Play biting/nipping

This seems to be the main problem we've had with sneakers so far and I'm not really finding anything that "works". He's 10 weeks old now, if that helps in offering solutions.

We started handling it with grabbing his muzzle closed and saying "no", but that actually seemed to make it worse. :confused: So I did a bit of reading and it seems most people suggest saying "ouch" in a high pitched tone and ignoring him for a minute or so, but that's not really working either. He is a bit better with me but it hasn't slackened up a bit with my husband and the kids in a week of consistently doing that. :confused: I'm working on making him see the kids are also "above" him in order by having them feed him and work on a bit of training stuff. He's very good at following their commands, but the second it's free time he's nipping and jumping again.

Last night and this a.m. (we've been up for about 3 hours), I'm trying keeping him on the leash when the kids are around. So, now he's nipping at MY clothes and playing tug of war with the leash. (he does not do either of these things when I'm walking him or just have him on leash training with just me, so I still think it's something about having the kids around?) I finally just put him outside on his own for a bit.

I realize part of the issue may have been that it's been rainy all week and I havn't been able to walk him, etc. However, he is playing in the yard for exercise (I'll go out with my umbrella and throw stuff around to get him running for awhile) and playing tug with his ducky and chasing the blow dryer inside...

I looked into training classes, but here what they teach in the puppy classes is basically house training, sit, stay and come. He already knows sit, stay, come and come pretty well, just need to work on consistency. I've found two places whose websites say they do puppy consultations, but I'm not sure what that entails. One of them wants $400 for a 2-hour consult (totally out of my price range) and the other around $100 for a one-hour. Neither is calling me back for more info on what that entails. :confused: (it is the beginning of spring break here, so they may be closed for a week or so...)

Any suggestions on this, or are we overreacting because of our association with a lab who lives a few doors down and still niips at the kids and jumps on them (and escapes his yard regularly) at 18 months old?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any dog that is still nipping at 18 months old has not bin trained to know that this is bad, Blaze is 6 months n no longer nip try flickin his nose as he does it and say no in a very stern voice and ignore him for five mins worked for us he had stopped nippin by 3 months old it took a while to learn but hes stopped now :D

ive heard that people give a toy to distract him from nippin but i belive that when he nips if ur givin him a toy to distract him then this is rewarding him for nippping so i personally wudnt do this dunno if any1 here has had success doin it that way or even if theyve done it this way hope this helps

can i ask why u cant/dont take him out when its raining?

Well, I guess I should say cold and pouring rain. I'm a wimp? :o Actually we go out with him a bit, but not for the amount of time he's used to when it is nice out. The past 4 days it's just a short walk around the block and us standing out while he's going potty, then throwing balls or whatever around to get him running for a bit... It has lightened to a drizzle today so we will play outside more.

We'll try the flicking. The ignoring doesn't seem to do much good - so far at least.

Well, I guess I should say cold and pouring rain. I'm a wimp? :o Actually we go out with him a bit, but not for the amount of time he's used to when it is nice out. The past 4 days it's just a short walk around the block and us standing out while he's going potty, then throwing balls or whatever around to get him running for a bit... It has lightened to a drizzle today so we will play outside more.

ah ok fair enuf was just wondering cuz my two will go out no matter what the weather

play wit him in the house aswell he might b bored so hes nippin to say lets play! ooh after uve told him no n ignored him for awhile give him a stroke n if he dont nip start playing a game with him he might realise that when he gets fussed without nippin he gets rewarded he might learn quicker that way good luck let us no how u get on

i also found this

http://www.dogadvice.co.uk/how-to-stop-my-puppy-biting-nipping/

hope it helps

When Gizmo was a puppy we found the high pitched 'ouch' worked with him and we didnt have the problem with Marley and Bandit.

It is important to put a stop to constant biting as this can become more of a problem as a puppy grows up.

Do you have any chew toys for him, if not try him with a few and see if this helps. If you do have some try and make up some games with him and the toys to try and pass the biting onto the toys, if you follow me.

I have found a few links which look quite helpful:

http://www.dogadvice.co.uk/how-to-stop-my-puppy-biting-nipping/

http://housebreakingmypuppy.com/stop-puppy-biting/

http://www.dogproblems.com/puppybiting.cfm?affID=dogs360

Thanks. Did you use that ebook? I'm tempted to buy it. Honestly nervous about using cc on sites I'm not familiar with.... Any purchased it online that can reassure me?

