Just got a new pup! some questions

BrandNew

My family got a beautiful 8 week old Siberian Husky puppy yesterday and I'm in need of some help.

She seems to have a grasp of needing to go outside to pee and poop but she's used to being able to go outside at her own will. Therefore, she's always whining at the door to go out, but only 1/3 of the time does she actually relieve herself.

We are trying to crate train her. It seemed great yesterday as she was voluntarily going in and napping. And then at night I took her out, she peed and pooped, and then I brought her in and put her in the crate to sleep. After about an hour she started howling bloody murder and I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to let her out because she needs to get used to the crate and I assumed she didn't have to go out because she went right before bed. two hours later at about 2 a.m. she was still going nuts so i caved in. She ran out and immediately pooped on the floor, so that might explain the crying. I took her out and she peed then I brought her in and laid with her on the couch until 6 a.m.

Finally I couldn't stay awake any longer and put her in her crate. I woke up to her howling around 11 a.m. and took her out. We stayed out for a half hour and she didn't do anything. So now we're on the couch.

The two biggest challenges right now seem to be night time and going outside. How should I try to work on these issues?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the forum! Congrats on adding a sibe to your family! Is your puppy the only dog you have? Sibes are pack animals and can mecome distressed iof left alone for long periods of time. When we got our 1st sibe we attempted to leave her down stairs and she howled and cried constantly........needless to say we caved and she ended up crated in our room at night so she didnt cry at being alone.......if you want your pup to stay downsatirs u will have to persist and put up with the crying till they get used to it! It may be advisable to crate by your bedroom door so your pup knows u are close by and gradually increase the distance from u! Give your pup time to settle, its all new to her and she's only just left her mum, and litter brothers and sisters! Sounds like she's doing really well with toiletting already, but as a general rule of thumb put her out at regular intervals, and always after feeding, after a dri nk and as soon as she wakes up! She will sonn learn that outside is the place to do her buisness....dont forget plenty of praise when she gets it right!

Hope this helps you, best of luck!

like lucy says i wud put the crate in your room to start off with and gradually increase the distance and also let her out about an hour after feeding drinkin playing sleeping ect hope this helps

welcome to the site congrats on ur 1st sibe :) u wnt regret it! look 4ward 2 gettin to no u and seein pics ov ur pup :)

Check out this page:

http://www.sibrescue.com/crate-training.html

It has quite a bit of good information regarding crate training. I think your pup is on the right track, but nerves played a big role in its first night away from siblings. Don't give up!

While my boy is not crated at night anymore, we still use it when traveling or camping.

It never occured to me that she could have been upset because she was alone. I just thought she was sad because she was confined to her crate. I will try sleeping in the room with the crate and see if it helps quell the whining.

Another thing is... she constantly wants to go outside. For example I just took her out, she peed and I rewarded her, and then she played for about a half hour. Now we're back in and she's crying at the door. I know I should let her out when she does this but I also want her to know that going outside means going to the bathroom.

All in all, thanks for the help. This is not my first sibe actually. I had an adult one a year ago but this is my first time with a pup.

Hi, welcome to the forum and congrats on being owned by a sibe :)

Great posts by Lusy and Austinville - added to rep.

With the crying at the door, yes, they do have small bladders and will need to relieve after playing, eating, drinking and sleeping, but don't let her rule you, if she yaps at the door after just being out - don't give in, wait until she is not asking to go out THEN take her outside, that way she will learn yapping won't give her her own way each time :)

It's not easy, I remember when i got Kimba the first week was a nightmare but you will get through it :)

If you need a rant or just advice, we're always around and like Nix (bingnblaze) says - look forward to seeing your pictures :)

let us no how it goes the first week or two will b the hardest like sarah says tho if she whines to go out after just being out then w8 till shes quite that way she will learn that whining gets her no where blaze is almost the same as that when hes just bin out (in the garden or for a walk) he will wanna go straight out again we let him out as he prefers bein outside in the cool but he doesnt whine to go out he will just sit at the door and wait

Hi there,

I had the same issues with Chewie when we fist got him home. He wanted to "GO" outside so that was reasonably easy. the trouble was that he howled so bad, that nobody was sleeping that first night.

I did what alot of others did. I put the crate in my room next to my side of the bed, and I also placed a sheet over the kennel.

If simply moving her doesnt work well enough, the other thing you can do is...dont give her any food or water after 7PM. When you take her out to "go" put her leash on and pick a spot. go to that same spot every single time. Take her out within 20 minutes after naps, feeding and playing...

I have had very few accidents in the house with chewie because I do leash and crate training. This means he doesnt free roam the house so I usually know if he has to "GO."

