from Jolleys) and 1/2 tub of Natures Diet wet meat (Pets at Home)

(you can substitute whatever Kibble and tinned meat you use if he's happy with it.

She's healthy and happy, plenty of energy. biggrin.gif

There's really no rule that they have to be fed twice a day. I feed my dogs once a day for the raw fed ones and the kibble eaters. I feed about 2 cups of Taste of the Wild and 3-4 chicken wings to Cheyenne. The others get their raw portion. I do 2.5% of their body weight daily. But the best indicator is your own dog! Is he a little on the heftier side? Or on the skinnier side? Adjust the food accordingly. Cheyenne is such a skinny thing (always has been) and that's why I really try to pump up her food, but the crazy little thing just burns it all off...

In all honestly it's better for them to be on the skinnier side. All of my dogs i'm able to feel their ribs when pressure is applied. But they don't show (best way to tell is when they're wet.)