brushing your husky

Sqwidge

Have any of you had any issues trying to brush your baby??

Eika is a pain in the bum, she will bite your hand, bite the brush roll over run away etc etc!!! Does anyone else have this? and is it just a puppy thing? The other night i held a treat in my hand for her to nibble on whilst i brushed her and that did help...so i think i may need to do that, but she still wanted to sit and roll over to eat it!:rolleyes:

Bo has always been difficult when we're grooming, but recently has become absolutely positive we are trying to kill him.

Earlier in the week Siberian Wolf suggested I try using lavendar to calm him. I sprayed it on my hands and then stroked his muzzle. I waited a few minutes before attempting to brush him. (Thanks SW!)

Mind you, he wasn't an angel, but I do think it helped to ease him a bit.

Whatever you do, be sure that YOU stay calm. Don't allow her actions to frustrate you. She'll feed off that energy and kaos will reign. Begin with short brushing times, and work up from there. Good luck.

dief will let me brush him all day long, taz is a pain in the bum, tried treats and all sorts with him, i ended up getting his basket muzzle out, and he sits there as good as gold cause he knows he cant bite, when he is proper calm and letting me brush him, i take the muzzle off and he carries on lettin me brush him, its like he forgets that brushin doesnt hurt, so i have to remind him lol

Sounds like she is rather anxious about the brushing. Have you tried walking her or making her tired before you brush her? Or try the same as I suggested to Becky with the lavender (No worries Becky) or other relaxing scents. You could also try playing some soothing calm music and see if this makes a difference.

I'm not sure if it's anxious or if she is just being a pain and rolling and biting it! When we get paid at the end of the month, i will go and buy some lavendar oil and try that as i think that may help her during the day when we're at work as well, might put a few drops on her bed.

Can't take her for a walk til next week, so will deffo try that once she can go out!

I'm not sure if it's anxious or if she is just being a pain and rolling and biting it! When we get paid at the end of the month, i will go and buy some lavendar oil and try that as i think that may help her during the day when we're at work as well, might put a few drops on her bed.

Can't take her for a walk til next week, so will deffo try that once she can go out!

Definately worth a try, if you put drops on her bed try and make sure she doesnt lick it or maybe try and get one that isnt harmful to dogs.

oh Yes, chewie nips and barks...and jumps around...he makes brushing him into the worlds most active sport.

If you can find it try the "love Glove" or something similar. and for the nipping make yippy or other loud "you scared or hurt me" noises. Chewie would lay his ears down and lay down quietly if I made a loud yipe-ing noise at him.

The gloves will work for puppies and larger dogs in between sheddings, but when its active shedding time, get a brush that is easy for you to control.

I also found it a little easier to switch from collar to harness when brushing so I can hold him a bit easier. When he relaxes I remove the harness and let him lay on my lap and be brushed...it seems to work ok. He has started to use his good manners and lay in front of me and relax on his own.

Sometimes I guess they view the brush as one really big set of teeth or even a really uncool toy...lol.

Just find a good way to relax the pup or dog while you brush and use a softer brush when they are not full-on shedding.

how offen should you brush them?:D

When they are blowing their undercoat, we brush our once or twice a day for about an hour a time (they get bored after an hour, unless they have been on a very long walk), and trust me they still look a mess, but look a little better! If they are not blowing at the time then we only usually brush them if they have got muddy/dirty on their walk, we usually let it dry out a bit and brush it out instead of bathing them which makes it much easier than washing dirt out with 3 dogs that dont like bath time! They usually get dirty every Sunday when they go to the forest so about once a week they get a brush.

good point amy lol!!! Will have a look tonight for some dog friendly one!

let us know how it goes :)

Sometimes I guess they view the brush as one really big set of teeth or even a really uncool toy...lol.

Just find a good way to relax the pup or dog while you brush and use a softer brush when they are not full-on shedding.

Great advice! When it comes to grooming time, it needs to be a time where the dog can chill out and relax which makes brushing alot more pleasent for us. Grooming time should not be a time where stress is in the air which can cause aggrivation to us and our sibes.

i had a look but couldn't find any..i'm going to the pet shop on sunday so will have a look there. Also going shopping on saturday so will see if they have any in the health food shops?!

If you can't get any aroma oils maybe try and get a cheapy plug in with lavender scent and plug it in somwhere and see if this helps to relax her.