Just got a new pup! some questions

BrandNew

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All in all the night went pretty well. Around 10:30 she decided to go to sleep and went in her crate on her own. At midnight I called it a night and closed the crate door and went to bed in the same room as her. She woke me up around 2 with her whining and I took her out. She peed, we came back in, and into the crate she went.

Then she started whining and howling a little. I watched her howl and I have to say it is sad but it's also beautiful. I was very tempted to let her out so I could sleep in peace but I also know she needs to know the rules. By 2:30 she finally stopped and went to sleep much to my delight.

At 6 she woke me up again and we went right out. This time she pooped and I was very happy to see that. We came back in and the same thing happened. She cried for about 20 minutes and then went to sleep. At 8 she woke me up again and I figured that she's used to being awake early in the morning. I'm pretty lazy and when I don't have school I can sleep until noon or later. I let her lay with me for a little and then at 9 we started our day.

Overall, I'd say the night went well. I would have liked her not to whine so much but that's to be expected for now... I hope.

when i first got Tikaani she was crated by the side of my bed... and after few days moved the crate nearer bedroom door and then again few days later further again... untill she was then out of room.... and eventually downstairs..

one thing i found was to cover her cage with a sheet or something that seemed to help settle her fairly easily..

My family got a beautiful 8 week old Siberian Husky puppy yesterday and I'm in need of some help.

She seems to have a grasp of needing to go outside to pee and poop but she's used to being able to go outside at her own will. Therefore, she's always whining at the door to go out, but only 1/3 of the time does she actually relieve herself.

We are trying to crate train her. It seemed great yesterday as she was voluntarily going in and napping. And then at night I took her out, she peed and pooped, and then I brought her in and put her in the crate to sleep. After about an hour she started howling bloody murder and I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to let her out because she needs to get used to the crate and I assumed she didn't have to go out because she went right before bed. two hours later at about 2 a.m. she was still going nuts so i caved in. She ran out and immediately pooped on the floor, so that might explain the crying. I took her out and she peed then I brought her in and laid with her on the couch until 6 a.m.

Finally I couldn't stay awake any longer and put her in her crate. I woke up to her howling around 11 a.m. and took her out. We stayed out for a half hour and she didn't do anything. So now we're on the couch.

The two biggest challenges right now seem to be night time and going outside. How should I try to work on these issues?

Firstly, welcome on board :)

Congratulations on your new puppy!

As a puppy they are unable to control their bladder rhythms properly and so need to go outside more often than an adult dog for the toilet. She may also want to go outside to play, is she allowed on walks yet? If she is she may be crying at the door to go for a walk, if she cant go for walks yet she may just want you go and play outside with her.

With the crate training, is she crying as soon as it gets light? Marley and Bandit will wake up as soon as it starts getting light and so does Gizmo. As for the crying during the night, sounds like she is telling you she needs the toilet, most dogs/puppies do not like messing in their bed area. Try taking her outside an hour after she eats and drinks for the toilet and see if this helps her.

Keep us updates, hope all goes well