The blanket over the crate often makes it a bit quieter and warmer, so it helps them relax.

It is a good thing that she lets you know that she has to go potty...so use it well...lol. Take her out at night when she is letting you know she has to go...and dont make it a rush job...if 10 minutes isnt enough then wait 2 more. Some huskies just like to take their time...lol.

Hi and welcome...we were extremely lucky that eika was fully house trained (altho she did poop in the house today, our fault not hers...!) but she has to go pee every 30 mins, but then sometimes she can go much much longer! She just sits next to the door and waits, or if we don't get there quick enough...goes on the floor!

look forward to seeing pictures!

Oh, I also thought of something else I began to do with Chewie that will DEF help you alot!

With Chewie he needed bonding and exercise so he could relax and sleep. He is not the first husky I have had that must have this every day.

If you are hoping to calm her down...

please find yourself a kind of toy that she will play with you with. Ropes, Tennis balls, disks, anything she likes enough to play for 10 to 15 minutes.

You should try to do 2 sessions of play and exercise. 1 at mid day, if you can....and one about an hour or even 30 minutes before you crate her for the night.

It is ok if she wont bring the ball back, sit sideways to her and make soft noise to get her closer to you.

My advice is try the ROPE...huskies are great at tug-o-war, and will play until the human passes out if you let them...lol.

anyway...play actively for at least 15 minutes 2 times a day...it will help her relax.

Congrats on the new puppy! We are raising our first from birth and it is an adventure to be sure!

It makes sense that she might miss her Mom and siblings, I've heard that a stuffed toy can help. Quinn was a singleton and would cry when his Mom went to play with our other two. I tried getting him a toy and he did snuggle up to it but his Mom would find it and shred it to bits! LOL

We have no close neighbors -so know one saw me making a big fuss over Quinn's house training. We would get all excited and hug him. Until just a few weeks ago (he's 5 months) he would get a treat for asking to go out and peeing during the night. He has just started sleeping through the night! It's wonderful LOL His mother was a rescue who had been in a crate for years -never let out except to breed! So, we were house breaking her too at the same time! She was a more difficult nut to crack but the treat reward worked for her too.

No accidents for three weeks now and I'm sure I have just jinxed it.

oh Cris, your post reminded me of what i did - I had a teddy for them to snuggle with that had the scent on from their mum, I also had a hot water bottle - didn't put boiling hot water in and kept it under his blanket at night, seemed to help ? :)

Our first two were crate trained but we gave up on the latest rescue and her puppy. She actually relaxed and calmed down wen we started letting her sleep with the others. I think it made her feel like she was part of the family. Now, we use one crate to hold all the dog food and the other to house all dog toys. I can see the advantage to crate training but it's jsut not for us. I should say that I work from home -so I am here 24/7 -that makes a difference

oh Sarah, I tried the hot water bottle... got very wet, in fact, it got eaten! LOL

oops!! I was quite lucky lol my boys didn't work out that they could chew it lol

What do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking Cris I'd love to be able to work from home!

....if 10 minutes isnt enough then wait 2 more. Some huskies just like to take their time...lol.

Sigh, so true. It would be 13 outside and Quinn wouldn't go out without me and a flashlight. I would have a down coat over my nightie and sheepskin mocs -A few times I thought Rich was gonna find me frozen solid in the morning! A few other times the little rat fell asleep outside! I finally bought this stuff called "train-UM" -you squirt a few drops on the ground where you want them to pee -it worked really well for us.

There is another trick that only really works for men and dogs and in isolated areas.... I can only shake my head in dismay but Rich swears it works LOL

Hello Cris,

I am also at home 24/7 doing college work, etc. It is a major advantage...lol.

I have thought of working at home but so much of the stuff is a scam these days that I shyed away from it.

I was supposed to be doing a program with a local dog trainer here, but then I found out he wasnt a person that I would be proud to work for and so I havent started looking again yet.

It's tough, I am a graphic designer -so I do contract work for other people. I was designing web sites but who can compete with a $200 outsourced web site LOL

Avoid the work at home scams! If you have a skill that can be telecommuted then it's good but honestly the tax situation sucks and no benefits...

But I used to sequence DNA in a cancer research lab and anything is better than that LOL -

Hi, welcome to the site. Hope you had a bit more of a settled night last night ...... we had that with our pup 3 years ago, we crated her from the beginning; she cried for the first 4 or 5 nights & has been great ever since as she sees it as her space to get away from us! Some huskies are just outdoor dogs, Myshka's mum is never inside, she eats, sleeps, everything out side at the breeders home, her dad is an indoor dog & hates going out for anything! How they've had 3 litters, I don't know!! lol! Persevere & she will get used to the routine & the fact she is not being left, good luck x