Making my own run/ tie-out

HuskyNewbie

I'm pretty handy, and am looking to make my own dog-run/tie-out. Note: She would NOT be kept on it without supervision. But as our fences are only about 4- 4 1/2 feet I want something that she can use to run around on, and have full use of the area but not be loose.. If that makes sense? It's 20m Wide by 60m long. I'm looking to run something from one end to the other. But have it stop within jumping distance... Than have her area long enough so she can run the width..

So best material? I would like to use cable or rope... But not sure where I can go to finding something with enough weight resistance... Any configuration ideas? I was planning on doing it from one end to the other, with a piece that hangs down that will attach to her harness(I figure less easy to get caught up?) but not sure if giving her 15/20 feet worth of line to run to the side would be safe?

I don't want to just get a tie-out, i'd rather custom make something so I can get the length I want.... The area has no trees or anything that she can get hung up on...

Ideas?

Or would it be safe to cover part of the area and make a smaller area so she can run loose? I know it's to short by itself but what if I covered it? I was thinking some sort of mesh or vinyl fencing, or maybe even a tarp? It would be nailed down with a nail gone, and have supports down the middle ... Opinions on that to?

Tie outs can be risky. Good that you will keep a supervisory eye open. I would use aircraft cable, well, what I call aircraft cable. It is steel cable with a thick plastic jacket. You want something that will withstand several hundred pounds of pull. After you get it installed, I would inspect it on a regular basis. Once the jacket cracks or breaks, any rain or water that gets in between the steel threads may start to corrode. You may want to take a look at http://www.mcmaster.com for some ideas on materials and their associated costs.

• 3 weeks later...

I would actually suggest chain for the part of the run that you will connect to the dog, rather than rope or cable as rope can be chewed and cable stretches over time and wears out quicker than chain. Cable would be better than rope though if you don't want to use chain. Your local hardware should have the materials that you need to make a cable run(I am assuming that that is what you want to make??) and you can ask some one there for help in finding these materials.

As for covering part of your yard, this might not be a good idea. Huskies are excellent escape artists and with the fence only being 4ft high, he would be able to find a way out easily. I once had a beagle who could climb her 6ft kennel and get out the of the chicken wire covered roof.

I have a cable run myself and i will try and take and upload some pics of it. :)

I don't know if you still need these but here are the pics I promised of my cable run. (you sill have to click on them to make them bigger)

This is the main attachment.

[ATTACH]7206.IPB[/ATTACH]

This where we just looped the end of the run around a tree. (you might want to make both ends of your cable run like the above picture)

[ATTACH]7207.IPB[/ATTACH]

This is how the cable is attached to itself. (Not exaclty sure how this is done as I didn't make this run but if you ask the workers at your local hardware store, they will be able to tell you what you need to know)

[ATTACH]7208.IPB[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps!! :)

post-2875-13585958835503_thumb.jpg

post-2875-13585958858537_thumb.jpg

post-2875-13585958858789_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty handy, and am looking to make my own dog-run/tie-out. Note: She would NOT be kept on it without supervision. But as our fences are only about 4- 4 1/2 feet I want something that she can use to run around on, and have full use of the area but not be loose.. If that makes sense? It's 20m Wide by 60m long. I'm looking to run something from one end to the other. But have it stop within jumping distance... Than have her area long enough so she can run the width..

So best material? I would like to use cable or rope... But not sure where I can go to finding something with enough weight resistance... Any configuration ideas? I was planning on doing it from one end to the other, with a piece that hangs down that will attach to her harness(I figure less easy to get caught up?) but not sure if giving her 15/20 feet worth of line to run to the side would be safe?

I don't want to just get a tie-out, i'd rather custom make something so I can get the length I want.... The area has no trees or anything that she can get hung up on...

Ideas?

Or would it be safe to cover part of the area and make a smaller area so she can run loose? I know it's to short by itself but what if I covered it? I was thinking some sort of mesh or vinyl fencing, or maybe even a tarp? It would be nailed down with a nail gone, and have supports down the middle ... Opinions on that to?

I am not sure if you have found something yet, I did not see this post the first time around.

Last week at Home Depot we picked up a run kit that they had in the same part of the store as the rope and chain. It is made of plastic covered stainless steel cable. I think it is 3/16" steel cable, so it is plenty strong enough. The kit came with a long section (i think 100 feet) along with the attach bolts for each end. It also came with a shorter section with clips on both ends to go from the dogs collar up to the long section that you string across the yard. I have also seen the same cable sold in bulk where you can buy a piece as long as you need. If you need a really long piece, you may have to turn to the internet. The problem with it being too long is that it will sag over time, so you will need to keep tightening it. It did have a spring on one end to keep it tighter, but with dogs pulling on it, it will stretch some. If you want to go with just the plain cable route, I would go to an aviation parts online store and buy a length of control line cable. It is higher quality than non-aviation cable, and it does not stretch (would not be good to have the control cables on and aircraft stretch). It will be a lot more expensive because of being aviation grade, but you would probably have a product that lasts longer. We bought the kit at Home Depot so that I could make 2 longer tie-outs for when we go to places that are not fenced and the kit was easier than trying to find the bulk cable and have it delivered in time.

As for the fence, has your dog shown any intention of wanting to get out over it? We have 2 huskies and a 4 foot fence that surrounds our yard. We only leave our dogs out there when we are home, and neither one of them is tied up now when we put them out. We did at first when we got them, but over time they have learned the limit of the fence, and they do not try to get out. We have a lot of squirrels in our neighborhood, and the dogs run back and forth when there are some in the next door yard, but they not try to jump the fence to get at them. Only you know if the fence that you have is enough to keep your dogs in. In general people say you need a 6 foot fence plus something to keep them from digging out, but that is a general rule, and does not apply to every dog. If we left ours outside when we were not home I would want something more secure, but our 2 will spend a couple of hours at a time outside when we are home without any type of tie-out.