Zylkene

I thought about a DAP collar, but Kody has never had any form of collar around his neck, not keen on him having one while in there incase he gets it off some how and chews it up.

The Zylkene is a milk extract that is supposed to calm them down and they have a tablet crushed in food once a day. But i dont want him to be

out of it or anything. Really unsure on what to do.

Might get some and try him on it when i can be there for the whole day, see how he is.

cheers

Rich & Kody

Funny you should post this I've JUST now been researching it myself, (my boy has AWFUL seperation anxiety and this has been recomended by our vet too spec as Iv had the neighbours complaining!) the testimonies and online stuff all sound very posertive.. the vet nurse who actually recomended it to me used it on one of her dogs and had great sucess aparently and shes not just trying to sell it to me I met her at my dog training class so she has no comission or anything, havnt come across any ill effects as on yet although to be on it for any length of time could get expensive as for the 450mg doeses are the most expensive.. so far the cheapest Iv found is £99 for 100 tabs.

Im looking to get a behaviourist in aswell, just looking to find out if my insurance will cover it before I place my orders etc.

Zylkene came out early 2009 in the UK and we started using it at our vets.

The biggest thing that puts people off Zylkene is the price. It's very very very expensive and you will have to give your dog relatively large doses.

One of the nurses at the vets owned a cocker spaniel that suffered with aggression and she decided to put her on Zylkene, and she said the results were amazing. I never used to be able to really have contact with Lucky, but when she was on Zylkene I could.

As with anything, it's not 100% effective and it will take some trial and error.

When Aleu started suffering with worry/anxiety/stress after the recent issue we had with our 'dog psychologist' I considered Zylkene but it wasn't in my budget so I decided to try something else instead that we had used at the vets.

Aleu used to hate her cage, but she's now on Skullcap and Valerian. You can get it either from your vet or over the counter (you can get 200 tabs on amazon for £13 as apposed to 100 tabs for £13 at your vets), however if you are going to use them, I would advise that you inform your vet you are using them, just for their records. Skullcap and Valerian is a natural tablet and is sugar coated. Unlike most herbal remedies, Valerian also has a massive calming effect on humans and is sold to people also (but not the pet version with skullcap xD). Aleu LOVES her tablets! It's crazy, she sits there and lets me give them her, I then take her for a 20 minute walk to get it through her system, and by the time we come back she just wants to curl up in her crate!

She now sleeps in her crate throughout the day without me even putting her in there.

So that's two different methods of tablets you can try.

I hope this helps, but it really does depend on your dog, I know both have very very good results.

Stacey xxx