Oh No, problem with Gizmo!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Cesar Milan while I don't think everything he says is relevant to siberian huskies, I found his tail language descriptions on target with my four.

High curled tail = high energy and situations can easily get out of hand in play or fighting

Curled down and wrapped under, against stomach = fear and submission, which can sometimes lead to aggression out of fear (seen with other rescues, not mine thank god!)

Tail down and straight = calm, so other signals are serious.

About 6 months after I got Tala, I was walking her early on a Sunday morning. A loose dog came running from behind a house heading straight for us. The dog was snarling, slobbering and sounded very scary. The other dog's tail was high but not curled. He looked like a pit bull cross and I was frozen trying to quickly assess the situation. Most people in my town keep pit bulls for protection and they are pretty mean dogs and encouraged to be so! We've had several bad dog attacks in our town. I knew Tala would pick up on my fears, so I was trying to stay calm, it was a block away and coming fast. I remember saying "oh shit!" and I tried to pull Tala behind me. I know Siberians are not aggressive and only play rough, so I did not want her to fight. I also avoided eye contact with the other dog. I had no idea what to do if I was attacked but I wanted to keep Tala out of it.

The most amazing thing happened. Tala got in front of me and 'squared off' spread all four legs and stood straight legged. Her tail dropped and she very slowly lowered her head and made a very soft growl noise. The other dog came to a quick stop and they stared at each other for a moment. Tala was frozen and her growl was very soft, her hackles were not raised, which I found curious. Then the other turned and ran away, with his tail against his belly!! I walked down a side street and got myself home fast.

I called my friend who ran the siberian rescue group that we got Tala from and asked if it was normal and she said I should be very proud of her, she was protecting me! She told me that Tala did not have her hackles raised because she was telling the other dog that it could go one of two ways and she preferred not to fight.

That was a very unusual situation but I thought the body language relevant for this discussion. Normally in the beginning Tala was kind of bitchy with other dogs and acted like she had PMS. I finally explained this to the vet and he wondered if she was either in pain or in pain memory. So she was put on anti-inflamation meds and told not to mush. She changed over night, no more aggression or bitchiness! She was only on them for two months and she is still a sweety. The vet thinks it was pain memory from an old injury and she needed to relax her muscles and get over it.

I only had Tala and Mukki for a few months at the time, now it is different. I watch my dogs for signals. Now Tala is pretty good with other dogs and just does a cautious sniff greet response. I keep a very short leash on her when she greets another dog. I tell her 'careful Tala' and she will calm down. The 'careful' command is usually for when we are in a situation where I can get hurt, walking down a slippery slope or steep trail, then she will stop and wait for me but it also works when we meet other people or dogs. If the other dog growls or acts aggressive Tala will usually Woo Woo Woo yell at him, which makes everyone laugh.

Great story Cris :) I'd think 'oh shit' aswell if a pit bull type breed was charging towards me like that too!

Update on the behviourist situation, I contacted the lady who was about 5 mins away from me the otehr day and she does seem good but I have to get a vet referral to her and it 40 a session and a 30 call out charge! Im not too fussed about the session price but i think the 30 call out charge is rather ott so Im not sure if I will definately go to her yet, waiting for some comeback from others which I have contacted.

aww amy hopefully she will b worth it better u find out 1st if shes any good rather than payin it to find out shes rubbish can u not take gizmo to her then u wudnt have 2 pay a call out charge wud u?

I did ask that but she says the way she works is by doing either one or two home visits at first and then if necessary to do so, she will have us go to her group sessions or one to one sessions.

will do.

Have another quick update on Gizmo:

Was off work yesterday (hense why wasnt online), and took them out for a longer walk as had more time to do so. We saw a dog which was nasty to Gizmo when he was a puppy! Because of this, my anxiety level shot straight up but I tried my very best to stay as calm as I could be and didnt hold Gizmo back :confused: The other dog was also on a lead (he was on a lead the other time aswell) and started barking and growling and showing just his front teeth (Which I already know is a dominant/aggressive marker) at Gizmo and held his tail right up in the air with his tail wagging very slightly. The owner said he was just being friendly, yeah right that was definately NOT friendly! Gizmo went into his normal pose (tail curled right over his back upright no wagging, ears upward facing forward, standing as still as a statue, hackles was not present, looked directly at the other dog) and growled at the other dog, no teeth showing just a really slight low pitched growl (almost like a warning growl). Although I wanted to, I didnt hold him back and he never attacked the dog just stood his ground even though the other dog looked like he wanted Gizmos throat!

I told the other dogs owner that "I dont want a fight breaking out" and he said, "its ok my dog isnt aggressive he just want to say hello". I said "well, it looks like your dog want to kill mine and he has previously attacked Gizmo before when he was a puppy!" He kept going on about his dog was very friendly (what a load of b***ocks!) and getting rather annoyed with it, I started to walk away. It took me a while to make Gizmo start walking again but he did in the end and no fight broke out, phew!

I am getting the impression that Gizmo is being dominant but he doesnt really want to attack another dog, he just wants to stand his ground.

is the dog that attacked him as a pup the same breed or size as the other dog he growled at? maybe he's linking the two 2geva which is y hes doin this as its bringing back those bad memories? i dunno just a thought poor giz the bloke sounds like he has NO clue what so ever i h8 ppl like this grrr

a jerk is one word that came to mind along a few stronger words which I shall not repeat!

Not all the dogs he growls at are the same size. Im not sure exactly what breed the other dog was, looked like a mastiff mix but dont quote me on that, same mastiff type face anyway.