Zoya and the Cone of Shame

Mazz

Zoya got a big owie today. She slipped on the frost as she was running up to the stairs on the deck, fell, and gashed open the underside of her lower jaw. It was a blood bath at 7:30 this morning. I had just sat down at my desk and was waiting for my computer at work to boot up, when the phone rang. It was Sally (zoyasmom). I drove back home. By then, Sally had stopped the bleeding. I applied an ointment we have called EMT to seal the wound. Zoya did not seem to be phased in the least. We took a look, and made the decision that she needeed to see the nasty old doctor again. Zoya was juat at the pet clinic on Saturday, for her annual wellness exam and some vaccinations.

So, nearly $400 later, I picked Zoya up after work, cone and all. Doctor said it took 9 staples to close the wound. She is on pain meds and antibiotics. Thank my lucky stars, we hyave health insurance on her. While it won't pay the wholw bill, it will at least cover a nice part of it. Zoya is resting comfortably while Sally is out to the pet stoe to pick up a Comfy Cone to repolace the one from the vet, which is a piece of junk. I'll post pictures later in this thread.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man Dave I'm so sorry to hear about Zoya's accident! Not a great way to start of the day that's for sure. At least you were able to get care for her right away so no infection could set in and such. Major healing thoughts headed her way for a swift and easy recovery though ^_^

Here's the pics. Sally went out when she got home to get Zoya a Comfy Cone. Zoya has been resting this evening. She looks so sad.

Zoyacone1.jpg

Zoyacone2.jpg

The pic below is the injury with the staples.

Zoyacone3.jpg

The pic below is the Comfy Cone.

Zoyacone4.jpg

Poor thing, good that someone was there when it happened. They really hate the cones and sometimes I wonder how necessary they are. I've seen some that aren't actually cones but look more like a neck brace...but that probably would not stop scratching, and most likely as it heals, it will itch. Hope she's better soon!