Sorry I haven't. Dont usually do online shopping apart from on Amazon and Ebay.

Found this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_1_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=secrets+of+a+professional+dog+trainer+adam+katz&sprefix=Secrets+of+a+p"]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_1_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=secrets+of+a+professional+dog+trainer+adam+katz&sprefix=Secrets+of+a+p[/ame]

Aww, thanks for the offer. Is that book good? I might order it (I'm a big reader so I spend a fortune on books anyway..) I doubt our local store has it, but I know Amazon would....

If the weather perks up we're off to camp tonight and boating tomorrow, so no rush. ;) Of course, that's all dependent on if the campsite is even open after all the rain.

we are having the same problem...i will have to video her psychotic tendencies she has. She will bite us, but then if we push her away, say no, walk away she will chase us down.....or if i'm on the floor and try to get in my chair, she'll bite my butt!!!

But she just keeps going at you, really scary sometimes lol!! worst thing is she sometimes goes for josh...will have to think about flicking her nose...

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in this one, sqwidge.

That's kind of what happens here. It finally cleared up here and he did seem to do better outside, so maybe he's still trying to figure out the inside rules and he gets confused when he's more confined?

We also decided no more playing the chase game b/c he does tend to grab at clothes when we do that. Maybe they can do it again when he's older.

Let me know how the flicking works. I did it earlier when he nipped on me and he actually hasn't nipped at me since..... When my husband did it he laid down on the ground and looked sad until Mark called him back over... At least he "got it" that nipping is bad!

see i was thinking that Bec...and to be honest i don't have the heart to flick so she would know i mean business....i tried it last night but a) i kept missing her nose and B) if i did it was more like air passing over her and she wouldn't notice!

Grabbing her scruff and shaking a little and saying no/growling at her seemed to work last night, so i think we will stick with that. The main thing that is concerning me is when she jumps on josh, knocks him to the ground and bundles him...it happens in a matter of seconds...and sometimes he giggles, which encourages her and sometimes he cries, which encourages her! rargh, kids and animals...i don't know about not working with them, not living with them either! i have to keep remembering she is still a puppy and learning...she is still a puppy and learning...

wit blaze it was just a small quick flick 2 the nose as he nipped at us he seemed to learn and he isnt hand shy we gave him plenty ov fuss after so i think that helped i mean i dnt wanna tell ppl this is how u HAVE to do it im jus sayin what i did after all i no that diff dogs react to things differently and every1 has their own ways so i dont wanna say you HAVE to do this if u understand

My beagle was a terrible jumper when she was a pup, so I used the NILIF principle (nothing in life is free) to teach her to offer a positive behaviour when she wanted attention instead. She had to learn that any time she wanted something (food, attention/a pat, a throw of her toy, wanting me to open the door so she can go outside etc etc) she would have to "pay" for it first.

So as soon as I got home and she came running up to jump on me, I would tell her to sit, and would ignore her until her butt was sitting calmly on the floor. As soon as her butt hit the ground, I would give her loads of attention and praise. It didn't take long for her to pick up that jumping up = nothing but sitting nicely = attention. So now when I get home I have a dog who runs up to me and sits her butt on the ground waiting for a pat :)

As for nipping/play biting - there are a few things that are tried and tested. Saying "no" and redirecting the dog to a toy often works well to give them an 'allowed' outlet for their burst of energy. Diverting the dog's attention when you can tell they are getting hyped up and nippy can be useful too, put them in a pen or outside/in another room and allow them to calm down and get over their hyper energy before letting them out to engage with them. For more severe cases you can get a spray bottle with water and spray the dog with a quick burst of water when they nip you.

But teaching an alternative positive behaviour is often useful as the dog needs to learn what they can do, not just what they can't (if that makes sense).

No worries Nix, I was just wondering what the flicking involved :)

Thanks Nix!

I hope I didn't come across as dissing your recommendation, I was just curious as to how it worked, now you have explained it doesn't sound bad or anything it was just the name that got me curious!

oh no thats fine dnt wrry bout it it didnt sound like u were dissing it at all i can totally understand why u wud b curious i guess im not very good at explaining things