blowing coats

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i think it's twice a year...and heres what happened to my two: >> they blew it at diff times!

Alaska blew here's before christmas...she didn't blow a lot mind you, and after this her undercoat was thicker and felt softer...i think she was getting her winter coat.

Balto blew his after christmas in about late feb..and is still blowing his:eek2: i think he is getting his spring/summer coat, alaskas coat is medium and balto's is long.....gosh it's been a long month....theres hair in the air:rolleyes: lol

so im noit actually sure when.....

I heard they blow their undercoat twice a year, but I think when they are puppies still they will only blow their undercoat once in their first year. Trust me, you will know when Blaze blows his undercoat ;)

Gizmo first blew his undercoat when he was around 6/7 months old, not much but alot more than the usuall amount we have. He has just finished his second now at 14 months old. From this I get the impression Gizmo will blow his undercoat approximately every 7-8 months but I wouldnt like to say for definate. This time around he did blow his undercoat good and proper! I would groom him for a good 2 hours or more solid and it was still coming! Gizmo looks like he has never been brushed when he blows his!

Marley and Bandit are just starting to blow theirs for the first time at 8 months old. They are both starting together aswell :confused:.

I think that the change in seasons has alot to do with when they blow their undercoat for reason of weather change (Cold to Hot, Wet to Dry, etc).

In theory twice a year, Spring and fall. But that depends on numerous factors. Climate is the main one of course. Is the dog an outdoor dog or an indoor/outdoor dog is another one. Even diet can be a factor.

We live in NE NC near the coast. Winter temps are normally upper 30sF to the low 40sF during the day. Summers are mid 80sF to upper 90sF. 100+ is not abnormal.

Our kids are all indoor/outdoor dogs. They shed all year and blow three or four times, sometimes more. And ours don't always do it all at the same time either.

We have one that blows once a year. Ashley starts in early January and stops in late December.:confused:

Needless to say, the vacuums get a workout a couple of times a day sometimes but we are still knee deep in hair.:P

dief n taz r blowin now, have been for a couple of weeks. luckily i think its still just puppy coat stuff, had to buy a new hoover, and have discovered its easier to hoover the dogs than the floor, so the dogs get hoovered each day and the floors get hoovered after lol, the dogs love it as well they just lie there lol, its quite funny, i get the hoover out and they both drop and roll ,

In theory twice a year, Spring and fall. But that depends on numerous factors. Climate is the main one of course. Is the dog an outdoor dog or an indoor/outdoor dog is another one. Even diet can be a factor.

We live in NE NC near the coast. Winter temps are normally upper 30sF to the low 40sF during the day. Summers are mid 80sF to upper 90sF. 100+ is not abnormal.

Our kids are all indoor/outdoor dogs. They shed all year and blow three or four times, sometimes more. And ours don't always do it all at the same time either.

We have one that blows once a year. Ashley starts in early January and stops in late December.:confused:

Needless to say, the vacuums get a workout a couple of times a day sometimes but we are still knee deep in hair.:P

You must spend alot of your time brushing your sibes, kept on your toes. I thought I had alot hair from Gizmo and I am getting alot from Marley and Bandit at the moment but you must get 3times, or more, more hair than me with your kids, lol

Bitter experience has proven that they always blow their coat immediately before an important dog show - no matter what time of year it is :mad::mad:

Ours all blew their coats during the coldest part of the winter this year - go figure!!!

Still, home wouldn't be home without the husky "tumbleweed" blowing through the house. Have you noticed how the tumbleweed can materialise out of thin air? The other day we put all the dogs out in the garden and hoovered the place top to bottom. Everything clean and shiny. We sat down to drink a well-earned coffee and within seconds, balls of tumbleweed appeared from nowhere and blew across the floor...........

Mick

Have you noticed how the tumbleweed can materialise out of thin air? ...........

Mick

Yup, the last time Rich's parents came, at Christmas. We swept vacuumed and swept again. Two minutes after they arrived I saw his mother trying to free herself from a really big tumbleweed attached to her shoe. It was actually very funny, I watched for a while before I reached down and grabbed it! She couldn't believe I could touch it with my bare hands! Of course, she told me this while she was patting Tala. Hair on dog safe, same hair on floor bad! LOL

sigh, they are arriving again on the 20th.....

Myshka was 8 months old when she had her first major blow, fur everywhere for weeks! But she has only had very light, hardly noticable sheds twice a year since, until now, 3 1/4 yrs old & another almighty one! So we've been really lucky compared to some!! She looks so unkempt & unloved, poor girl!!!