New husky owner + new to forum

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you first get him you may not want to put a bed in the crate especially during potty training stages. All puppies like to pee on soft absorbent things and a bed would be perfect as a toilet :lol: :lol: :lol:. Zihna just had an old pillow case in there until she was fully potty trained. Mainly for having something that smelled like me in the crate with her to calm her down. Then I put an old bed sheet in there a little later. I did have a puppy bed for her with a nylon cover but she was so light that it did not bulge when she laid down and she kept rolling off :lol: :lol: :lol:

When she was about 4 month old I finally put her bed in her crate and she loved it.....she loves it sooooo much that after 1 week she removed the tag and started eating it where the tag used to be. I took it back out and bought her a doggy blanket. I just recently put her puppy bed back in with the doggy blanket over it so she does not see the part where she started eating it. She does not eat the blankets or sheets that I have had in there. And for now she has not started eating the bed but she sleeps on it all the time.

So just see what works for you but I would definitely get something inexpensive to start with to see if he will eat it or not. :)

I would also recommend a obedience class. Zihna is getting private classes and group classes at the moment. She loves to learn. Group classes can be a bit embaressing at first as they are usually the class clown but Zihna has gotten so much better at group class. Just takes a lil while to break them since they are sooooo stubborn. :lol: :lol:

As far as where to keep him....did you consider crate training? I think most members here will encourage you to get a crate. Then have him somewhere where he can be in his crate but still be around you guys. When I started crate training Zihna I would have the crate in the living room during the day and I moved it in the bedroom at night (which was a pain in my butt) but it helped her the first few nights. Now her crate is in the living room at all times. My bedroom door is right next to her crate so I can still hear her and she can hear Whisper snore at night :lol: :lol:

Don't worry about keeping them cool, they can tolerate all kinds of weather. They do prefer the cold, but as long as you don't blast the heater in the winter time he should be just fine. Mine like to lay on tile and the kitchen floor. They will find their spots. In the summer they always block my AC vents as they are in the floor and they will each lay on one of them LMAO.

Looks a very cute puppy but then again they all do at that age :)

Training: yeah using a clicker is cool but as been said if he gets bored of it he will ignore you don't take it to heart they all do this :lol: training IMO is very important as young as you can but also more important is socialization with other puppy so classes are great for this reason :)

Diet: am not going to go in to what you should and should not feed are there are a lot of conflicting advice out there the one thing I can say DO-NOT over feed a husky ever you will just be back here saying my dog as the runs and is getting skinny how can I stop this :o

Bedding: Most not all huskys reject any sort of bedding around 5-6 months usually be ripping it to bits and often eating it :o like I say most but not all if yours does just get rid they don't need it more often then not it just stinks after a while which is not nice :(

Might of missed it : are you crating ? not all do some wish they had and some never would but IMO they should be husky can be very destructive and that being the case a danger to themselves. having a crate gives them a place of there own and peace of mind when your in bed our out they are safe :)

Most of all enjoy your new puppy and get as much sleep the nights before he gets there as you won't when he does foe a while lol :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

hes gorgeous! :wub:

agree with everything everbody has said

with regards to food you want to keep feeding him what the breeder has him on, then if you do want to change it do its gradually as you dont want him getting the runs

with regards to beds, your pup might love it - mine had their bed for about 6 months then destroyed it - they either sleep on the floor or on my bed - he will find his own space where he is comfortable :)

agree on the crate training too - my male never chewed anything but paper, skyla cost us thousands of pounds worth of stuff we had 2 replace due to her chewing - which is then when we crated her and it was a god send!!!!

Somehow, I missed this one. Welcome to the Pack Trev. Nanuk sure is cute. There's been a lot of great advice already given, so I'll just add a second to several.

Keep exercise periods brief during the first year of life. About 5 minutes per month of age. Huskies usually stop growth at around 18 months, though there skeletal frame is fully developed at or a little after 12 months.

Consider crate training. It will help with potty training, provide a safe haven for you pup, and will come in handy when you have to leave for a few hours. You'll know he's safe and not getting into mischief or worse, chewing into an electrical cord.

Off leash is out of the question. There are very few Huskies that have been trained to be trusted off leash, and I suspect those that "trust" their Huskies off leash, may be in for a shock at some point, when their Husky focuses on some subject or event and takes off, never to be seen again.

Feeding is important. Puppy food of good quality, should be fed until 12 months of age. Don't feed kibble and raw at the same meal. If you are going to feed raw, do your research so you know that you give the proper nutrients. There are some excellent posts on the subject on this forum, by Sid Wolf. Check this forum area: http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/forum/28-food-diet/ Key point: If feeding kibble, don't follow the feeding guide on the bag. Most likely, you'll end up overfeeding your pup, end up with runny poos, and poor guy won't get the nutrients he needs. Also, when a pup, for the first few months, feedings should be at four per day, then taper down to three per day until nearly a year old, then down to two per day.

When it comes to potty training, pups cannot hold their bladders for more than an hour or two. So frequent visits outside will be needed. Always praise and award after. During the night, I set an alarm to wake me up every two hours to take Zoya out. If Nanuk starts to go potty in the house, don't get upset, simply pick him up and take him outside to finish there. Once done, praise and award. Clean up the area (best if you can crate him during the cleanup), and go on with your normal routine. We never scolded Zoya for her mistakes, always praised her for her good deeds, and we had her potty trained in less than two weeks.

