Zoya the Husky or Zoya the Cow?

Mazz

Since Zoya has been on antibiotics for the better part of a week due to her injury that's still healing, she has taken to grazing in the back yard. She has always nibbled on grass, especially in the spring of the year. However, this past week I'm beginning to think she may soon be going MOO-MOO instead of WOO-WOO!

I just came in from the back yard with her, and she spent several minutes pulling grass, chomping as she looked around, then pulling more grass. (We don't use fertilizers or weed killers in the back yard, for this very reason.) We walked around the back yard and every few minutes, Zoya stopped and started pulling some grass again.

I spoke with her vet about this subject just prior to her injury. He said studies have been done on why dogs eat grass, with little or no absolute conclusion. Some people think that dogs eat grass when their stomach is upset. Maybe because some dogs cannot tolerate grass and vomit soon after eating grass. Other dogs, like Zoya, eat grass with no apparent issues. Some dogs may simply like the taste of grass.

Most of mine like to graze, too. Rebel goes nuts when I bring leftover salad, veggies or fruits out to the kennel - he absolutely LOVES anything like that! Several others also enjoy it when I give them things like that. Sometimes they do eat grass to vomit, though - the antibiotics may be upsetting her stomach? You could try giving her some yogurt to help her gut's balance...