10 Week Old Puppy Nipping/Biting

This is my first post on the forum but I have been reading it for a while preparing for my new puppy. I have a 10 week old red and white named Paisley. I have had her for 2 weeks and my wife and I love her to death. She is being crate trained and doing a good job so far. Her potty training is coming a long very well thanks to the crate. She hasnt pooped in the house in about 5 days and just has occational pee accidents due to her small blatter im sure. She doesnt really like to go into her crate on her own yet but she is definalty getting more comfortable inside. Paisley is also crying less at night and almost making it through the night without having be let out to go the bathroom. She is making amazing progress.

The only trouble my wife and I are having it with her nipping at us. We have been using the spray for furniture chewing and it worked immediately so that is no longer a big problem. Sometimes when we're sitting together or petting her it is definalty just mouthing and is no big deal. But when she gets a excited or a boost of energy she starts nipping and its hard to stop it. If she gets ahold of a pant leg its as good as ripped. We have tried most everything I have read about such as, saying "NO" firmly, grabbing her lower jow, shaking a can of pennies and saying "NO" or "EHHH" and leaving the room but nothing seems to tell her biting = bad. She has shown so much improvement in other areas but the this is one thing we would like to get control of. She would be an angel if she wasnt biting. I also understand that she is an immature, teething puppy but she still must learn not to nip at us.

We have signed her up for puppy training classes which starts right after the holidays but we want to make sure we are still actively training. If anyone has experienced the same issues I would love to hear more ideas on how to correct this behavior. Any and all info is welcomed! Thank you!

P.S. Paisley just played in her first snow and it was probably the happiest I have ever seen a puppy!!

keep doing what are doing.....its all good...

just say ouch really loud and leave, she will get the hang of it..

she is still a puppy and will want to play, nipping could be to intiate a game....so give her a chew toy or something to bite...

oh and lots of pix

welcome to the pack

what i would do is stick to one method of training as changing it is going to confuse her - with our male pup he got a firm no and a tap on the nose and it took about a month

with our female - we got at 14 weeks so took abit longer but with her all we had to do is give her a firm AHAH and she stopped eventually

also when one of them licked us we would say 'give kisses' so when one of them nipped we would say NO or AHAH and then say give kisses which turned the nipping into licking at so they got praise

just keep it up it might take a while but you will get there in the end :)

cant wait to see some pics :)

Yep just gunna echo what Kells said really, nippying is a typical puppy behaviour that they aaaall go through so your not alone. What I would say is pick one method that you found succesful and stick with that, doing too many different things might just confuse her. Pick one stick at it, out stubborn the stubborn husky and your golden! :D Also she wont be teething just yet thats usually around 4 months old and whe she does mouth then re-direct her, give her a nice cold carrot or a frozen tea towl to sooth her gums. :)

Thank you everyone so far on the information. We are going to continue to stick to the same training method for this and realize results aren't immediate. She has been wonderful today so far after her walk and playing in the snow. The exercise wore her out. This site is so helpful and can't wait to continue to post![ATTACH]7145.IPB[/ATTACH]

She is very very cute... I have a concern with Flash - today he has been nipping at me - one time at my hands when he was excited and once at my arm... he did actually bite my arm but he obviously knows not to bite hard as I didn't really feel anything although he did make contact! He seems to be doing this when he is in the living room which is very hard to correct as he won't volunterily leave the lounge... I have to either entice him out with a toy or treat which takes ages... or walk him back on his lead. I get the impression that by the time I get him out he won't have realised the connection between the biting and leaving... any tips? Thanks.

To be honest, Saber used to nip/bite a lot when he was a pup and i used to search endlessly for way to get him to stop. I followed advice that everyone here suggested and i never used to see any change.

But now he's 12 months old he hardly does it at all. He likes to hold onto your hands/fingers when your playing with him or wrestling but it's never with any pressure or enough force to draw blood. Sometimes he may nip at hands to get attention i.e for someone to open the door to let him out or when he wants to go walkies.

The best advice is just be patient and consistent, don't try to stop them from biting but teach them bite inhibition. Whenever they bite with too much pressure stop and correct them and eventually you'll notice they just stop doing it all together.

Tom