Enjoy your new pup. Great Christmas present to yourself.

Hi and welcome to the pack..

Great advice from all but one addition i'd like to make is to treat littlen to a Kong.. the one that looks like an elongated behive hairdo and can be filled.

They do a puppy Kong to start which is a mottled blue colour and these then progress to red and then black as the chew strength is heightened.

Great empty at first as it has been mentioned pups stomach will be sensitive to change.. but once he is settled and a little older it doesn't just become a toy - it's then a novel way to feed..

Either you can put his food/kibble in it and leave it for him to chase about the floor.. or later on his treats and then frozen kongs.

Many great recipes are available for filling them - but for now it's a great addition to any Husky :)

Hugs

Nikki xx

hi guys once again thanks for the advice. ive got loads great photos of Nanuq (changed it from nanuk) ha. havent had time to upload photos yet coz been busy puppy sitting, he loves his new home. ive just getting james wellbeloved kibble for him and gradually he'll be feeding on it, putting 75% of his food and 25% james in his bowl and he should be on 100% wellbeloved by next week without the runs. got him sitting, sitting and paw for treats already. he even sits at the door and lets me enter 1st.

got a clicker but he doesnt seem to notice it when giving him treats.

he didnt give me much eye contact the 1st 2 days but hes started to pay more attention now.

the crate is great, he cried like mad the 1st 2days but is getting used to it now.

chewing stuff like mad tho. got him loads of toys but he love attacking my xmas tree haha.

Ahhh, my new nine week old pup LOVES the Christmas tree, too...and shoes....and anything with fur....gotta keep a constant eye on him so that he only chews his TOYS (any of the million he has....spoiled biggrin.gif )!

Mine still goes NUTS in his crate at night....its been almost a week and he still screams for a while until he gives up and drifts off. I hate it and it breaks my heart, but I know he has to learn. I hope he gets more comfortable sooner than later!

I haven't started teaching any tricks yet....he seems far too distracted by everything around him right now...but he is such a cuddler and I can't believe how affectionate he is! I'm at work now, for the first time since the holiday, and I have separation anxiety already, ha! Good thing my dad has off today and has offered to puppysit all day long!

Ahhh, my new nine week old pup LOVES the Christmas tree, too...and shoes....and anything with fur....gotta keep a constant eye on him so that he only chews his TOYS (any of the million he has....spoiled biggrin.gif )!

Mine still goes NUTS in his crate at night....its been almost a week and he still screams for a while until he gives up and drifts off. I hate it and it breaks my heart, but I know he has to learn. I hope he gets more comfortable sooner than later!

I haven't started teaching any tricks yet....he seems far too distracted by everything around him right now...but he is such a cuddler and I can't believe how affectionate he is! I'm at work now, for the first time since the holiday, and I have separation anxiety already, ha! Good thing my dad has off today and has offered to puppysit all day long!

Oh great that your dad volunteered to puppy sit!! :) Have you tried putting a kong or something in the crate with your pup? I did that with mine and still do and she works on those treats and then falls asleep. I used to put rawhide bones in with her too when she was smaller. And a bunch of treats scattered on the crate floor. Hope he gets used to it soon. Did you try maybe putting a blanket or sheet over the crate? That often calms them down a bit too. I know it's tough when they cry and complain. It will get better. Promise!! ;)

I love those puppy photos!! Reminds me of mine when she was little. If you ever struggle with the crate training - know that many of us have been there! I had many sleepless nights lying on the floor with a pillow and my hand on the crate until she fell asleep. She eventually was trained to sleep a few hours at a time..but she regressed after a while..... at 4 or 5 months we moved to a no crate sleeping routine and it worked well. She now at 7 months will go to bed when we do and sleep on the floor on in her bed.

One routine we started that helped at a young age - an early AM walk with my husband- first it was only 20 minutes and over time it has increased to 30-45minutes. What this does is releases some energy right away and then we both head off to work soon after and she is crated during the day until the dog walker takes her out mid-day.....

When we're home on weekends or holidays, the routine continues and she comes back, eats and sleeps for a while -giving us and the cat a break :-)

Best wishes for a successful new year with your pup.

I love those puppy photos!! Reminds me of mine when she was little. If you ever struggle with the crate training - know that many of us have been there! I had many sleepless nights lying on the floor with a pillow and my hand on the crate until she fell asleep.

Yeah I remember those nights. I would stay next to crate till she was sleep and then sneak into bed. This did not always work. I would sneak but Whisper would be behind me walking like an elephant and wake her. So I used to grab a pillow and sleep on the floor next to the crate! :( It was either sleep there or not sleep at all!!! :mellow: lol

Oh great that your dad volunteered to puppy sit!! :) Have you tried putting a kong or something in the crate with your pup? I did that with mine and still do and she works on those treats and then falls asleep. I used to put rawhide bones in with her too when she was smaller. And a bunch of treats scattered on the crate floor. Hope he gets used to it soon. Did you try maybe putting a blanket or sheet over the crate? That often calms them down a bit too. I know it's tough when they cry and complain. It will get better. Promise!! ;)

Thanks for the advice....I stuffed his Kong with a bit of peanut butter and a few pieces of his kibble....I had to keep checking on him because he was so suspiciously quiet! Slept through the night and didn't mess in his crate at all!!! Woohoo!

I like the third pic of your sleepin' puppy as well...he is awesome!