Clipping or Shaving?

Has anyone ever shaved or clipped their husky? The reason I ask is because Bear is a really thick coated wooly. The group we rescued him from said not to shave or clip him because the double coat actually acts as insulation against cold and heat. I think I saw something posted in another thread about this. The groomer I take him to asked if I wanted him shaved or clipped for summer. I mentioned what I had been told and the response was that it is okay to clip them or shave them. I know that would definitely make my life easier....but I don't want to do anything that could hurt my Bear....

Advice?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i personally wudnt shave or clip my husky hes not wooly like urs but the fur does keep them warm when needed and cool when needed u might need 2 take extra procations cool water ALWAYS avalible tho im sure u do that anyway maybe a pool u cud put ice cubes in his water but deffo dont shave or clip n maybe go to a new groomer who nos sibes sorry i cant help too much

I wouldn't do either to be honest. They can cope surprisingly well in warmer climates - we have members on here from Oz, who say their sibes are fine with the heat.

I'm presuming you've gone through the "blowing" of the coat lol hair everywhere!! lol This is their way of keeping cool :) Their fur feeps them cool in summer and warm in winter - wish i could be more like them! :)

There were a couple of posts in the thread about kongs (under toys, I think) about freezing stuff inside the kong to give them something to chew on and keep them cool. That''s what I'm thinking I'll do during the summer here too. That and ice in a baby pool....

We do let Sneakers inside the house, though, so he can always cool down in here.

Ed. to add - in answer to your original question, I wouldn't shave or clip a husky.

ok i have a question on this post.... so what should i do with tikaani and nikita when i run them ???? let them sweat or trimm their coat ????

To be honest - don't run them when it's too hot, it's not fair on them.

You don't need to clip them IMO but ensure that they are WELL hydrated ALWAYS before running and have cold wet towels and water on stand by - don't give them cold water either put warm water in to take the edge off - i learnt that this weekend in alwen :)

You don't need to clip them IMO but ensure that they are WELL hydrated ALWAYS before running and have cold wet towels and water on stand by - don't give them cold water either put warm water in to take the edge off - i learnt that this weekend in alwen :)

warm water!? really?

yeh great sarah( not digging at you ) but did you not notice that none of the dogs there had the coats that kimba or my girls have got .... so what needs to be done to shorten / lessen ... as for let my dogs sweat / over heat jackie ... sorry no i love them to much to do that ..they love to run and if clipping their coat back is whats needed then ....so be it

Thanks for al the replies and advice. I have gone through several coat blowings and there is a little sign by the front door which warns all that enter..A friend made it for me after coming over one day when I was brushing Bear. She saw the three plastic bags I had of hair and went home and painted a little sign for us. Now everyone is forewarned...lol

Husky Haven told me that I can send the hair off to some place where they will make socks with it and the proceeds got to Husky Rescue..Anyone else heard this?

Thanks Austinville for the link. That was a good read.

I will refrain from clipping Bear...even though the tumbleweeds of hair will drive me crazy!

none of the dogs there had the coats that kimba or my girls have got ....

I may sound stupid here, but just a thought, as I don't know much about running the dogs,(something Bo and I never did) but would their coats 'adjust' to their activity level? I know when Bo would spend days outdoors on the farm, his coat would not be as thick as the times when he would spend the days inside with less activity. Obviously, I don't mean overnight changes in his coat, but it did change over time as his activity level changed.

Save Our Siberians - Siberspace Rescue Fund

http://www.sos-srf.org/FurSpinning.html

How can I help?

You can donate fur from your shedding Siberian. Or you can help knit or create other wonderful items. We are also looking for people to spin Siberian Husky undercoat into yarn. Please contact Kristine Biagiotti at kbiagiotti@yahoo.com . if you would would like to be a volunteer spinner.

How do I save fur?

Groom your dog while it is dry and preferably clean. Store the fur in paper bags until you decide to send it off. A skein of yarn can be spun from about 4 oz. of fur.

How do I clean the fur?

Fur needs to be picked clean of foreign materials such as grass, twigs, and carpet fibers. Washing the fur will not remove this stuff, so it must be picked out by hand. Most fur does not require any washing, but if it is extremely dirty or matted or smelly, then you can try the following method.

Fill a basin with very hot water and add a good amount of either dish detergent or dog shampoo. Put the fur in and gently push it down below the water level. Be careful not to agitate the fur in any way, and leave it to soak for at least half an hour. Drain the water and add fresh hot water for rinsing. You must not agitate the fur but simply allow it to soak for a few minutes to draw the soap and dirt out. Repeat with fresh rinse water until the water is running clean. Dry the fur on a screen. If the fur gets agitated at all during this process, it will most likely mat up. If this happens, you must throw away the matted parts as they cannot be spun. (But you could try making a felt hat from them!)

Where do I send the fur?

Kristine Biagiotti

19 Oxford Drive

Franklin, MA 02038

What can I make?

Hats, scarves, mitts, dreamcatchers, Christmas tree ornaments, accessories for teddy bears and dolls, etc. Kristin Biagiotti, who is distributing the yarn, is collecting patterns and will send them with the yarn.

You may also make donations of other crafts or items. Example of donated items include plates with a Northern dog theme, pictures, magnets, wall hangings and note cards.

What is done with the money that is raised?

Please visit our rescue projects page to see how the money is being spent. We have donated money for heartworm treatment, eye surgery, x-rays, medication, etc. We have also made donations when large groups of dogs require treatment.

so its not fair to go out and run with my girls when thats what they want and thats what they love to do.... sorry cant keep them cooped up in house / back yard all the time when they love to go out... i just keep the runs to short distances,,,, as the old saying "only mad dogs and english men go out in the midday sun "... well i pick my times ... early morning or late night ... some people may think i dont take my dogs out as they never see it ... but its allways before they think about getting up in week or after they are in bed...... i do and will get up at 5 am if its best time of day for a run... my girls .. get the best i can give.... next season they will both be fit and very healthy to run with....... win or lose i dont care .... all that matters is they enjoy and so do i !!!!!!

so its not fair to go out and run with my girls when thats what they want and thats what they love to do.... sorry cant keep them cooped up in house / back yard all the time when they love to go out... i just keep the runs to short distances,,,, as the old saying "only mad dogs and english men go out in the midday sun "... well i pick my times ... early morning or late night ... some people may think i dont take my dogs out as they never see it ... but its allways before they think about getting up in week or after they are in bed...... i do and will get up at 5 am if its best time of day for a run... my girls .. get the best i can give.... next season they will both be fit and very healthy to run with....... win or lose i dont care .... all that matters is they enjoy and so do i !!!!!!

Hey hang on - all i said was not to run them in the hot weather...IMO

hey i think if ur running them early morning l8 night (when i no its rly cold out anyway lol) that u wudnt need 2 clip them maybe ask mick what he does as he runs his dogs doesnt he did u speak to any1 at the place u were yesterday n that? do they clip theirs i think whateva u think is best for ur dogs u will do same with any1 here we all no how much each ov us all love our dogs