Any Tips for Showing your Husky?

Have you taught him how to "stack"? Does he know to maintain a trot and not try to jump up, break into a lope or try to sniff anyone else's dogs? Do you know how to handle him to show off his best features?

There is a lot more to showing than just paying an entrance fee and running around the ring with your dog.

ocspirit , the answer to most of your questions is no so I'm glad it's been cancelled due to the weather! I've never even heard the term stacked before, we were just going to go for a bit of fun & to see the other huskies but it sounds like it can be pretty serious.

He knows not to jump up on people, but loves to sniff everything and everyone- never even thought to train him not to that!

ocspirit , the answer to most of your questions is no so I'm glad it's been cancelled due to the weather! I've never even heard the term stacked before, we were just going to go for a bit of fun & to see the other huskies but it sounds like it can be pretty serious.

He knows not to jump up on people, but loves to sniff everything and everyone- never even thought to train him not to that!

was is just a 'fun' show or an actual show?

LOL yes some shows can be quite competitive, all depends on how "big" it is considered to be. Small local shows are a bit more forgiving, especially in the UKC however the dog knowing what to do in the ring is common courtesy and almost expected, especially in a popular breed ring like the Siberian Husky would be considered to be. For example if you had a rare breed like say, Estrela Mountain Dog, it is more forgiveable to have a dog that has poor "ring manners" because people are so thrilled that there actually is one in the ring. However breeds that easily have at least 5 entries or more should know the "ring manners" better, especially if you want your dog to even be considered by the judge. Poor ring manners can have you excused from the ring (because it is distracting for the other dog) and you can even make enemies with other competitiors cause it is considered rudeness in the ring. Not something you want at your very first show as your very first introduction to other showers....

But if it is just a "for fun" show then that is the very perfect place to get your feet wet :) But at the very least your dog should know how to stack :)

Is there a kennel club in your area where you might be able to find classes to teach you to show or a possible mentor who could show you (at least) the basics? Sorry, would love to get together and help, but the distance is a little too much! wink.gif

Hopefully it's a fun show or the people are nice. I went to an AKC show near me just to see what it was like and sheesh! There was all this talk afterward cause so and so bumped into so and so in a ring and how awful was that! He must have been trying to intimidate her! Also I showed one of the ladies pictures of my husky and she actually made fun of her in front of me! Made me never want to show a dog. My mom used to show her english setter and said people would make fun of her too, even though she beat a lot of their dogs!

If you do want to show seriously, I'd find some classes and a good breeder/shower that has a different breed of dog and learn as much as you can from them.

There are some nice people out there who show - and some very nasty ones. If you win a lot, but aren't a "big breeder" (have one of the important kennels) then they're really mean! I showed for many years, and made many good friends doing it. If you get to know people, you'll soon figure out who's nice and willing to help and who isn't - some will be amazingly helpful, even if your dog beats their dog. It's like any other group of people - there are good and bad in every crowd!

Have you taught him how to "stack"? Does he know to maintain a trot and not try to jump up, break into a lope or try to sniff anyone else's dogs? Do you know how to handle him to show off his best features?

There is a lot more to showing than just paying an entrance fee and running around the ring with your dog.

In the UK, there is a lot of discussion about whether Sibes should be "stacked" or freestanding within the show ring. "Stacking" is the practice of standing your dog then moving his/her feet into the position you want. Freestanding is when you just walk your dog into the correct pose. As far as I am concerned, (when I'm judging) I couldn't care less - whatever works for you and your dog to make him'her look his/her best is fine. Some of our dogs freestand perfectly, others looked better stacked. I really don't think it is a matter of principle (although some would disagree).

Mick

In the UK, there is a lot of discussion about whether Sibes should be "stacked" or freestanding within the show ring. "Stacking" is the practice of standing your dog then moving his/her feet into the position you want. Freestanding is when you just walk your dog into the correct pose. As far as I am concerned, (when I'm judging) I couldn't care less - whatever works for you and your dog to make him'her look his/her best is fine. Some of our dogs freestand perfectly, others looked better stacked. I really don't think it is a matter of principle (although some would disagree).

Mick

Good call!! :) But either way the dog IS expected to stand still and hold that pose even while the judge feels him over and inspects closely. With the Estrelas I stop them then I pick up their chest and set it down slowly, then pick up their rear end and do the same thing. This usually gets their feet exactly where they need to be. If not I just gently nudge the foot that needs to move with my foot so they pick it up and reset it what feels natural. Just what works for them

• 2 weeks later...

[ATTACH]7079.IPB[/ATTACH]

All that matters is you both have fun. We had a great day showing Shaer and Talon but other contestants didn't seem to like that we didn't take it serious. Shaer still walked away with two seconds.

We all had a great day out at the show which was held at the weekend, Leon behaved really well, he trotted nicely around the ring and stood nicely for the judge to examine him, he won his class and best male but lost out to best overall siberian husky. (the winner went on to win the entire group).

Best of all santa arrived for the children on a sledge being pulled by huskies.

post-672-135859584724_thumb.jpg

post-1592-13585960424067_thumb.jpg

We all had a great day out at the show which was held at the weekend, Leon behaved really well, he trotted nicely around the ring and stood nicely for the judge to examine him, he won his class and best male but lost out to best overall siberian husky. (the winner went on to win the entire group).

Best of all santa arrived for the children on a sledge being pulled by huskies.

Awwww wow congrats on winning two ribbons in one go! My first fun show with my girl we took 5th place in the pedigree open and I was proud as punch so to take two first ribbons your first time out he must have done really well! I think the main thing is just to have fun showing off you dog really, if you take it too seriously you can let the nastier people get to you and it spoils what should be just a nice fun activity for you and your dog. If you wanted to do it competatively tho their are classes you can go to that teach you (and you dog) all the things that were being disgussed above.. their call ringcraft classes and there should be at least one local to you, have a look around. :)

Yes, I've entered another one for February, we loved seeing all the different breeds and our boys tails didn't stop wagging all day.

Huskies are such naturally beautiful dogs, especially when you see the amount of grooming and care goes into some of the other breeds... rollers...talcum powder..hours of grooming. A good diet and a bath before hand is all it takes for a husky!.

Good job! smile.gif

Are you going to get out more? I should probably start working on training my puppy; it's been a while since I've shown.